"The Kilns", Portmarnock-any thoughts on the development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "The Kilns", Portmarnock? any thoughts on the development?

Spoke with Sherry Fitz today (David Brown) and he said Block three is due for closing end April/beg may - he said they are sending out letters in the coming days to inform people of compeltion dates.

by the way the gates were refused - david brown didnt know this - I was asking if they were going to appeal and he said they thought they were

Spoke also to Sherry Fitz yesterday, Block 4 by end of May/ early June.

Bad news about the gates any reasons why?, how did you hear?

unac said:
by the way the gates were refused - david brown didnt know this - I was asking if they were going to appeal and he said they thought they were

Is this since he/they posted this?

Hi all, I also bought in block 3 and have lost a serious amount of money because of selling my old house back in September (also through Sherry Fitz) My current estimated block 3 date is April/May. I can't beleive that Sherry Fitz who originally quoted December 05 as the final date, are not accountable at all in this situation. Have also checked onsite with the foreman how progress is coming along and May could be accurate for block 3. But I do worry about the dart station car park overflow as people are now parking on the paths at the links in the morning because there is no room. If there are no gates this will be a huge problem.

Like I said before, I would urge buyers to get in contact with Peter Coyle (Fingal County Council representative for Portmarnock) to see if he can shed any light on the PP for the gates situation.

I have no affiliation with him or his political party, but he is approachable.

Be in no doubt; the lack of gates at the development is an absolute disaster. The area cannot handle the amount of commuters each morning as it is so the overflow will end up on our door step. The entire front of the development will be a car-park from 8am-6pm every day.
I will be taking this up further, but it is deeply concerning that common sense is not exercised within Fingal County Council.

[broken link removed]

this is his website. there is a link for local news showing "how Peter Coyle is working for you". I suggest we all email him - I agree, this is very bad news - not only for encouraging free parking but also from a security point of view. And for crying out loud, if there was to be an exception to a no-gate policy, then the Kilns is surely it, facing as it it does the DART car park. .

Clamping has been fairly successful in deterring commuters in Seabrook Manor, so it's not the end of the world if there are no gates. From a security point of view, yes, but not necessarily from the point of view of interloping commuters.

Clamping certainly would be a deterent against Dart users but would not solve the problem with Joy riders. Both Seabrook and the links have experienced Joy riders before their gates were erected. I back the idea in contacting Peter Coyle and hearing what he has to say

The Links actually had problems with joyriders even after the gates were erected, unfortunately there is no hard and fast preventative measure.

I'm not sure that we have had joyriders in Seabrook. Speed ramps have been erected in the past 6 months. Plenty of criminal damage and theft but I don't recall any joyriding.

Am looking at the Kilns with a view to possibly buying in the next phase - actually does anyone know how many units will eventually be built ?

Am also wondering if there are any future plans for shops and other retail units in the development - will we have fo a fair bit to get our bread & milk ?!!

as far as i know it's 128 units? I saw the plans in Fingal town hall a while back and the file included letters telling the builders to scale it back from about 178. the builders have also been told to put in a creche. shops are planned at some point for station road..but to be honest Portmarnock village is just a 10 minute walk or a 2 min drive for milk, the basics..etc..

On a positive note, the development is beginning to take shape and the blocks at the front look great, which bodes well for the rest of the development. I am sure all homes have went up considerably in value as well.

Surely a solution to the gates can be found to at least prevent unauthorised cars entering.

Does anyone know if the underground carpark will have barrier to it, so that only people with zappers can enter?

steveyd said:
Surely a solution to the gates can be found to at least prevent unauthorised cars entering.

Other than clamping, I can't see an alternative?

steveyd said:
Does anyone know if the underground carpark will have barrier to it, so that only people with zappers can enter?

We don't have such a gate in Seabrook Manor, but I believe there is one in The Links.

great revised plans for developing station road - check out fingal website to view - shops, restaurants etc, development of moyne road - pedestrian road, pedestrian footbridge....development of dart station/ car parking facilities (multi story i hear!)....additional residential development - station road is to be developed as a boulevard! - any comments on the plans need to be sent by end mar 06.....

Planning Permission Refused on Gates : the options

Hi All , I have purchased in block 8 and like you all will have to be patient .

