Herberton Apts, Dublin 8, Bad area?

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here but can you tell me why you are buying in a market that is falling dramatically ? I'm only asking out of curiosity. I am wondering what your thoughts are about the current state of the market and where it's going

I would imagine that most people buying a house are buying it for the medium-long term. Who knows where house prices will be in 5 years time? I know I couldn't give a hoot what house prices are at the moment, because we're settled for the next few years at least and maybe longer.

Your point about buying in a falling market is a fair one, but with the way things are at the moment, mortgages are becoming more and more expensive. In our case, we got a loan offer last September for 95%, tracking at ECB+.75% and closed in May. I just checked the equivalent rate and it's ECB+2.55% which we would simply not have been able to afford. And there's no way we could have gotten a 10% deposit together. So you can wait a few months to save a few thousand euro, but those savings will be more than eaten up by the more expensive credit.

So while it might be a fair point to say people are fools for buying in a falling market, it really isn't as black and white as that.

We're in and all is good. Be aware that the car park is far from finished and susceptible to flooding at the moment. Sky TV will not be available in the 29 core for 1-2 weeks, as they haven't powered the dish. NTL broadband will not install until an post has registered the addresses, which will be at least 2 weeks. Post still being delivered to the door by the development company.

G.

Hi all
Gcooke - great that you are in and all ok. I suspect we are close neighbours!
I am due to do second snag today - it has been a long slog.
Naidy - I got in a professional - expensive but worth every penny. 127 items in the end! Let me know how you get on.

Hi again
Did you hear about DIT having students moving into Herberton in September??
[broken link removed]

Hi again
Did you hear about DIT having students moving into Herberton in September??
[broken link removed]

Hey,
yeh, I just heard about that today. I've a booking deposit on an apt in Block B and the news of this is worrying me big time. I spoke with the estate agent today and he said that the students would be in Block F - I'm going down this eve to see how far on that Block is. I suspect that a lot may be in Block B as it's completed - not sure what state the other blocks are in.
I also rang the student accommodation number in DIT - got conflicting info from them. They seem to think that the student accommodation will be scattered throughout the development. It's hard find accurate info.
Sue31

The only block that is (looks) complete is block B, so I'm not sure how they're going to get students into block F for September. Definitely hope they're not in block B.

Hi gcooke,
yeh, I went down yesterday evening for a drive to look around. Block B is certainly the only one finished and ready to move into. Block F at the end is well on but it would be another 4-6 weeks min I imagine before its ready. Have you moved in yet??
DIT are having an open viewing for DIT studnets tomorrow and Sunday - I'm going down tomorrow to talk to them and see where the students will be living. Will keep you posted.
Sue31

And i've just seen this on www.chubbproperties.com

"From September 2008 Herberton will accommodate up to 150 students in new 1,2 and 3 bedroom apartments". And then it continues...

“Expansion Plans for Herberton”
“Expansion plans include additional student accommodation (my emphasis), shopping area and a new leisure centre with swimming pool weights room and soccer pitch. We hope that some of these facilities will be open by the end of may – however we cannot guarantee that this will happen and students may have to wait till September 2009 for these exciting new additions”.

That's not looking too good. Any other thoughts/opinions.
Sue31

Okay, so there were viewings today, students with parents being shown around and all of them were being taken to block F, which has progressed quickly recently. The road leading up to block F and down to the car park has been laid and looks near completion. It semms like the information that all students will be in block F is true. As far as I know, block B is all sold to private owners bar a few still left. Anyone who has an apartment in B can, it seems, be fairly sure thet there will not be a mass student influx.

G.

My information is that there will be a lot more studnets moving in when blocks C and D are finished - another 700 approx in addition to the 150 that are moving in this Sept.
Anyone got views on this. Not sure about living with so many studnets around. Will it de-value the development as a whole do you think in the long run?
S

Hi all
Apartment was finally completed yesterday - 2 months after initial snag! Hope to move in in next few weeks - yay!
According to the foreman all the students are going in F and they are making a concerted effort on that block to get it done on time. There are only 30 something apts and 150 students, so def a lot of shared rooms.
Naidy123 - good point about more people walking around the area (and probably at pub chucking out time).

Gcooke - can I ask what the deal was with you and the service charge please? Did you have to pay for the year upfront or is it a monthly charge or please God is it free for the first year?!
Thanks.

Gcooke - can I ask what the deal was with you and the service charge please? Did you have to pay for the year upfront or is it a monthly charge or please God is it free for the first year?!
Thanks.

Full charge upfront.

The service charge is very cheap for the first year, be prepared for it to increase next year.

G.

The service fee depends on the size of your apt. and whether you have a parking space. Ask your agent / sol.

RE:Broadband at Herberton

When we bought, we were told that the building had Sky and NTL and was wired for phone, TV and broadband. You would presume that that means it’s wired for NTL broadband, right?

NTL told me that the development is not wired for broadband. Which means the options are eircom (€121 to turn line on then €25 line rental before you pay anything for broadband) and mobile broadband (very slow speeds, inconsistent connection, download limits). This is not exactly what was promised.

Our last apartment was built in 1980 and even that has cable broadband!

So, has anyone been able to get a broadband connection at Herberton?

G.

Which means the options are eircom (€121 to turn line on then €25 line rental before you pay anything for broadband) and mobile broadband (very slow speeds, inconsistent connection, download limits). This is not exactly what was promised.

If you have an Eircom landline, then presumably BT/UTV and others can provide broadband over this line?

If you have an Eircom landline, then presumably BT/UTV and others can provide broadband over this line?

They can, but the landline has to be activated, which basically means eircom charge €121 to send a guy in a van for half an hour. Then you have to pay €25 per month line rental before any broadband charges. All inclusive, after the install fee, this works out at about €50 per month, far more expensive than ntl at €20 p.m. ntl's customer service may be woefull (i have never, ever recieved a call back when promised, after 4 years as a customer) but their product is the best value out there, and for first time buyers especially, money is tight.

G.

The service fee depends on the size of your apt. and whether you have a parking space. Ask your agent / sol.

RE:Broadband at Herberton

When we bought, we were told that the building had Sky and NTL and was wired for phone, TV and broadband. You would presume that that means it’s wired for NTL broadband, right?

NTL told me that the development is not wired for broadband. Which means the options are eircom (€121 to turn line on then €25 line rental before you pay anything for broadband) and mobile broadband (very slow speeds, inconsistent connection, download limits). This is not exactly what was promised.

G.

We were told the same thing about NTL so I assumed that we could use broadband there. Did they mention if they are planning to have this service enabled in the near future? They have very good offers for new customers and now that money is tight it would be the best option. I am not happy about this

Was told that they have NTL. If its true then broadband should not be a problem.
What do you think about having GAS boilers instead of ELECTRIC? The cost is high and also safety issues? Will we have a constant supply?
Any comments?

Back