Virgin Media - General observations....

In the past it was possible to give 30 days cancellation notice by email to cancel@virginmedia.ie but I don't know if that's still an option?
I used it to attempt to cancel in early February. I cc'd in a few random corporate VM email accounts to make sure I had something in the system.

I was planning on signing up as a new customer to get the better rates but it didn't come to that as they matched the new customer offer.
 
Can you please provide the online link to where you gave thirty days notice of cancellation.

Oh I tried to link it there but it came up weird.

They had sent an email saying that the price was going up by another €4 a month and that I could cancel before the end by following a link. But I can't link it here.

This is what comes up when I press the link so maybe you will have to ring them
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-05-14 142619.webp
    Screenshot 2026-05-14 142619.webp
    53 KB · Views: 7
Was the main email address you wrote to cancel@virginmedia.ie ? It isn't listed here as far as I can see. https://www.virginmedia.ie/terms/terms-and-conditions/
It was that email address. They don't seem to market it any more and rightly so. They know people will be a lot more reticent to pick up the phone to cancel rather than fire off an email.

Will it always work as a means of cancelling? Maybe not but I do know within 2 days we were contracted by VM to discuss the same email.
 
Thanks.

I'm now waiting for a call back (after me calling them) to clarify when my contract ends. I'm not holding my breath.

If that email address isn't listed as a contact point, I guess they could just ignore it.

Virgin Media have a Trustpilot rating of 1.5/5 - no surprise. (Vodafone, for example, is 4.2/5)

D.
 
I started a new contract on 16/6/25. This was ok for the first two bills. Then they started overcharging me. When I pointed this out, they eventually rectified it and reimbursed me. But, someone decided to send me a new contract in October, which I never asked for, for a larger monthly payment. They’ve never charged me this amount, but they now want to end my contract in October rather than June, which I want. A mess entirely of Virgin Media’s making.

D.
 
Not sure if he was telling me porky pies but one agent told me recently that they only get to ring back about 5% of the customers who cancel online and want a new deal so it can be risky enough if you don't want a break in service.

I discovered both last year and this that they have two Cancellation Teams. The initial one will try and get away with the lower discounts whereas if you haggle hard for long enough you can usually be transferred to the second team to get the 9 months @ half and 3 months @ full. Needless to say I got the higher discount each year :p :cool:
 
Has anyone ever received notification from Virgin, or any other BB supplier, that their fixed term contract was coming to an end? We've been with Virgin for years and, to the best of my knowledge, we never have. (I have always received notification from gas, electricity and health insurance.)

Also, new to me is that a new supplier can cancel your old contract for you, as with electricity and gas. A welcome development. Should save a lot of time dealing with Virgin's appalling customer service. Also, knowing that people don't have to wait for forty minutes before answering and then cutting the call when they don't want to entertain your request, might put manners on them. Has anyone availed of this service?



VM have not called me back as they said they would about honoring the June contract. I'm not surprised. So, rather than go through the stress and time wasting of chasing them, I'm going to wait until the October contract ends and have my new supplier cancel it for me.

D.
 
Also, new to me is that a new supplier can cancel your old contract for you,
This should work ok if you new supplier is using the same network as your old supplier. But definitely don't rely on it if you are changing networks , eg, going from the Virgin network to SIRO or Open Eir. Just to be sure I'd prefer to cancel myself anyway - and particularly if I had more than one service from the provider, eg, broadband and TV.
 
Also, new to me is that a new supplier can cancel your old contract for you, as with electricity and gas. A welcome development.

Would not trust any company to do that on my behalf and have read here a few times about especially Eir promising to cancel contracts mid-term for people and move their account to Eir. When they did not do so solicitors followed up on break fee and settlement figures had to be paid. Even in an out of contract situation best to do the job yourself as even then some contracts can require 30 days notice.

Has anyone ever received notification from Virgin, or any other BB supplier, that their fixed term contract was coming to an end?

Yes and this is something I was trying to establish recently when I posted about this here https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threa...and-what-exactly-it-says.243834/#post-1997085

Some years back in 2023 I used to get this

'
REGULATORY NOTIFICATON
END OF CONTRACT NOTIFICATION ​
Hi XXXXXXX

We’re getting in touch to let you know that the contract on your current Virgin Media services will end
on XXXXXX , and we’re here to help you to understand your options.
If you want a recap on your current services all of the details are available on your latest bill or in your My Virgin Media account at virginmedia.ie/myvirginmedia.


So what happens next?
You have a few options:
• If you have a better best tariff option available (see below) you can choose to move over to this or another package.
• You can take no action at all and you’ll remain on your current services and your contract will become a one month rolling contract. If you have been on
an offer or discount for the last 12 months, this will also come to an end on XXXXXXX and your price will be the one agreed in your original contract.
• Or you can cancel your services by giving 30 days’ notice – simply visit virginmedia.ie/cancel to check your cancelation options or call us on 1908.