Peter Coyle has been most helpful on the above matter of the Security Gates .

In summary the Developer has two options

1 : To produce a new design with the gates installed further back in the development from the shuttle lights .

2 : Appeal to An Bord Pleanala : Last date for submitting an Appeal is 16th March ( cost 210 euro ) . Then another person within 28 days of the 16march makes an Observation to an appeal (cost 50 euro ) . Peter says he would put in an observation in support of the gates , if an Appeal is lodged .

I will forward Peters comments to the developers and see what happens .

Moneypenny ,

where exactly on the fingal website can i see all these plans ?

is it under maps ? ..........just cant seem to locate them .

thanks

Ber,

Do you know if an appeal has been lodged by builders?

I've also been talking to Peter who has been very helpful. The application for gates was refused based on the following (direct quotation from Planning Officer's Report):
  1. It is considered that the proposed development may lead to the gating and restricting access to this residential area that contains an area of zoned public open space. The proposed development would be contrary to this zoning and would be detrimental to the residential amenities of the adjacent properties by reason of restricting access. The proposed development would therefore be contrary to the development plan zoning objectives and to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
  2. Having regard to the proximity of the proposed development to the Station car-park entrance and the shuttle lights, and to the lack of information submitted as part of the application in relation to the operation of the proposed gates, it is considered that the proposed development may result in a traffic hazard at this location.
  3. The proposed development would lead to the creation of a 'gated community' which would be contrary to strategy 5153 and to the Councils and national objective of promoting social inclusion."
My opinions on these points are as follows:
  1. When he refers to "restricting access to this residential area that contains an area of zoned public open space", is he solely referring to the open spaces within the development (update from Peter - The word "zoned" was incorrect. 'Class 2' is the appropriate wording relating to the Open Space.)? Can this point not be easily identified during an appeal as factually incorrect and removed as a point of refusal, or does the Planning Officer's opinion hold sway? Access to these open spaces will still be available to the general public via the pedestrian entrances (which to my knowledge, will have no gates). As with most developments, car parking spaces are reserved for the use of residents and guests - it begs the question that if you are neither, then why would you require vehicular access?
  2. For me, this would appear to be the strongest point of refusal. If the gates are too close to the road, it would only add to the congestion at peak times already in place as a result of the under-resourced railway car park, the single lane railway bridge and the traffic lights. The Developer needs to clarify the plan in relation to the council's justified concern and/or possibly amend if the current plan will only add to the congestion issue. (Update from Peter - I agree that the issue of the gates being close to the road is a major point. Sliding gates would probably have to be located further into the development (like Seabrook Manor). This in turn then creates other difficulties with the design of parking lots near the entrance (the matter should have been addressed in the original planning application for the overall development). For the present location, I would imagine that an alternative quicker operating barrier or bollards would be needed. Bord Pleanála can consider an alternative. It is a matter of judgement for the Developer whether to proceed with a new application to the Council, or go to the Board.)
  3. I refer back to my point in section 1 above. The only restricted access will be vehicular, which provides a minimum level of security for our property while pedestrian access will not be restricted. For me, this is not a "gated community".
There's a bit of info there to mull over. For now, the key date is March 16th (next Thursday) in order for an appeal by the developer to the current application refusal to be lodged. Outside of this, a new application with a design more acceptable to the council will need to be submitted.

There is obviously a need for some sort of security gate (otherwise the application would not have been submitted in the first place). It is up to us to follow up on this to avoid that unpleasant lack of car feeling early one morning or upon returning from work on a day in the not too distant future.

As an aside, many thanks to Peter Coyle for his prompt and detailed response to my initial query.

spark said:

There is obviously a need for some sort of security gate (otherwise the application would not have been submitted in the first place). It is up to us to follow up on this to avoid that unpleasant lack of car feeling early one morning or upon returning from work on a day in the not too distant future.

As an aside, many thanks to Peter Coyle for his prompt and detailed response to my initial query.

I agree on both points.

Firstly, Peter Coyle has been excellent and deserves credit.

Secondly, it is up to us to follow up on this new information and maintain the momentum created. The builders have a number of things that they need to own and act upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back