Aviva says lowest car Insurance quote available is €280.

In case it helps anybody else, I ignored the renewal of my existing policy (€420) and took out a new policy as if I was a new customer via their (Aviva) website (€310) and was able to then simply add the new policy to my existing MyAviva account online without having to call them or anything.
Did I read somewhere that it is no longer allowed to offer cheaper car insurance to new customers, than existing customers on their renewal on a like for like basis?

Did I read somewhere that it is no longer allowed to offer cheaper car insurance to new customers, than existing customers on their renewal on a like for like basis?
That is definitely the situation with house insurance. Price has nearly doubled this year for me as they can no longer offer discounts to attract new customers and the large jump in rebuild costs.

That is definitely the situation with house insurance
Definitely not for car insurance. My renewal quote was for €380 with Aviva. I got quote as a new customer and it was €310. When I added extras such as "Protected No Claims discount" plus "Lower Excess" plus "Journey Wise Cover", the quote was still €310.

However, as per usual with Aviva there is a problem with their online quotation system. When I clicked on each of the extras, I never got any confirmation that they had been added/included in my policy. When I looked at my policy breakdown details...nothing. When you click on the add button, nothing happens.
I then had to make a phone call to their customer service department to see if these had been included. I am not sure if they were, but I got them included anyhow.
I then had the ordeal of asking them to drag the information contained in my existing policy to my new policy. This took some time to do. It will be interesting to see if the paperwork sent to me for my new policy will ask me to "send in" details from my old insurance company. This seems to happen every year, despite me confirming to them that I am actually an existing customer, and to drag my details across to my new policy.

Another new feature, not explained to me properly, is that when you talk to a customer service agent and want to pay your premium using a debit or credit card you no longer give the details to the person. You either have to input your card details by pressing the buttons on your phone or by speaking to a computer. This process was not explained very well......I just heard a few bleeping sounds....I thought that my phone had been disconnected. I was about to hang up when I heard a voice telling me to input my card number, which I did.....then total silence. I wasn't told that I have 26 seconds to do this. I did it in a few seconds and then sat in silence until the 26 seconds had passed, thinking I had been disconnected again. You have to do this for each stage of the process.......card number......security number on back of card......expiry date of card.
Needs to be explained before the process commences.

282 third party, fire/theft with Allianz. 330 comprehensive. Both quotes include spouse as named driver. Got them online. No other policy with them

Just received my renewal quote. Lat year €310, this year €396. No changes, same car (Hyundai i10.) Thats a 28% increase. Looks like I'll be making a few phone calls. Cars 09, so that might go against it.

Just back after putting in the details on line with Aviva (current insurer). came back with €310 again as the quote (with €56.49 online discount ). Now that I think of it, I think I remember doing this last year, and taking out the online policy. As they already had my details it was easy to point them back to my aviva online account for retrieval.

So remember, it pays to shop around. 5 mins work got me €86 off.

Last edited:
Just back after putting in the details on line with Aviva (current insurer). came back with €310 again as the quote (with €56.49 online discount ).
I thought that price walking was illegal now?
I had a similar experience with them last year.

I've seen similar fun and games with an Allianz renewal
I was offered a renewal at only €5 cheaper - odd as I have an increasing NCD and 3 penalty points just expired.

Drilling in for me - It's not a new customer discount, it's a discount for purchasing online. Renewals get a completely different Self Service discount.
I'm of course entitled to the Online discount even as an existing customer, so they can claim they are complying in their opinion with the laws.
Online I was able to get €788.39 - with no breakdown provided.

Online discount ~20%
Renewal self-service discount ~7%

Reminds me a lot of the Direct Debit discounts and paperless billing discounts with Energy companies, which seems to me like price discrimination against older customers or at least those less trusting of billing just working without double checking each bill.

1676548567383.png

1676548640925.png

Got a renewal notice from 123.ie - 100 euro more expensive on the renewal notice compared to putting my details in again on their website. I guess they hope people wont bother checking.

Got a renewal notice from 123.ie - 100 euro more expensive on the renewal notice compared to putting my details in again on their website. I guess they hope people wont bother checking.
Is there anything to be said for reporting it to the regulator?

Insurance was always going to go up this year as the returns on investments on the cash they hold were negative.

Even though they have the cash in "safe" investments, these performed badly too.

I'm shopping for motor insurance at the moment.

Heard the AIG ad and looked for an online quote, came in at 299 for comprehensive.
I need to go through it line by line though to see what is included/ excluded.

Rang current insurer, they came down by about 40 euro from 427, on the call.
Going to look for a quote from SuperValu too. I found them competitive on price for other insurance recently.

Heard the AIG ad and looked for an online quote, came in at 299 for comprehensive.
Seems to the minimum at the moment. AIG advertise that minimum quote is 280, but that's before 7% levies, bringing it to 299.

Aviva minimum is 310, including levies. There is a further discount for shareholders.

SuperValu will be tied to AXA minimum premium, but you might get a grocery voucher from them.

My sister had a similar situation last week. Got her Allianz renewal which was up from last year. She called them and went through it with the representative. When no further discounts were forthcoming she asked him what else she could do. He said she could go online to the Allianz site and see if she could get a better deal there but that he wouldn't be able to help with that as it had to be done fully online. She did and did get a significantly better deal online as a "new" rather than renewing customer. So, price walking is still alive and kicking? :(

PS - she did shop around elsewhere and Allianz were still the best deal on offer.

From what I can see the following minimum premiums apply at the moment - only AIG seem to clarify that theirs includes the 7% insurance levies so I'm not sure about the others...
  • 123.ie (RSA): ?
  • AA (AXA, Allianz, Aviva, RSA, Liberty, Zurich, KennCo): €306.02
  • AIG: €280 + 7% = €299.60
  • Allianz: €284
  • An Post (3 underwriters - FBD + 2 others): €325 or €355 depending on underwriter
  • Aviva: €310
  • AXA: €333
  • Chill (14 underwriters): ?
  • FBD: €399
  • GetSetGo.ie (AIG): ?
  • Its4Women (AIG): ?
  • KennCo: €335?
  • Liberty: ?
  • QuoteDevil (Axa, Aviva, Kennco, Lloyds, Wrightway, Sertus, ARB, RSA, XS Direct): ?
  • SuperValu (AXA): ?
  • Zurich: ?

If the online quote comes in at the minimum level it is worthwhile adding extra cover to see if this results in an extra charge. Quite often no extra charge will apply as the new quote is still below the minimum level. You could for example, improve your no claims bonus protection.

Back