Best Tariff Advice
Product name::XXXXXXXXXXXXX
What it includes: XXXXXXXXXXXX
  • XXXXXXXXXXXX Broadband - unlimited usage allowance


The Monthly Price: XXXXXXXX
Contract length: XXXXXXXXX
You can avail of this option any time before your current contract ends on XXXXXXXX by calling us on 1908.
We're here Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm. It’s worth noting that this best tariff advice only includes core products and not any add-ons or additional items that you may currently also have on your account. Terms and
conditions apply.
If you have any questions or would like to explore your options further you can find out all of the ways to get in touch on virginmedia.ie/contact or call us on 1908.

Sincerely,
The Virgin Media Team




In my emails the only type of notification that I get these days is this below which really tells me nothing and I had wondered why they would bother sending something as useless as this. I am now suspicious if the message below has replaced the 2023 version as the 2026 one does not meet regulatory requirements as far as I am aware. You will note that the more recent one is headed Your Virgin Media Annual Statement as compared to the older version stating End of Contract Notification.

We do have two separate accounts on two different types of properties so I was trying to establish in that other thread if that was the reason for the difference in the type of notification.

Would still be very interested to see if others on AAM are receiving notification from VM each year and is it either of the copies of emails that I have shown here.


REGULATORY NOTIFICATION
YOUR VIRGIN MEDIA ANNUAL STATEMENT​
Hi XXXXXXXXX

We’re getting in touch to send you a statement for your current package. It includes a review to see if you are on the best tariff for you. If we feel there is any Best Tariff Information that we can provide we’ll share this information with you. You can then can choose to move to this new package if one is available and it’s of interest to you – or if it’s not you can stay on the package you currently have.

Best Tariff Information

Right now, we believe you’re on the best tariff available for you.
If you have any questions or would like to explore your options further you can find out all of the ways to get in touch on virginmedia.ie/contact or call us on 1908.
Sincerely,
The Virgin Media Team
 
I got an email last week - copied below.

Hi Horse

We’re required by law to inform you when your contract’s minimum term is ending and provide you with best tariff information.

As the minimum term of your current Virgin Media contract ends on 14/07/2026 we’re getting in touch so you’re aware of the options you’ve got available to you.


Your options include:
 
Since they require 30 days notice for termination (I presume that if you're, say, five days late with this termination then you would owe them five days subscription?) I'm assuming they send out this notice of end-of-contract earlier than 30 days, to allow you to terminate on time?

The text of that new notice is cursory, to put it mildly. And I note that there is no referring you to their website, only the dreaded 1908 number.

Oh to have SIRO. I contacted one of my local politicians about this. He is usually very prompt in replying to a query. But, on SIRO not a word. Most of Dublin 14 will just have to muddle on.

D.
 
I just have my TV package provided by Virgin Media. My broadband is provided by Vodafone. Virgin Media TV is €42....Vodafone is €35.

I have the basic TV package....about 20 stations including RTE, BBC, Channel 4 etc. (over 20 years now).

My problem with Virgin Media is that the TV box is pretty crap and when I went looking for a better box I was told that we don't make the box you are using anymore so you will have to upgrade your subscription to a better TV package plus broadband as we don't do TV on it's own anymore.

I don't need any more TV channels and I don't need their broadband as I have nil problems with my Vodafone broadband through my phone line.

I don't know if I was being told porkies when I spoke with Virgin Media about their TV package. I cannot understand how they can just continue to accept a payment from me with what looks like a €4 increase per month every couple of years and just get away with.......you have just got to live with what you have got or upgrade to one of our more expensive packages.
 
Well, if you don't want to shop around and maybe change providers then you're going to pay over the odds. That's the nature of the broadband/TV/phone service market unfortunately.
 
My problem with Virgin Media is that the TV box is pretty crap and when I went looking for a better box I was told that we don't make the box you are using anymore so you will have to upgrade your subscription to a better TV package plus broadband as we don't do TV on it's own anymore.
Ask them for a refurbished box if your current box is not working as it should - my sister has tv only and her old tv box began playing up a few years back. They sent her a refurbished one and she still has tv only. Maybe they have changed their policy recently? Would be worth trying them again I think. I assume the tv box u have now is one that has the card that is inserted?
 
They sent her a refurbished one and she still has tv only

Probably only a selling approach but they did mention to me a few years back that they were trying to get people off the older machines. Ours is veeeeeeeeeeery slow at this stage and often acts up. When you get a new machine you also lose all your recordings as they can't be transferred over.
 
Back
Top