Virgin Media - General observations....

Was this fibre perhaps? First time fibre installations require this sort of work but normally the installer will discuss it with the householder to figure out the best/cleanest way to do it.

Well I know fibre has been installed in my neighbourhood for over 7 years now (we are in the centre of a reasonable size rural town) but I think it only goes to the footpath outside my house and from there they wanted to run cables all around the external 3 walls..... I had an acute sense of the downside trying to explain this my wife so, I told the technician to forget it!

It is not always easy to change utilities regardless of how often they say you should do it!!
 
I think it only goes to the footpath outside my house and from there they wanted to run cables all around the external 3 walls..... I had an acute sense of the downside trying to explain this my wife so, I told the technician to forget it!
If you want to control the cable path, hire someone independently to install the cable or a conduit it can run through for you. None of the providers who bundle installation with a contract will take the time or cost to do this for you.
 
For the last two renewals I’ve rung up VM and threatened to quit.

The “Loyalty Team” have given me either three or six months half price to keep me.

It’s good value for a phone call.
 
If you want to control the cable path, hire someone independently to install the cable or a conduit it can run through for you. None of the providers who bundle installation with a contract will take the time or cost to do this for you.
Interesting, I had not thought of that! True, it would make me more independent of the service provider from then on.
 
Virgin media advised me that if I changed providers, there would be a lot of hassle like that referenced above.
Another example of FUD from a service provider. If you're switching from VM cable broadband to a fibre provider then the fibre cable needs to be brought into your home and an Optical Network Terminal installed (assuming it's a Fibre To The Home installation). In most cases this is not "a lot of hassle". But obviously VM have a vested interest in convincing you that it will be.
 
Has anyone switched from Virgin media to Vodafone?
I switched from VM to Sky fibre a few months ago. It was a first time fibre installation. The KN Circet guy brought the fibre cable from the duct on the street into the house and installed the ONT on the wall inside. Sky were useless and a pain to deal with so I cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period and switched to Eir instead. They installed a different ONT (I'm not sure that this was actually necessary but the guy said it was) and it's been perfect since then and Eir have been grand to deal with.
 
The new contract that was sent today, and which I didn't ask for, and which costs €45 per month more, has a cooling off period. I thought I might complete the cooling off form just to cover myself. But, the link doesn't work.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/cooling-off-form/%20/
Surprise, surprise....

Will wait until the next bill arrives. If it isn't what I agreed in June, I will cancel the DD and pay the agreed amount directly and then email the CEO. (I presume it's possible to pay them a single amount without a DD in place.)

D.
 
Last edited:
But, the link doesn't work.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/cooling-off-form/%20/

Surprise, surprise....
There's an extraneous bit at the end of that link ("%20/").
The correct link is...
Code:
https://www.virginmedia.ie/cooling-off-form/
The new contract that was sent today, and which I didn't ask for, and which costs €45 per month more, has a cooling off period.
I don't understand why you're getting a new contract. Are you sure that you didn't agree to one on the phone or something? Or agree to some unbundling or rebundling of services? To be honest, this sort of messing is part of the reason that I was glad to get away from VM.
 
I made it clear on the phone that I didn't want a new contract. I just want to pay what I agreed in June - which they did charge me for two months and then things went off the rails.

Our area has only VM for fast BB. We don't have Sky fibre and it looks like we're not going to get SIRO either.

The new contract contains the same account number that we've always had. I'm afraid that if I complete the cooling off form, which asks for the account number, I might lose all service.

This is hugely time wasting and very frustrating.

I think I'll keep my DD cancellation option open and wait to see how much the November 7th bill is. I spoke to someone else on VM about an hour ago and he agreed that I shouldn't have been sent the new contract.

But, it doesn't seem to be possible to see what you've signed up for when you login to the VM site. Only past bills. What you've signed up for seems to be only in the contract email. Or, am I looking in the wrong place on the VM site?

Thanks.

D.
 
Last edited:
Our area has only VM for fast BB. We don't have Sky fibre and it looks like we're not going to get SIRO either.
I understand. That's the position that I was in until late last year when fibre services finally arrived in my area. So when my most recent VM contract was nearly up this summer I jumped ship to fibre rather than doing my usual disconnect from VM and sign back up as a new customer for the best deal for another year. And with Eir it's working out at c. €30 p.m. for 500Mbps after cashback and their April price increase are factored in - which is cheaper than the VM new customer 500Mbps deal. But that's all moot for you for now unfortunately... :confused:
 
I've never tried the cancellation/sign-up-as-a-new-customer route. I've always phoned and haggled and I've always been happy with the result. (We've been with them for years.)

But, this new contract has been a nightmare.

D.
 
Will wait until the next bill arrives. If it isn't what I agreed in June, I will cancel the DD and pay the agreed amount directly and then email the CEO. (I presume it's possible to pay them a single amount without a DD in place.)

Better to email CEO now rather than get into that long winded route.
 
I've never tried the cancellation/sign-up-as-a-new-customer route. I've always phoned and haggled and I've always been happy with the result. (We've been with them for years.)
The only way to get the best (i.e. new customer) deals is to cancel and sign back up as a new customer. But it can mean a few days down time which may not suit everybody. It never bothered me though.
 
My instinct is to take the last VM guy I spoke to at his word; that a new contract shouldn’t have been issued and that the next bill will be as per the June contract.

There are two weeks between receipt of the next bill and the payment drawdown; enough time to email the CEO and cancel the DD, if necessary.

Thanks.

D.
 
Ps. If I need to go the ComReg route, they want me to first contact VM and get a case ID.

How do I log a complaint with VM? What is the email address I should use, or do I have to write to their Limerick address?

Thanks.

D.
 
How do I log a complaint with VM? What is the email address I should use, or do I have to write to their Limerick address?


This page shows this Complaint and Contact Form

They say:
1. If you have a complaint, please get in touch via the form alongside
2. This complaint form is for Virgin Media Ireland Customers only
3. Once you submit your complaint you will receive a text message within 48 hours with a case ID
4. You will be contacted by a member of our Complaints Team.
5. We aim to resolve your complaint within 10 working days
6. If you need more information please visit Our Code of Practice
 
How do I log a complaint with VM?
Didn't I already tell you and you even gave the post a thumbs up... :confused:
 
goes to the footpath outside my house and from there they wanted to run cables all around the external 3 walls..

Sounds ridiculous.
With speeds of a gigabit+ you should be able to site the router in the nearest part of your house to the footpath?
Is there any chance that your old phone line is still there? If so the ducting you need might be in place?
 
Just sent a complaint form outlining all issues. Apparently, they respond to these by text, not email.
Am not sure how to treat that new contract which appeared in my inbox yesterday. It has my existing customer number. So, if I respond to it by submitting a cooling-off cancellation form, might that queer the pitch for my existing contract? (Which I’m happy with if they start charging me the agreed price.)

Piece today’s IT financial pages about losses at VM. They’re no longer the fastest offering in town. Plenty of competition. Things can only get worse, I’d say.

D.
 
Back
Top