Herberton Apts, Dublin 8, Bad area?

Hey, has anyone had to replace one of the frosted bathroom ceiling lights? Can't figure it out!

Maybe ask the builders - unless you broke it yourself it really shouldn't be gone already. I'm sure they wouldn't mind showing you at least.

Hi All,

Just wondering has anyone started to move into Block A yet? We're signing contracts tomorrow and was just wondering will we be waiting long before me move in. How did peoples snag lists go, anything we should keep an eye out for.

Hey Hetch22,
I'm waiting for more then two months for block A face to Reuben Street, It's missing a Area Certificate. I hope to get in soon, in July my loan offer will expire. I'm very unhappy about that.

Regard
Samuel

Hey Samuel,
Thanks for the info. I'll follow the Area Cert up straight away. hope you get sorted soon.

Hetch22

Hey.

I signed for my Apt in Block A 3 weeks ago and completed my final snag last week.... still waiting to get my keys.

I've done some research of the area and I will lay out some facts for you flippent remark people.

For those of you that don't know Herberton it is a development right at the Fatima Luas stop (Luas red line). It occupies the site of the old Fatima Mansions. [broken link removed]

-150 or so units for former Fatima Mansions residents. Re-settled in duplex style housing to the back of the development. A lot of the kids from said families play in the playground and football pitch to the back of Block A, seen here: http://www.herberton.ie/plans.asp

-70 Affordable units
-396 Regular units

- Currently Block F to the West of Block A consists nearly exclusively of DIT/trinity students.
-Occupancy of the commercial units underneath the development is nearly non-existant with just two units leased (A laundrete and a a taxi shop on on the south ground floor of Block A)
- Occupancy of blocks C and D to the rear of blocks A and B have some questions marks over them (does anyone anything about these)?
- Sometimes teenage kids can hang around, but I know the area, you will never see personal violence or anything like that. This is by no means gang land Dublin. You may see bored kids, you may even see a broken window. So yes it is safe but no you wont see Ross O'Carroll kelly hanging around.
- The area is quick a good example of regeneration, see below link:
- [broken link removed]

- The leisure center underground at the front (north Side) of Block D is fantastic - I've used it and would recommend it.
- Immediately south of James Hospital.
- 5 minutes walk to LIDL on Cork st.
- 5 minutes walk to Rialto.
- 5 minutes walk to Spar/Insominia at the bottome of Ruben st.
- 6 minutes walk to Tesco Express.
- 21 minute walk to St. Stephens green.
- 11 minutes on the Luas to the Jervis stop.
- 3 minutes on the luas to Heuston station.

Future (If you have faith the country wont go broke this section is fo you)
- Sigificant development is to take place at the James hospital site. there will be a access via a walkway just north of where Rialto luas stop currently is.
- Red Luas line to branch off to Lucan (via liffey valley) and on to trinity. Called line f. [broken link removed]
- Dart underground plan with stop in Heuston.
- Although now on hold, their is an ambitous re-development plan for devlopment of Dolphin house and the surrounding area. About 500 meters north of here: [broken link removed]
- Superquinn (and many other things) planned for HSQ development 10 minutes walk north of here. Or a 3 minute Luas ride to Heuston + 2 minutes walk.

Affordable Housing Open Day.

It is true that an affordable housing open day took place on the 17th of October 2009. 100 price lists were printed by Dublin City Council. 5 mins after everyone was let in to the marketing suite they were all gone. There was a lot of people putting 3,000 booking deposits down. Everyone there were regular people, a lot appeared to be young professionals. In actual fact I nearly witnessed a fight over the 3 bed penthouses in Block A. They were going for 221,000. I've been in one, they have fantastic views of the Dublin moutains to the south-west and the city to the East. I would conservatively guess that 30+ booking deposits were put down.

Prices:

Hooke and McDonald:
1 bed from 154,000
2 bed from 199,000
3 bed from 274,000
Car parking space: 5,000

Affordable:
1 bed from 136,000
2 bed from 178,500
3 bed from 199,750
Car parking space: 10,000 (I know it's Double??)

I would say the affordable house prices look right to me. I wager that this is either the bottom or very close. I base this on yields. Currently those kind of prices represent a yield of 6-7%, which is pretty good from an investment stand point. My opinion on this is those buying at affordable house prices (provided the aprartment is in good nic - loads of light etc) can't go too far wrong. Though probably wont see the price of their apartment rise much in the next 3-5 years.

Conclusion:
So that's it people. Is it a close location to the city center? Yes. Is it well served by transport? yes. Is there potential for the area to get even better? -yes. Will there be kids hanging around on occassion thinking they're tough? - Yes. Will you get stabbed or offered heroin? - no.

Opinion:
I know some people are different but I've lived in both Ranelagh and Rialto. In my opinion Ross O'Carroll Kelly and the boys are just (if not more) annoying that any of the residents to the back of Herberton. Though if you want a 700,000 mortgage, snobs for neighbours and over-priced coffee then that's your business.

Questions?

Does anyone have hard facts on occupancy? B looks well occupied but I'd like a number? A looks less occupied but as it was finished later I imagine there's less occupancy.

Sigificant development is to take place at the James hospital site. there will be a access via a walkway just north of where Rialto luas stop currently is.
Subject to planning permission of course.

Will there be kids hanging around on occassion thinking they're tough? - Yes. Will you get stabbed or offered heroin? - no.
Eh, actually, heroin is available. But there is a local drugs team as well!

