Water Utility collecting PPS Numbers

We are two adults living alone with our children moved on. Do we still have to give our PPS number to get the water allowance or will the allowance be automatically allocated to the house?

Will I be able to read my meter that is in the ground on the public footpath. I don't want to be a sad bas**** but I will be curious initially to see what my usage is. I hope that our monthly bills are itemised as to weekly usage.
I grow my own vegetables. Last night I needed to put a fair bit of water on these as they were wilting from the recent dry spell. It would be nice to know if I had "spare" water in my allowance so I can treat my veggies now and again.

Will I be able to read my meter that is in the ground on the public footpath.
Yes.
I hope that our monthly bills are itemised as to weekly usage.
They won't be.
I grow my own vegetables. Last night I needed to put a fair bit of water on these as they were wilting from the recent dry spell. It would be nice to know if I had "spare" water in my allowance so I can treat my veggies now and again.
Seriously, are people really going to be counting litres? Although I'm opposed to metered water charges in principle, it's actually really cheap . . just put half a red brick into each cistern in your house and give your parsnips a drink.

it will be very expensive now for people to keep holiday homes or second homes in Ireland what with the €160 euro a year for water/sewage charges+ property taxes + ground rents for electricity and gas +house insurance, I reckon there will be another tsunami of houses coming on to the market very soon. It's all great news for the economy and will help stop the current spiral in house prices getting out of control ;)

Probably a lot of the 2nd/holiday homes are in places like Donegal , since we have a huge amount of vacant homes here, we don,t need the {tsunami}.
You are are all welcome to come for very good houses @100,000.
Please bring the jobs too.

Seriously, are people really going to be counting litres?

Er, yes, michaelm, and I don't think it is "really cheap". As a pair of pensioners on low income (no big Irish pension) with 2 students over 18 in the house, based on the water we use at present we would be paying over €600 a year.
Even if we get the rumoured household benefit it won't bring the cost down to the €200 per year I have spare.
I will have to do more than put a brick in the cistern, flushes will have to be rationed. It's sad and miserable, but I have no choice.

It does irk me that a PPS is required, when the electricity provider did not need it in connection with the household benefit.

Don't know, but I personally have the PPS numbers of at this stage a large amount of people. (PRTB for landlords requires this) I've accumulated quite a lot of data on people.

Excellent one. Free water for me then. And if I am queried I will tell them Bronte put me on to it.;)

ESB can charge even if no units used so it is better to use some rather than none as a minimum charge kicks in (to pay for the availability of the service)

Bord Gais charge just the standing charge if no electricity units are used, so unlike the ESB they don't fleece their customers for non usage.

Yes.They won't be.Seriously, are people really going to be counting litres? Although I'm opposed to metered water charges in principle, it's actually really cheap . . just put half a red brick into each cistern in your house and give your parsnips a drink.

I will certainly be keeping an eye on usage as I always have done but then again I keep an eye on lots of things and don't waste my money needlessly.
I actually find that parsnips are cheaper to buy in Aldi or Lidl than it is to grow them. My turnips were great this year and I got a double crop out of a packet of seeds.

Bord Gais charge just the standing charge if no electricity units are used, so unlike the ESB they don't fleece their customers for non usage.
as far as i know the reason for the esb charges you refer to is that the esb own the network and most of the infrstructure. the gas company just buy electricity wholesale and then retail it to us. i think it was an arrangement all the electricity and gas suppliers came to with the dept of energy and the regulator. someone might know what charges the esb or electric ireland charge if they supply gas to a customer.

i have just received a letter from dept of social welfare with a form . the need my bank details for to pay 25 euro in to it every quarter starting januay for the 100 euro allowance for the over 66 year old

working this out logically & so if I have this correct...

30,000 + 42,000 litres for our 2 kids. This is not annual, just the free allowance given.

our toilets are 9 litre flushes, times the number of flushes per day.Throw in washing fruit & veg, washing hands & showers, washing machine etc the allowance seems low.

Er, yes, michaelm, and I don't think it is "really cheap". As a pair of pensioners on low income (no big Irish pension) with 2 students over 18 in the house, based on the water we use at present we would be paying over €600 a year.
I suppose you're right. Although less than €2 per day for all water needs of four adults doesn't seem excessive to me . . that said it think that they should have fixed the leaking mains pipes rather than digging up half the country and creating this whole usage-less-allowance bill nonsense.

The PTRB are allowed to keep PPS numbers -but the forms the tenants fill in are surely for the PTRB and not for landlords to retain the data. I would have thought that retaining PPS details is breaking the data protection regulations ?
I don't see Landlords mentioned on this list http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-Register-of-Users.aspx
As it happens I'm just finishing off my landlord tax returns so I have my PRTB file with me. Going back to the 2005 form:

Requirements

1. PPSN no of tenant, tenant to sign and date form, my ppsn no, my signature and date, Cheque.

2. Rule F on PPSN,

how to get a PPSN, says the use of it is governed by law, not to be stored, or used for any other purpose other than registration.

Now as I was a) dealing with the totally incopetent PTRB, and boy were they incompetent at the time, b) a matter that has serious revenue implications for me if I get it wrong, I photocopied the form before posting it. I do this in general with any government body. All those forms are in my PRTB file.

If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have been later able to send the PRTB a copy of that form so they could issue me with the confirmation number as they were not very efficient at the beginning on doing this.

The confirmation letter you receive from the PRTB does not mention the PPSN no of me or the tenants, it pretty much hasn't anything on it really, not in comparision to what I filled out in the form.

At some stage the PRTB stopped requiring the tenants signature and eventually not mine either if I'm not mistaken

Electronic submission

This format means when you submit, you can no longer see all you've filled out, they delete teh PPSN no. But I just write it on the paper file, I'd in any case have it on a piece of paper before I sit down at the computer to register. In addition I write on that document the Out date of the tenant.

My water bill is €70 with an included household allowance of 200,000 litres. Between today and last April when my meter was last read, I have only used 15,000 litres. I am not stingy on the water either.

I think people are blowing this out of all proportion.

Why are Irish people so private about the PPSNs? It the US the SSN is not such a guarded secret. It's like your name; though it's unique.

The DSP specifies who may use a PPSN. This has been eroded over the years by other non state bodies asking for it, mostly banks etc. The DSP and DPC are clear on what it may be used for.

The situation in the US is the same. People do not give it freely and although banks ask for it there is no legal reason for this and service cannot refused if the person does not give it. It is a government identifier only.

If I do NOT wish to claim Water Allowances...why does a water utility need my PPS numbers?

When Irish Water is privatised, will the new owners then get my PPS number?

Can Irish Water take money with the Bank details they require?

My water bill is €70 with an included household allowance of 200,000 litres. Between today and last April when my meter was last read, I have only used 15,000 litres. I am not stingy on the water either.

I gather you dont live in Ireland, you have a very generous water allowance.

Back