Who would you like to see as the next president??

David Norris would easily have gotten his nomination

This is by no means certain at all. He had 15 members supporting him, but it wasn't clear to political observers where the other 5 were going to come from. His trips to local councils were generally unsuccessful, with just one council Fingal committing to support him. It was by no means clear before this issue broke that he was certain to get on the ballot paper.

This is by no means certain at all. He had 15 members supporting him, but it wasn't clear to political observers where the other 5 were going to come from. His trips to local councils were generally unsuccessful, with just one council Fingal committing to support him. It was by no means clear before this issue broke that he was certain to get on the ballot paper.

I was talking about the old system where you could get the signatures of 20,000 voters to get on the ballot paper.

I see now it was just a proposal that was never taken up (Page 6).

This is a shame as a nomination by popular demand would remove the process further fron political influence.

I agree, unless he got into bed with the Shinners, he hadn't a hope of getting the nomination, regardless of what the polls said and regardless of how populist his campaign was

Hopefully he does, and gets annihilated.

Conservative Catholic, Pro Republican, Fianna Fail.

No thanks.

so you're not a Mary McAleese fan either then?

Crowley could surprise people if he did run, he's hugely populer in Cork and Munster (and you have to admire what he has achieved after his accident). If there were 5 or 6 candidates, he could easily get at least 15-20% of the first preferences and that would have him in with a shout.

Have a feeling that with Norris gone, if the Shinners can get a few additional TDs to support them, that Adams may still throw his hat in the ring, especially given the lack of a clear front runner now. Like it or not(and I'd be in the not camp), he'd have a great chance

I'd like to see the current one stay - doing a very good job.

Plus, none of the candidates on show can do a better job.

so you're not a Mary McAleese fan either then?

Crowley could surprise people if he did run, he's hugely populer in Cork and Munster (and you have to admire what he has achieved after his accident). If there were 5 or 6 candidates, he could easily get at least 15-20% of the first preferences and that would have him in with a shout.

Have a feeling that with Norris gone, if the Shinners can get a few additional TDs to support them, that Adams may still throw his hat in the ring, especially given the lack of a clear front runner now. Like it or not(and I'd be in the not camp), he'd have a great chance

When you say Adams do you mean Gerry Adams? If so I'm like you in the not in his camp but don't agree he'd have a great chance. I would put €500 that he would come paddy last with Dana beating him by a nose in second last place (lord would be she just not take her beating).

I have to say I think it's an over rated office so I won't be getting up early to see who won, but do think some of the candidates running are credible and decent ones.

Am I only one who thinks it's easy to shake a few hands, sign off on legislation, shut down the Dail or whatever the office does.

Of the current crew, Sean Gallagher- the only one with a hint of usefulness about him.

Otherwise I think Brian Crowley would make a great president, nice guy, humble, honest....how is he still in Fianna Fail?

Back