Who would you like to see as the next president??

pinkyBear

I would like to see Pat Cox as President... I know he has not officially declared he will go for it yet....
P..

Well the best would be John Hume. If he ran he'd win with ease. But he has ruled himself out

Voting for Michael D, let the west awake!
Some poetry in every speech :)

Ah no, met Michael D around Galway, I like him

I would like to see Pat Cox as President... I know he has not officially declared he will go for it yet....
P..

Attended an event about 10 years ago where he was the guest speaker. Gave one of the most boring speeches I have ever heard in my life. Will always hold that against him!

Michael D and David Norris are loud mouths who would have a show of themselves and us.

I don’t know who to vote for.
Mary’s not running again is she?

Attended an event about 10 years ago where he was the guest speaker. Gave one of the most boring speeches I have ever heard in my life. Will always hold that against him!

Yea, he's about as interesting as watching paint dry.

There are 2 things you need as President, firstly someone who will uphold the Constitution, be prepared to refer legislation to the Supreme Court and will, if needed, stand up to the Govt if what they are doing is breaking the Constitution.

The 2nd thing is that he/she needs to represent the country, "sell " us overseas and present a good image of Ireland and not embarras us.

None of the candidates so far impress me that they can possibly do both roles.

One name that does spring to mind is Olivia O'Leary.

Mary Mc's the best, but she can't run again. Anyway I wonder if she'd even want to? Fourteen years is a very long time. Before all the hullahbaloo I read Norris was the front runner, but you'd wonder now where he stands.He certainly would be interesting if nothing else! Cox I think would be good, if a bit too dry for my liking. Under him the presidency would revert to a non entity.

There are 2 things you need as President, firstly someone who will uphold the constitution, be prepared to refer legislation to the Supreme Court and will, if needed, stand up to the Govt.

Has this ever happened?
I could only ever see someone not from a political party background stand up to the government of the day.

Sean Kelly...

For no other reason than the fact that I put a tenner on him @11/1 a few months back.

Has this ever happened?
I could only ever see someone not from a political party background stand up to the government of the day.

I seem to remember Mary referring back some legislation but it's hazy.

I remember hearing Fergus Finlays name being mentioned a while back and thought he would be a good candidate for it.

My vote is for Martin McAleese on the basis that he is the best (aside from those who have removed themselves), in my opinion, mentioned so far in this thread.

This, of course, could change by the time the actual election is announced.

Marion

Back