Who would you like to see as the next president??

So for every other election in the Labour Party it counts but just not for this one? Any idea why?

Don't know, tbh. It was all part of the [broken link removed]. It has been raised as an issue by a few members. Personally, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Michael D is like a youngster with his first mobile. He's banging out the messages over twitter at a fast and furious pace

Who said older people don't adapt to new technology :cool:

For me it has to be David Norris, I hope I due not upset anybody, who are over the top PC. But I think David would represent Ireland 2012. He would do a great presentation internationally for Ireland. He would be perfect, and inject some fun, but still have the intectual awareness to represent the commercial and cultural reserves, of Ireland to 2019.

For me it has to be David Norris, I hope I due not upset anybody, who are over the top PC. But I think David would represent Ireland 2012. He would do a great presentation internationally for Ireland. He would be perfect, and inject some fun, but still have the intectual awareness to represent the commercial and cultural reserves, of Ireland to 2019.

I'm not quite sure how he represents us 2012? I think people are going to vote for him because he is gay and to show how mature we are in doing so etc without thinking too much about his actual role and what he will actually bring to it as a person.

I'm not quite sure how he represents us 2012? I think people are going to vote for him because he is gay and to show how mature we are in doing so etc without thinking too much about his actual role and what he will actually bring to it as a person.

Yeah, I get that impression sometimes too.

I think the over the top pc brigade are the ones most likely to vote for Senator Norris. If people want to vote for him because they think he will represent us well, has qualities they admire etc etc then fair enough.

But I imagine a lot of people will vote for him to show how liberal they are or because it will show the rest of the world how 'cool' Ireland is. They will then go around saying that anyone who hasn't voted for him is a 'dinosaur' or hasn't 'moved on', while smugly patting themselves on the back for being so 'mature'.

I think the over the top pc brigade are the ones most likely to vote for Senator Norris. If people want to vote for him because they think he will represent us well, has qualities they admire etc etc then fair enough.

But I imagine a lot of people will vote for him to show how liberal they are or because it will show the rest of the world how 'cool' Ireland is. They will then go around saying that anyone who hasn't voted for him is a 'dinosaur' or hasn't 'moved on', while smugly patting themselves on the back for being so 'mature'.

I'm very liberal but there's no way I'd vote for him because while I agree with much of what he stands for I don't like him, how he expresses his opinions or how he attacks those who don't share his views.

I think that the fact that David Norris is already so well known, perhaps the best known of the possible candidates, gives him an advantage over anyone else straight away. I like him, but I don't agree with some of his views. I also doubt his ability to present himself in the best possible light all of the time. He should know that the media can and will quote him out of context. Yet he leaves himself open by things that he says. He is a figure in public life for years and should really know what he can and can't say by now. I personally think he talks far too much about sex in his interviews. I don't think there is anything wrong with being homosexual. But being homosexual can't be used as an excuse to be coarse. I remember listening to him on The Late Late Show a couple of years ago and he was asked about his latest romance. And almost straight away he started on about sex. I didn't think it was very dignified. If he gets elected, I wish him the very best of luck, but at this moment in time I am not persuaded to vote for him.

I'm very liberal but there's no way I'd vote for him because while I agree with much of what he stands for I don't like him, how he expresses his opinions or how he attacks those who don't share his views.

That's because you're genuinely 'mature' and don't see proving your liberalness (or whatever the word) as your priority when electing a President. However, I am sure a lot of people who vote for David Norris will do so simply because he's homosexual with no regard to any other factor. Which is very immature in my opinion.

I'm not voting for David Norris because I was forced to learn "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" for my Leaving Cert and anyone who likes James Joyce that much couldn't be right in the head!

I've a feeling that people will vote for Norris, not simply because he's gay, but because he is different from the rest of the current crop of politicians, non-party, colourful and not tarnished with the Celtic Tiger and it's impact. He can differentiate himself from any candidate from the main stream parties in that regards.

Interestingly, we haven't seen someone from the opposite side of the spectrum come forward so far, a Dana style conservative pro Church candidate.

Personally, I could vote for Norris, but he's the best of a mediocre enough bunch so far

Back