I know some people are different but I've lived in both Ranelagh and Rialto. Though if you want a 700,000 mortgage, snobs for neighbours and over-priced coffee then that's your business.

Why look for just transport out of the place? Also on your doorstep:

2 mins - St. Andrews Community Centre,S.C.R including artist studio, senior citizens day care centre, Rialto drug team, local meetings e.g. Environment Groupand, the truly incredible Rialto Variety Group (panto coming up in January), African church on Sundays
2 mins - Rialto Parish Centre - site of various clubs, committees incl. Rialto Residents Association, Citizens advice centre, dance, yoga etc.
2 mins - Real local shops - Ennis Butchers, Kays Flowers, Boulangerie Cafe and the usual assortment of post office, centra, chipper & take way. Bird Flanagan pub has trad music sessions played by locals every second Tuesday night and not forgetting the Credit Union.

So feel free to drop in to to find out what's going on locally and meet your neighbours.:D

Good Points.
St James PPP in my opnion will definitely go ahead, though not in it's current form. Still though a new private hospital in addition to the one that's there can only add to future demand for the area ie Itll take a good few staff to man an 8 story building.

You make good points regarding local activities. I'd like to see more focused on the growing population of young professionals in the area though.

Regarding drugs, of course you can get them, I'm originally from a village in the west of Ireland and you can get drugs there. My point is the area doesn't resemble a side alley of Amsterdam. It's a regular area.

how low - agree its a grand area but be under no illusions - drugs are a major feature of rialto area nad if you were to listen to the papers it IS the centre of gangland - most main players in so called drimnagh crumlin feud are from coombe/rialto/and of course crumlin and drimnagh (where i live myself so dont think i'm bad mouthing these areas)- not that this will ever feature in normal peoples day to day lives.

best of luck to al who have bought here - its a great community and people should try and get involved into it asnd not as D8 lady says be looking for trnasport routes out

BICIP, you know an lot about a lot of different areas judging an your earlier posts all area related?? BTW Rialto is a fine area in my opinion.

Hi, I live in Herberton, moved in within the past 4 weeks. Apartments are well-finished, spacious, warm, comfortable. Brilliant amenities at our doorstep: LUAS, a huge selection of buses on the Coombe side, Rialto village (post office, 2 pubs, hardware shop, fantastic butchers, 2 grocery stores, bookies, Chinese and chipper.. and on and on..). OK so there may be 1 or 2 bad eggs, but is there an area which doesn't? Certainly I've never encountered anything which makes me even remotely question buying here - and I've walked about at all hours.

Overall there is a great sense of community and it is developing. There is a very close link between the community, the Gardaí and the city council.

The empty shop units are a testament to the economic situation rather than a comment on the area. BTW the cab company and the lundrette/dry cleaners each provide a great service!

Very good piece on the redevelopment that led to Herberton from Fatima on drivetime yesterday evening. I believe the president is visiting there today. It was on of the monologues they do - Fergus Finlay I think. It may be available to podcast for those here who are interested.

Very good piece on the redevelopment that led to Herberton from Fatima on drivetime yesterday evening. I believe the president is visiting there today. It was on of the monologues they do - Fergus Finlay I think. It may be available to podcast for those here who are interested.

Thanks for that. Wasn't on Podcast but it's here, about min 54. http://www.rte.ie/news/drivetime/

Hi I am in the process of buying an apartment in Block D.

I have found this thread really useful. I can see that most of the amenities that you would want are close by. just wondering if there is a video shop around?

Lynsalot

Why on earth would you call anyones child a "SCUMBAG" you obviously dont have kids yourself.
As for the kids playing around the lift area and the carpark area it is all due to lack of playing facilities for them. They are kids after all who will obviously get bored when there is nothing to keep them occupied. As for the playground the kids loved having it to play in and because of one of the residents in the private block facing the playing the childrens swing has been removed. The kids dont take kindly to grown woman screaming at them from there balconys calling them all sorts of names which is a disgrace.

If all the residents in the private apartments tried to interact with the people in the area instead of complaining and thinking they are in anyway better than them they might have a different opinion of them and might not have so many problems to complain about.

I can tell you for sure that calling someone's child a "SCUMBAG" is a really bad an offensive thing to do and noone will take kindly to that. You all need to realise that all these people were born and raised in this area, and they are really nice hard working people most of whom work in the community and will always stand together against anyone trying to verbally or physically abuse there children.

Maybe it would be best if you all came down from the clouds your living in and instead of annoying the existing community by complaining about them and verbally abusing there children on the net for the world to see you could actually try and interact with them and try form a better community instead of making it worse by complaining about stupid things as this is only going to cause more problems for yourselves in the futher. Th e existing community are quiet protective of each other and dont take kindly to people making stupid complaints to DCC about the residents which as a result could make families homeless over these stupid complaints you seem to have.

In futher try and speak or interact with the residents in the area and trust me you will see a big difference.

I know that this is slightly off topic but addressing the above post;
DCC do not evict families over 'stupid' complaints. It takes numerous, verifiable transgressions against the agreed residency rules before it is even considered.

I would have thought with the new F2 Centre, the new all weather football pitch and a nice landscaped green area, the kids should have plenty to do to keep them occupied, at least compared to most other kids in the country. Irrespective of that, does the 'lack of playing facilities for them' give them the excuse to vandalise everything that is nice about the development?

Back