Virgin Media - General observations....

Would a Freesat/saorview combo box be an option. It's a higher up front cost but no monthly fees after that.
If you mainly watch BBC its free with a satellite dish. I put up my own aerial for Saorview. There's no point in paying for TV that is already free over satellite - for now anyway. Think the SES contract ends around 2030, but UK users would have to all have alternative options in order for that to be shut down. Its a few years of savings at least.
 
I presume that when I sign up as a new customer (my existing contract with VM is up the end of this month) VM will send out new tv streamer and router. Will an engineer’s visit also be required, or can I just plug-and-play into the existing wiring?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. When I cancelled the existing contract, I was told I didn’t have to return any equipment.
 
Will an engineer’s visit also be required, or can I just plug-and-play into the existing wiring?
What cable do you current have and what speed/contract have you signed up for?

If you currently have coaxial cable and full fibre is not available in your area then you can just plug-and-play the new router, which will be the same or similar to your old one.

If you currently have coaxial cable, and have signed up to full fibre you will need an engineer visit to run the new fibre cable. They will use the existing hole in the wall and replace the "box" on the interior wall. You will get a different router as well.
 
Thanks.

We’ve had 500Mbps for a few years.

The connections to the houses on our road were recently upgraded by VM. I know this because our neighbours recently signed up to VM and I happened to be outside when the engineer was here to connect them.

Does this mean we’ve gone from coax to full fibre?

Anyway, I guess all will be revealed when I sign up.

Thanks again.

D.
 
Does this mean we’ve gone from coax to full fibre?
You'll know you have fibre (to the home) (FTTH) if/when they replace your coaxial cable connection with a fibre connection. If you are still using the original cable broadband connection and modem/router then it's not FTTH. Maybe it's FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet - on the street) and cable from there to your home but I doubt that they employ such a configuration?
 
By sheer coincidence, Vodafone just called to the door and said they will be upgrading our street to 1Gb in the next two weeks.

I was under the impression that our street was earmarked for OpenEir. The Vodafone guy said that this upgrade is just them.

Anyway, a bit more competition.

D.
 
Last edited:
When you say you wait for a week before the expiry date to sign up online again; is that having already cancelled your existing subscription with thirty days to go?
I ring and cancel. They send an email after a few days saying you have been cancelled and will stop on a certain date (usually 30 days from when you rang them). If nothing happens in the next 23 days I go to bonkers (or switcher or vm) and sign on and tick the new customer box. They inform you straight away whether you are a new customer or not and it always said yes to me.
 
I tried to change from Sky to VM about 15 months ago for both TV & BB, but they could never set us up properly. It a rural area in the South East. We do have NBI broadband and are currently on 500mb with Sky. Has any one else had technical issues switching to them?
 
Why not? What happened?
They could never port my number/service across - I had a Plan B though - I had cancelled Sky and rang them on the last day and asked what their best deal was and got a sizeable reduction. I'm at the end of it so want to see if I can transfer across again to VM.
 
Since I cancelled my account I have received two emails from VM offering me "half-price for 12 months".

1. I am required to complete a form that ties me into a new contract. (The usual 14 day cooling off period applies)
2. They don't tell me what it's half-price of. (I presume half-price of what the full monthly cost of my products is)
3. They don't say what the monthly cost will be.

So, I'm being asked to sign up to an unknown quantity. And, if I don't like it, I would have to go through the hassle of cancelling it.

Now, why would I do that? Has anyone?


D.
 
So wife cancelled VM in her name and I signed up as new customer. Old Coxial system so they installed Fibre. Things to note

  1. Cant put their Hub5x into modem mode so as to use own router. Can go DMZ route but causing issues so trying SFPP route but cant use phone with this
  2. Stream Box cannot record and hard to use own remote in my case Logitech
  3. VOIP phone providers are not keen on providing service for Virgin customers due to their hub limitations
  4. No issues with account using same joint account when I signed up for Direct Debits
  5. Bit of Drilling to install but not much
So have to install the SFPP see how that works
 
Still cant quote response on Firefox

The old Hub5 can be out into Modem mode not the new Hub5x. You ring Virgin and ask for iP4 and then DMZ appears and users doing this as a workaround but it conflicts with Home Automation and creates Double NAS whatever that is

So waiting for the sfpp and this replaces Hub so I can use own router

Virgin Hub5x Modem mode
 
Back
Top