Why has the Lotto jackpot not been won ?

As amply demonstrated in other threads, Joe doesn't do any kind of mathematical rigour. On the other hand, if you feel like some uninformed, vapid, mindless and prejudiced emoting, Joe's yer man.
He won't disappoint.
He's not on his own though. There's no shortage of ill informed journalism or worse, as in the case of Fintan O'Toole, journalists who choose to ignore some of the facts in order to further aa political or ideological agenda.
RTE frame their current affairs and news coverage in an emotional or 'human interest' context all the time. They pluck the emotional strings before presenting the story. That means the wrong questions get asked and things don't improve.
In the context of the Lotto all the extra numbers were added and hardly a word was said until some idiot politician called for an enquiry. The utterly moronic idea that there should be a Bank Holiday the day of the Late Late Toy Show is a new low though. I'm not sure what TD proposed it but she should lose her seat for suggesting something so stupid.

Rant over, back to the Lottery...

He's not on his own though. There's no shortage of ill informed journalism or worse, as in the case of Fintan O'Toole, journalists who choose to ignore some of the facts in order to further aa political or ideological agenda.
RTE frame their current affairs and news coverage in an emotional or 'human interest' context all the time. They pluck the emotional strings before presenting the story. That means the wrong questions get asked and things don't improve.
In the context of the Lotto all the extra numbers were added and hardly a word was said until some idiot politician called for an enquiry. The utterly moronic idea that there should be a Bank Holiday the day of the Late Late Toy Show is a new low though. I'm not sure what TD proposed it but she should lose her seat for suggesting something so stupid.

Rant over, back to the Lottery...
It's not just RTE. It seems to be part of media and political training these days, clickbait basically. There is no such thing as an individual person anymore, everything has to be 'framed', or presented from an emotional angle.
The headline will mention families or mothers or children or fathers even if it's something affecting more than just them.

Plus I think you do a disservice to that TD, a Friday bank holiday would be nice. Why do they have to be on Mondays?
I label you a Toy Show skeptic.
We should have gone with Thanksgiving, and then if you take the Friday off, you get a four day weekend...

Last edited:
An Taoiseach drops hint a winner is needed in the Lotto...

THE NATIONAL LOTTERY regulator could be asked to appear before the Dail’s Finance Committee, the Taoiseach has suggested, after concerns were raised that the jackpot has not been won for months.

If its not won after An Taoiseach has called for a winner this weekend what is the betting that Sinn Fein will tell him that he got it wrong again and call for a General Election :)

If its not won after An Taoiseach has called for a winner this weekend what is the betting that Sinn Fein will tell him that he got it wrong again and call for a General Election :)
Yes, who governs Ireland, MM or somebody in Ot-ah-wah? It's our lottery and we can win it if we want to. We want our balls back.

It's not just RTE.
No, but they're prime offenders. Another thing RTE News does that I don't get the need for, is the totally useless voxpop where some randomer gives a reaction to some local tragedy/crime/whatever. Basically it amounts to a random talking head saying how awful it is, or unexpected (hint: that's why it's news) or how everyone is shocked or some other such banality. It's pointless, adds zero information whatsoever, and just gets in the way of the story.

It seems to be part of media and political training these days, clickbait basically. There is no such thing as an individual person anymore, everything has to be 'framed', or presented from an emotional angle.
And the more emotion that can be wrung out of the story, the better. Of course, it dovetails neatly with the classic leftist view that "it's awful" and "it's all society's fault" therefore "something must be done" and it's government's job to do it, and the taxpayer's role is simply to pay up meekly.

The headline will mention families or mothers or children or fathers even if it's something affecting more than just them.
See above. Will nobody think of the childer?

Plus I think you do a disservice to that TD, a Friday bank holiday would be nice. Why do they have to be on Mondays?
I label you a Toy Show skeptic.
We should have gone with Thanksgiving, and then if you take the Friday off, you get a four day weekend...
Or draw the dole and get a seven day weekend. Every week.

Last edited:
Another thing RTE News does that I don't get the need for, is the totally useless voxpop where some randomer gives a reaction to some local tragedy/crime/whatever. Basically it amounts to a random talking head saying how awful it is, or unexpected (hint: that's why it's news) or how everyone is shocked or some other such banality. It's pointless, adds zero information whatsoever, and just gets in the way of the story.
That one really gets me. Also when they highlight some fairly trivial revelation from their latest FOI or Prime Time investigation.

That one really gets me. Also when they highlight some fairly trivial revelation from their latest FOI or Prime Time investigation.
And this week’s Prime Time Investigates was basically a call-out to anybody who had an operation in Naas General to make a claim for assault. The “claims culture” is being broadcast live.

No, but they're prime offenders. Another thing RTE News does that I don't get the need for, is the totally useless voxpop where some randomer gives a reaction to some local tragedy/crime/whatever. Basically it amounts to a random talking head saying how awful it is, or unexpected (hint: that's why it's news) or how everyone is shocked or some other such banality. It's pointless, adds zero information whatsoever, and just gets in the way of the story.
I yearn for the day, where the interviewee in the voxpop after a murder, says something like "He was awful cranky and contrary, I never liked him, no-one liked him round here" instead of the usual stories.

It's not those voxpops that bother me. It is the voxpops on policy decisions that are based on expert medical advice. Asking Johnny and Mary if they think nightclubs should be open or buses should be running at half capacity is fairly meaningless. You might as well ask Johnny and Mary for their views on cardiac surgery techniques or timing chain change intervals.

I yearn for the day, where the interviewee in the voxpop after a murder, says something like "He was awful cranky and contrary, I never liked him, no-one liked him round here" instead of the usual stories.
Or someone says, "She/he has always at him/her, I'm only surprised they didn't snap sooner".

He smacked the winning Tory candidate hard, joking that the Tories had a "safe seat" here. I don't think he was doing any g******. But let's not go down that rabbit hole.
What he actually said was "oh Romsey, you have a lovely seat here". A conservative female minister has come out in support of Bojo's da.

Back