Water Utility collecting PPS Numbers

monagt

If I do NOT wish to claim Water Allowances...why does a water utility need my PPS numbers?

When Irish Water is privatised, will the new owners then get my PPS number?

If I do NOT wish to claim Water Allowances...why does a water utility need my PPS numbers?

My understanding is that this is to prove the number of occupants in the house (for water allowance purposes). Why wouldn't you want to claim the allowances? Presumably it'll cost more for the water without them!

Last edited:
I think there is a basic household allowance, then you add in each person.

Looking forward to listening to Liveline when the water charges coming into effect:

Joe: Tell me Mary, how often do you flush the toilet?

Mary: Once a week Joe. I'm afraid if I do it more often, I'll go over my allowance.

Joe: Afraid? Afraid? There's a fear then Mary. Do you hear that listeners. People living in fear in their own homes because of the water charges.

:rolleyes:

I am sure there will be a standing charge to ensure we all pay a minimum charge no matter how frugal with water we are.

Why ? It will be possible for a single person with a water meter to have zero water charges if they use less that 30000l a year. The minimum charge will apply just to non principal residences (it is proposed)
That's a bit Irish alright . . an empty house using no water will pay €160 but other can get a zero bill of staying within their quota. I'll be interested if I can get a zero bill so.

When Irish Water is privatised, will the new owners then get my PPS number?

Don't know, but I personally have the PPS numbers of at this stage a large amount of people. (PRTB for landlords requires this) I've accumulated quite a lot of data on people.

Why ? It will be possible for a single person with a water meter to have zero water charges if they use less that 30000l a year.

The minimum charge will apply just to non principal residences (it is proposed)

So NPPR by the back door?

ESB can charge even if no units used so it is better to use some rather than none as a minimum charge kicks in (to pay for the availability of the service)

So NPPR by the back door?

Precisely, these proposals do seem extortionate for someone not living in their house or for expats who may not even live in the country. Then as it stands at the moment they are only proposals and the eventual charges may not be as high.

There will be no standing charge in respect of principal residences, but a minimum charge may apply to second homes. Irish Water has proposed a minimum charge of €80 per service per year for second homes – a total of €160 for a house using both public water supply and public wastewater services. This was among the proposals that the CER consulted on during August 2014.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_services/water_charges.html

Would it not make sense to have vacant houses disconnected, so no charges then?

it will be very expensive now for people to keep holiday homes or second homes in Ireland what with the €160 euro a year for water/sewage charges+ property taxes + ground rents for electricity and gas +house insurance, I reckon there will be another tsunami of houses coming on to the market very soon. It's all great news for the economy and will help stop the current spiral in house prices getting out of control ;)

Back