Who would you like to see as the next president??

I'm not sure how Mary McAleese being the 'best of a poor field' means that her FF connection got her the votes??

In my opinion, she was elected primarily cos she was the FF candidate. The opinion she was the best of a poor field does not conflict with the first ;)

In my opinion, she was elected primarily cos she was the FF candidate. The opinion she was the best of a poor field does not conflict with the first ;)

Well, if she was the 'best of a poor field' then presumably that's why she got in.
Personally, I think she was elected primarily because she came across as being very impressive. She will be a hard act to follow.

Did anyone see the potential presidents on the Frontline last night? It was a very uninspiring line up, I thought.

Best quote of the year on David Norris came from the chairman of Carlow Co.Council after Norris visited there yesterday canvassing support

" he doesn't have a bad bone in his body but he has some quare ideas"

Did anyone see the potential presidents on the Frontline last night? It was a very uninspiring line up, I thought.
I thought Finlay was good, but the others left a lot to be desired. I think Mary Davis has strangled her own campaign at birth by talking about blocking bills that aren't equal enough for her liking.

Best quote of the year on David Norris came from the chairman of Carlow Co.Council after Norris visited there yesterday canvassing support

" he doesn't have a bad bone in his body but he has some quare ideas"
Brill

Agree. A couple of the candidates didnt seem to be aware of what the Presidents role is - talking about 'making changes' etc and what sounded like making policy decisions (which is unconstitutional). Presidents primary role is to be the citizens watchdog on the Government to make sure that legislation passed is constitutional. Secondary role is to be the public face of Ireland Inc..

Agree. A couple of the candidates didnt seem to be aware of what the Presidents role is - talking about 'making changes' etc and what sounded like making policy decisions (which is unconstitutional). Presidents primary role is to be the citizens watchdog on the Government to make sure that legislation passed is constitutional. Secondary role is to be the public face of Ireland Inc..

I know. It always amuses me when they outline 'changes' that they have no executive power to make. Also, some of them talk about 'opening up' the Aras to a degree that would require huge staffing - at a time when we're trying to cut back on public spending.

I thought Finlay was good, but the others left a lot to be desired.

Complainer, you are a Labour Party member and activist so it's hardly surprising that you were impressed by a Labour Party member and activist.

I like Finlay but he's by far and away his own biggest fan.

I'm very disappointed with the field, so far. I had great hopes for David Norris but he's not looking great at the moment. I cannot abide Fergus Finlay. Every time I hear him speak, I hear Dick Spring's spin doctor.

I find Pat Cox completely smug; almost like we should be grateful that he might run. I resent the contrived way he's going about it, i.e., applying first for membership of F.G., etc. Gay Mitchell doesn't inspire me either and I couldn't name any of the other potential candidates.

Is there any chance that someone else might come with a late charge?

I'm voting Michael D, let the West awake!

Hope he tones down the poetry though, his speeches can be a bit long winded

I'm voting Michael D, let the West awake!

Hope he tones down the poetry though, his speeches can be a bit long winded

I think what we need at the moment is a President who will project a dynamic, forward looking image of Ireland. I don't think he's the man for the job.

I see he got the nomination. Huge backward step if he gets in, in my view.
I'm surprised there was such a huge gap between Finlay and himself in the voting. I guess he's worked directly with a lot of the TDs over the years, and would have more personal contact. I'd have thought that Finlay was a lot more electable though - he has a lot more common sense. Michael D is a bit of a loose cannon. I can't see him attacting a huge vote.

I'm surprised there was such a huge gap between Finlay and himself in the voting. I guess he's worked directly with a lot of the TDs over the years, and would have more personal contact. I'd have thought that Finlay was a lot more electable though - he has a lot more common sense. Michael D is a bit of a loose cannon. I can't see him attacting a huge vote.

I agree.

I was surprised at the size of the electorate, not hugely democratic as it was limited to TDs/Senators/MEPs and 14 (was it) Executive Committee members.

Whatever happened to 1 member 1 vote?

Back