Virgin Media - General observations....

Sounds ridiculous.
With speeds of a gigabit+ you should be able to site the router in the nearest part of your house to the footpath?
Is there any chance that your old phone line is still there? If so the ducting you need might be in place?

Yes, the old landline is there and goes into the left hand side of the house whereas Eir wanted to bring the cable from the left hand side around the back and enter the rear right hand side. I would have thought they would just place their box on the left hand side and let the broadband feed the TVs over on the right hand side..... I do not know why it is not possible.
 
just spoke with an Actavo technician on the street working on VM fibre. He told me that Sky and Vodafone now use VM fibre so switching to Sky or Vodafone means only a possible wall jack/ junction box change internally.
 
Might that explain why Siro (in particular) and Sky fibre are not being rolled out in certain areas, such as my part of Dublin 14?

Is there a way if telling whether my VM is fibre or coax?

Thanks.

D.

Edited: The ComReg BB checker lists the VM offering in my area as cable. Presumably, there is little incentive for VM to change this to fibre and allow others to compete on the same wire. Speed sells, even if most customers don’t need it.
 
Last edited:
Is there a way if telling whether my VM is fibre or coax?
If it's fibre then there'll be a Optical Network Terminal (ONT) installed on the premises.
If it's cable then there'll be an outlet on the wall to which a coaxial cable is attached and maybe a filter/splitter for TV and broadband signals. Similar to this:
elaucz694us91.webp
 
This is what enters my upstairs office and connects directly to the router here. TV is via wifi to the VM "beer mat" sized streamer.

D.Coax Cable.webp
 
It's coming up to renewal time and I have a question about cancelling my Virgin contract and signing up as a new customer.

1. Can I cancel the old contract online or in writing, or do I have to speak to them?
2. How do they not see that I am an old customer and not deny me a new customer contract?

Thanks.

D.
 
1. Can I cancel the old contract online or in writing, or do I have to speak to them?
Haven't been with them for almost a year but every year before that I had to do it by phone call. I think you can also do it by post?

Edit: oh, they seem to have online cancellation options here now assuming that they also apply to broadband and not just TV and/or mobile?
2. How do they not see that I am an old customer and not deny me a new customer contract?
They don't care in my experience. I cancelled and, once the final bill was issued, signed back up as a new customer with the same personal details no problem several years in a row. I presume that they haven't changed policy on this but I don't know for sure.
 
Clubman, thanks as always.

The cancellation link you posted seems to refer only to 14 day cooling-off period cancellations, as far as I can see.

This is what I detest about dealing with TV and BB suppliers. It should be as easy as gas and electricity and health insurance. But, it seems that phone is the only way. Very poorly regulated.

I waited 40 minutes just now to speak to sales and I got cut off as he was about to offer me something. Waiting again now.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think I may cancel and start over as you did before.

Thanks again.

D.
 
In my experience they never offer a deal that's as good as the new customer deal when you tell them that you're cancelling. I had to cancel and sign up as a new customer every year to get the best deal. Thankfully, since last year I have other options now that FTTH is available in my area.
 
It's coming up to renewal time and I have a question about cancelling my Virgin contract and signing up as a new customer.

1. Can I cancel the old contract online or in writing, or do I have to speak to them?
2. How do they not see that I am an old customer and not deny me a new customer contract?

I just went through this.

First I cancelled my account with 30 day notice (I did this online). They then rang me about a week later offering me a "deal" OF 35 a month for 6 months and 70 for 9 months. I said no that I can get digiweb for 40 a month. They then offered 35 a month for 9 months and 70 for 3 months. I again said no so then they offered 40 a month and bumped us up from 500mb to 1gb so I went with that option. Fairly cheap and don't have the hassle of swapping. (broadband only account)
 
Moon Unit,

Can you please provide the online link to where you gave thirty days notice of cancellation.

I would like to be able to deal with them in writing.

D.
 
Back
Top