Herberton Apts, Dublin 8, Bad area?

Hi,

I have also received a call to say that I have been selected for a 2 bed apartment. I have read everyone's views on the area which is a great help. However I am worried that I will be given a ground floor apartment. Do all the apartments have retail/shops underneath the apartment blocks? or will some blocks just have ground floor apartments? Worried about security. €20,000 extra for parking space but dont know if I will be offered a parking space, yet to find out. Can only find plans for block A and B. Does anyone have plans for any other blocks in the development?

Hi, I also received a call from Dublin City Council for a 3 bed apt. I think if you are willing to pay extra you can get an apt off the ground floor. Seems the developer has a good reputation structural and nice finishing touches so hopefully you won't hear the neighbours snoring like you can in some of the apt schemes in the good ole days:) I'm going to view the show apt some time this week.

Went to snag today. Minor plumbing problem in the kitchen which caused some water to appear where it shouldn't have when we filled the sink. Aside from that, very little else bar a few cosmetic things.

We have to re-snag in a couple of days when they fix the plumbing. The corridor flooring in the core to the right as you look at the building only goes to the first floor. Everything else looks ready to go...

G.

Why are people against buying one of these apartments facing the luas- is it because of anti social behaviour or is it because it would be north facing?

I've bought in Block B facing the Luas line - well, the bedrooms do, the living room faces south.
I did my snag last week and there were a few serious problems.

Put a deposit down and have asked to see if they could make one or two changes to storage but have not heard back. Has anyone been successful with similar requests.

I've bought in Block B facing the Luas line - well, the bedrooms do, the living room faces south.
I did my snag last week and there were a few serious problems.

Chopstix, can you tell us what kind of problems there were? Thanks!

The main problem was in the bathroom. The tiles in the shower cubicle weren't set in the tray properly - it would only take the sealant to go to cause a leak - it was the same in the other apartments I looked at. The toilets didn't refill properly, the bath was cracked and there was a hole underneath the shower hose.
Does anyone remember in the original show house whether there was a shelf over the washbasin in the ensuite? Also looking at the specs there are supposed to be 'brushed chrome effect to selected lightswitches & sockets' - I don't think I have those either!

Unless it actually stated in your contract that you are to get 'brushed chrome effect' fittings then there is usually nothing to prevent the developers from putting in what they like. I had this problem in the past. I got a lovely glossy sales brochure detailing all the great luxury finishes and items that an apartment would have (not Herberton by the way), but in reality none of it materialised. There is always some small print somewhere stating it is 'subject to change' etc...

The main problem was in the bathroom. The tiles in the shower cubicle weren't set in the tray properly - it would only take the sealant to go to cause a leak - it was the same in the other apartments I looked at. The toilets didn't refill properly, the bath was cracked and there was a hole underneath the shower hose.
Does anyone remember in the original show house whether there was a shelf over the washbasin in the ensuite? Also looking at the specs there are supposed to be 'brushed chrome effect to selected lightswitches & sockets' - I don't think I have those either!

Thanks a lot for the info, Chopstix. Very useful to know what to look out for. :) Yes, I see the mention the chrome effect in the brochure and it's still on the website... I'm sure they were smart enough not to put it in the contracts...

Herberton seems to be stuck in perpetual limbo. According to the solicitor, they're now waiting on closing documents from Dublin Corporation.

so how long does that take in total for DCC to ring u to do the snag, the builder to de-snag, and u re-snag, then for them to send the contract out?

Naidy & Gcooke - have you both had your snaggling completed? Ours is 'in progress' but the foreman never mentioned anything about holidays! We got the completion notice though. The interest rate has shot up since putting the deposit down last year as well. Am desparate to get in at this stage.

Naidy & Gcooke - have you both had your snaggling completed? Ours is 'in progress' but the foreman never mentioned anything about holidays! We got the completion notice though. The interest rate has shot up since putting the deposit down last year as well. Am desparate to get in at this stage.

Hi - good to year that you got your completion notice. That's the final thing we're waiting for. The builders are working through the holidays due to the amount of work to be done, according to the foreman, so we're expecting to check the completed snag this week, but that might run on a little longer.

The interest rate is a pain in the head all right, but it's a worthy price to pay to be finally free from landlords!

G.

Gcooke - great news to hear about the builders working through the holidays. We got the completion notice a while back so I'm surprised you haven't - I seem to recall you doing your snagging before me. Being landord free will be great though.
Naidy, I bought my furniture in the January sales so it's been a hassle holding them all off. To be fair they were all fine except from Clerys, luckily I had only ordered a chair from them.

Gcooke - great news to hear about the builders working through the holidays. We got the completion notice a while back so I'm surprised you haven't - I seem to recall you doing your snagging before me. Being landord free will be great though.

We got it today. Now the final thing is to wait for them to finish the snag. We need one of the solid-wood steps on our staircase replaced, I think this may hold them up the most.

We hired a big van during the last IKEA sale, 21% off, and bought everything - couch, bed, table, chairs, kitchenware etc., in one go. Much cheaper than in Dublin!

G.

gcooke - that's fantastic news! Good luck with the move. I'm supposed to be doing second snag today so hopefully I won't be that far behind you!

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here but can you tell me why you are buying in a market that is falling dramatically ? I'm only asking out of curiosity. I am wondering what your thoughts are about the current state of the market and where it's going

Last edited by a moderator:
Back