"The Kilns", Portmarnock-any thoughts on the development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "The Kilns", Portmarnock? any thoughts on the development?

Hi All,
Just to add that most people will not notice the problem - and please be in no doubt this is a problem - with the planes going in but especially coming out of the airport if you are sitting on your balcony in the warmth of the summer. No point in saying you filter it out when you have the window close. Who wants to be a prisoner in their own homes during the summer. As a long term resident, I am lucky to own a house with a large back garden and I love to sit there enjoying a bbq or just reading a book. Unfortunately, that is constantly disturbed by the awful noise of the aircraft.
My advice is to contact the group UPROAR and inquire about the noise levels that are will hit Portmarnock if and when the new runway gets the goahead. They have all the details. I'm not trying to put you off but I am trying to warn you that all is not rosey.

i'm sure some people are concerned about the aircraft noise in Portmanock but let's not let the the really useful Kilns thread become a one -issue campaign centre for a problem that affects all of Portmarnock. