Who would you like to see as the next president??

Agree with liaconn that I don't think it should be a celebrity type contest, I would imagine diplomatic skills would be the number one attribute sought (not that I'm saying some of the people named here aren't diplomatic!!). On the politician front I've always been impressed by Gay Mitchell, not sure if he is interested tho. Certainly none of the names currently in the hat impress me much.

I agree. Diplomacy, good knowledge of European and World affairs, good grasp of the law and a good orator would be important for someone hoping to follow in Mary McAleese's footsteps. Also some experience of public affairs.
Voting for RTE celebs and sporting heroes would be silly in my view.

Its when you start thinking about it, you realise how few people there are out there. What is Dick Spring up to these days?

Mary Davis for me. Have met her on a few occasions and she's very solid. Plenty of European experience, a good brain and would be an excellent President. C'mon Mary, fling your pashmina in the ring.

All these names are going have problems getting on the ballot. There will be no more than 3 or 4 candidates on the ballot.

Senator Norris for me.

Senator Norris is, in my opinion, totally unsuitable for the job.
He courts controversy, is extremely bombastic and is utterly intolerant of other people’s views to the extent that he could be described as a bigoted.

I wouldn't like to see David Norris get it either. He is a highly intelligent and cultured man but he is also somewhat unpredictable and I think that is the last thing Ireland needs at the moment.

So everyone just wants some FG/Lab yes man that will sign every bill put in front of them?

I am so glad I left the banana republic.

What attributes should a good candidate have?
A background in Politics, Legal, Journalism, Business?

You obviously don't know much about Harte so (apart obviously from his recent bereavement).

What election isn't a popularity competition? :)

Well, enllighten me as to his qualifications for President. I know he's big in the GAA but that's all.

I don't think Mary McAleese was voted in because she was popular. I think she was voted for because her background and her obvious intelligence combined with her demeanour impressed the electorate who felt she would represent the country well. Likewise with Mary Robinson.

I don't think Mary McAleese was voted in because she was popular. I think she was voted for because her background and her obvious intelligence combined with her demeanour impressed the electorate who felt she would represent the country well. Likewise with Mary Robinson.

But mostly because she was the Fianna Fail candidate. Which is also why more people gave their first preference vote to the late Brian Lenihan (senior) in 1990, than they did to Mary Robinson. Despite the disaster that his campaign became.

Without PR-STV, we could still be waiting for Ireland to elect a woman as President.

But mostly because she was the Fianna Fail candidate. Which is also why more people gave their first preference vote to the late Brian Lenihan (senior) in 1990, than they did to Mary Robinson. Despite the disaster that his campaign became.

Without PR-STV, we could still be waiting for Ireland to elect a woman as President.

I know loads of people who voted for her and it was nothing to do with FF. They just thought she was very impressive and would give a good image of Ireland abroad.

I think it's unusual in Ireland for 'a load of people' to disclose who they voted for.

Mary McAleese was the best of a poor field. IIRC, Mary Banotti, Adi Roche, Dana, Derek Nally. The field for the next election looks no better.

I think I spoiled my vote by writing NO against each candidate's name.

I think it's unusual in Ireland for 'a load of people' to disclose who they voted for.

Mary McAleese was the best of a poor field. IIRC, Mary Banotti, Adi Roche, Dana, Derek Nally. The field for the next election looks no better.

I think I spoiled my vote by writing NO against each candidate's name.

Not in my family and social circle. We all quite happily discuss who we vote for in elections.

I'm not sure how Mary McAleese being the 'best of a poor field' means that her FF connection got her the votes??

Back