Who would you like to see as the next president??

It is turning into Wicklow by-election ballot with the amount of candidates running.

Well, with David Norris out of the picture the field is starting to take shape.
At the moment we have Mitchell, Higgins, Davis and Gallager. I can't see myself vote for any of these.
Surely there must be a decent candidate out there that could beat this lot.

Are Sinn Féin and the ULA and a mix match of independents going to find someone?
I've heard nothing. And maybe those lot won't cooperate but they can if they wish and get to the magic twenty. Probably easier to get twenty then four councils

There's still time for new candidates to get involved and get support :)

Well, with David Norris out of the picture the field is starting to take shape.
At the moment we have Mitchell, Higgins, Davis and Gallager. I can't see myself vote for any of these.
Surely there must be a decent candidate out there that could beat this lot.

Would have voted for David Norris,pretty dismal candidates left,for the first time in my voting life I am considering not bothering going out to tick a box,actually strike that,I will not be bothering at all,its time this role was made redundant along with the Senate.

There are currently no candidates that I want to vote for. I'd like to see someone like Declan Ganley (intelligent, honest, democrat) running.

It will be interesting to see who FF nominate.
A few months ago I would not have given them a chance but the field is so weak, they could do it if they have a candidate with no baggage.

It will be interesting to see who FF nominate.
A few months ago I would not have given them a chance but the field is so weak, they could do it if they have a candidate with no baggage.
Sean Gallagher seems to disagree with you, given his frantic efforts to downplay his past involvement as Dermot Ahern's Director of Elections and FF NEC member.

Sean Gallagher seems to disagree with you, given his frantic efforts to downplay his past involvement as Dermot Ahern's Director of Elections and FF NEC member.

Yeah, I heard Sean Gallagher on the PK show last week and it was domiated by people ringing in pointing out his association with FF. He distanced himself from them (who wouldn't) and insisted he was an independant.
Even so, FF can still nominate someone and could go for a 'Mary McAleese' type unknown that has nothing to do with the party.

Can they nominate someone that is not a member or do they at least have to become one?

My vote goes to Sean Gallagher anyway. I would have loved to have Brian Crowley as president though.

I'm finding it hard to take Sean Gallagher's candidacy seriously.

While I have nothing against him personally, he's primarily a businessman with no experience of public life or with any of the otrher qualities one might associate with the role of President. It's almost as if he sees it as an opportunity capable of being exploited - similar to how he might regard some bloke coming on dragons' den with an idea for saving rainwater or something.

I think it's Michael D's to lose at this stage. I think Crowley would have a chance if he was allowed go forward.

I don't think Crowley would have a hope. He's part of the FF brand. They need to back someone who has no history at all with them on the premise that 'we think it would be good for the Country to have this person as President.' Its the only way a FF backed candidate would get in.

I really hope someone more impressive throws their name in the hat before the deadline. What would people think of Geraldine Kennedy?I was watching her on Relling in the Years last night and thinking of how much she's done since then - political career and then becoming the first ever female editor of the Irish Times.

Dana has throw her hat or whatever into the ring and has declared herself in the running.

There appears to be two ways to get on the ballot paper for the presidency.

The support of 20 members of the oireachtas or 4 councils.

Is it my imagination, or was there a third- the support of (I think) 20,000 members of the public?

If this was the case and it was removed, then I think it was a very regressive step.

David Norris would easily have gotten his nomination, and the public could have spoken with their votes on the recent controversies.

Geraldine Kennedy?...thinking of how much she's done since then ... then becoming the first ever female editor of the Irish Times.

... and proceeding to make an absolute dogs dinner of both the paper and the business.

Back