Aviva says lowest car Insurance quote available is €280.

The fact you had to explain this to them in order for it to happen says a lot about the insurance industry!
Lots of problems with my car insurance......I hope that they will finally be sorted this week.

Then I did my wife's car insurance yesterday.......you wouldn't believe the amount of trouble I had with that as well.

So much so.....I said to my wife today.....I don't care what price Aviva charge me next year.....I will not be giving them our business.

This doesn't help matters. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/12/aviva-pledges-to-return-4bn-to-shareholders

Our insurance costs are going up so that they can return funds to their shareholders.

Why wait until next year to go elsewhere?
Can't you cancel within the 14 day cooling off period?

Why wait until next year to go elsewhere?
Can't you cancel within the 14 day cooling off period?
I don't have the energy to start again. I am just about to start the process of shopping around for a better energy price.....also transferring my dd's, so's, state pensions, private pensions etc. from the Ulster Bank to a new bank. I'm like a blue arsed fly half the time....

I don't have the energy to start again. I am just about to start the process of shopping around for a better energy price.....also transferring my dd's, so's, state pensions, private pensions etc. from the Ulster Bank to a new bank. I'm like a blue arsed fly half the time....
Fair enough. I can understand that! :(

I see that the motor insurance industry are back to their old tricks again, despite recent promises made...

My renewal has just landed and they are trying to increase the premium by about 26% - I've full NCD, No Points, Full licence etc etc.

The government and regulator need to finally take action on this issue!

I see that the motor insurance industry are back to their old tricks again, despite recent promises made...

My renewal has just landed and they are trying to increase the premium by about 26% - I've full NCD, No Points, Full licence etc etc.

The government and regulator need to finally take action on this issue!
I presume that you will shop around for suitable cover at a better price?

Family member saw big increase in premium with Aviva to €800, was able to get same cover €200 cheaper with Allianz.

But... the quote was taken out and completed 2 weeks ago and there's been no contact \ docs \ request for info from Allianz. Credit card not charged.
Cover isn't needed for another 2 weeks, so maybe it's just a case of waiting for their system to catch up?
It's not urgent so not willing to burn 20 minutes on hold if it's just a case of sit tight.

Anyone else in this limbo with new provider?

But one thing I always do after receiving their renewals is to call and ask if they can do any better which always results in a further 10% discount
Renewal arrived in the other day for €331 so I rang as normal thinking they give me a little discount but aware that the minimum premium is now gone up to €310 so might not get the usual 10% and was a little shocked that they could do nothing for me and €331 was the best they could offer.
I declined to renew and decided to check online with 123 who offered €358 but I also checked with Aviva online and got a better quote, so I
re-rang renewals to ask why but was transferred to new business who took me on as a new customer for a premium of €317
How is that good business practice wasting my time and their time, at least half an hour on the phone for €14??

But good news (and about time) rather than sending me out a disc in the post, their going to send it by email and I print it out at home :D

Just be careful. I went through this ordeal recently and they messed up my existing insurance. They never linked my new policy to my existing policies with them, so when my other policies came up for renewal I was never given the extra discount for having a number of policies with them.

Good point Odea and something to watch out for at renewals but should easy enough to sort with a quick phone call (he says naively;))

Every year I look for a quote as a new customer rather than just renew my existing insurance. Without fail, they never have linked my "new" insurance to my existing policies. It is always left to me to spot this and make the phone call. I always ask why this is never picked up on and they say "it is just one of those things with our system".

Insurance definitely coming down.
Aviva €310 - my lowest ever

It actually came in at €254, but minimum is €310

So reduced excess to €125 and added step back and protected NCB to "use" the €56.

Also, code AUDI2022 gives additional 10% over all other discounts

Last edited:
Something that has only occurred to me since renewing is going forward with Aviva is to make sure I'm using the Loyalty discounts to their best advantage. we have three policy's with Aviva the house and two cars so we get a 15% discount off two policy's House and one car and the Mrs C gets a further 10% off the second car policy
Mrs C's policy comes in at €203.10 + 92.14 MPC + 14.76 GL bringing her up to €310 with Journey wise, €125 excess & PNCD
Mine is €302.20 + 15.11 GL giving a total of 317.31 with only PNCD
If I had the used the multi-car discount I could have reduced the excess from €300 to €125 and added journey wise for €310 or some other combination

But what has really shocked me is the difference in gross premium between the two of us, both full NCD, no points and retired fully comp
Me: Nissan 131 Juke Nismo €936.56, Her: 07 Qashqai €607.91!!!!!!

You also get free travel insurance with Aviva if you have car and house insurance. They don't tell you.....you have to know this.

Insurance definitely coming down.
Aviva €310 - my lowest ever

It actually came in at €254, but minimum is €310

So reduced excess to €125 and added step back and protected NCB to "use" the €56.

Also, code AUDI2022 gives additional 10% over all other discounts
Thanks for this tip, I was about the same so getting the reduced excess and the protected NCD to use up the “minimum cost premium”. Must search for a discount code.

Thanks for this tip, I was about the same so getting the reduced excess and the protected NCD to use up the “minimum cost premium”. Must search for a discount code.
AUDI2022 was valid last week.

You don't need to have an Audi.

Thanks. The discount code seems to be still working. Aviva last year €300 (maybe their minimum price last year?). Comprehensive with a sister as named driver to reduce the price. Renewal just came in. €420! And that's not even taking account of the fact that I'm currently not working and my sister is now retired - both of which result in a loading with many insurers. If I go onto their website and enter the up-to-date details the premium comes out at €350. If I use the discount code and increase the excess I get it down to €310. TPFT would do me as it's an inexpensive car but that's also €310. Mad stuff. I thought that price walking with renewals had been banned this year?

Back