Aviva says lowest car Insurance quote available is €280.

10Y+ Full license, full no claims, no previous claims, points etc. Added my mother as a named driver (she will never drive the car). Premium reduces €70 :rolleyes:

10Y+ Full license, full no claims, no previous claims, points etc. Added my mother as a named driver (she will never drive the car). Premium reduces €70 :rolleyes:
Why the :rolleyes: ?
With some insurers adding a named driver will increase the premium.
A reduction of €70 is not nothing.
But I've no idea what the overall premium is.

I used the discount code, and got AV. shareholder discount
e295 premium.
You mean they give an additional discount to Aviva shareholders?

Says here that their minimum premium is €310:

Why the :rolleyes: ?
With some insurers adding a named driver will increase the premium.
A reduction of €70 is not nothing.
But I've no idea what the overall premium is.

70 is about 15%. I basically got the discount for supplying my mothers details without any actual risk reduction. I wouldn’t have thought that would be the case with my driving and claims history. It’s just goes to show there is still plenty of fat in motor insurance premiums still.

70 is about 15%. I basically got the discount for supplying my mothers details without any actual risk reduction. I wouldn’t have thought that would be the case with my driving and claims history. It’s just goes to show there is still plenty of fat in motor insurance premiums still.
Presumably this insurer's actuaries have calculated that, on average, adding such a named driver to the policy will involve a lower risk even if, in specific cases such as yours, it sometimes doesn't really make much difference?

Last edited:
Anybody know... If I'm already with Aviva and (as explained above) can get cover for 25% less by going to their website as if I was a new customer rather than renewing the existing policy, can I just buy that cover or will that cause confusion/problems with cover, my online account etc.? I really don't want to have to call them to deal with this as I'm fed up with companies' ridiculous phone systems and hold times.

Anybody know... If I'm already with Aviva and (as explained above) can get cover for 25% less by going to their website as if I was a new customer rather than renewing the existing policy, can I just buy that cover or will that cause confusion/problems with cover, my online account etc.? I really don't want to have to call them to deal with this as I'm fed up with companies' ridiculous phone systems and hold times.
Yes you can buy online.

But as new customer you have to upload all your details to the system again within 30 days (NCB, Tax and Licenses) or I just called them after it was bought and gave them a new policy number and old policy number the guy put me on hold for around 5 mins and came to say it was all done. Simple enought

You have to print your Insurance cert and disk on colour printer

If I'm already with Aviva and (as explained above) can get cover for 25% less by going to their website as if I was a new customer
@ClubMan - yes, you can buy the policy as a new customer even though you are with them already (just gone through the process myself) - you will need to upload your NCB via myaviva login from your existing policy to your new policy - that is all that they should need, but again check the over letter via myaviva to see if there is anything else that you may need.

You can opt in to print your own disc or get them to post it out (which will take around 5 days from your renewal day).

Just to note re: printing own disc, it takes a few hours on the day your policy comes into force for it to appear in My Aviva.

I assumed it would be an overnight batch, so logged on at 8am on the morning... wasn't there.

It was there by 4pm.

Thanks for the info in response to my query above - even if it's a bit inconsistent. :) I've still a few days before I can renew but when I do I'll probably just buy online as a "new" customer. I really can't face more phone calls and ridiculous hold times.

Thanks for the info in response to my query above - even if it's a bit inconsistent. :) I've still a few days before I can renew but when I do I'll probably just buy online as a "new" customer. I really can't face more phone calls and ridiculous hold times.
If you can phone at just after 9am when the lines open my experience is you get dealt with very quickly. Backlog builds up over the day.

If you can phone at just after 9am when the lines open my experience is you get dealt with very quickly. Backlog builds up over the day.
Thanks @odyssey06 - but I've tried that with other companies to no avail. These days I try to avoid calling any company if I can avoid it because they all seem to have ridiculous hold times. Far too frustrating.

In case it helps anybody else, I ignored the renewal of my existing policy (€420) and took out a new policy as if I was a new customer via their (Aviva) website (€310) and was able to then simply add the new policy to my existing MyAviva account online without having to call them or anything.

Just be careful. I went through this ordeal recently and they messed up my existing insurance. They never linked my new policy to my existing policies with them, so when my other policies came up for renewal I was never given the extra discount for having a number of policies with them.
Just got my renewal quote from Aviva.

The price has gone from €310 to €382.

Last year, I was on the minimum amount that could be charged but it also included a €125 excess, Journey Wise Insurance and Protected No Claims discount. I still had funds to spare in the minimum charge of €310.

This year all these things are extra on the policy.

However, yet again for the umpteenth time they have not recorded the fact that my wife's car is also insured with them or that my home is insured with them.

Why do I have to ring them every year to remind them of this.

Maybe they are hoping I won't notice?

However, yet again for the umpteenth time they have not recorded the fact that my wife's car is also insured with them or that my home is insured with them.

Yeah very much the same for me, just renewed my house policy with them yesterday
Original renewal was just shy of €100 more expensive but a not so quick phone highlighted that since renewing my car policy as a new customer last April none of my policies were linked so I wasn't getting all the discounts that I should have gotten

So I presume I'm probably going to have to go through this every year at each renewal:mad:

In case it helps anybody else, I ignored the renewal of my existing policy (€420) and took out a new policy as if I was a new customer via their (Aviva) website (€310) and was able to then simply add the new policy to my existing MyAviva account online without having to call them or anything.

I had done the same in my online account but for some unknown reason the little insurance fairies in Aviva didn't link the policies for renewals
I would like to think that a company as big as Aviva would when they see one of their systems is not doing what it should be doing, fix it
but I'm beginning to think along these lines as well

Yes, a lot of insurers are subject to minimum quote. 280 seems to be it.
I've had a small negative amount added to bring it to that with Aviva.
Same with me.
I reduced the excess to €125 and fully protected bonus which actually makes it pretty good value.
Business use also.

Just got my renewal quote from Aviva.

The price has gone from €310 to €382.

Last year, I was on the minimum amount that could be charged but it also included a €125 excess, Journey Wise Insurance and Protected No Claims discount. I still had funds to spare in the minimum charge of €310.

This year all these things are extra on the policy.

No surprise.They still have the same computer system they used in the 1990's

Back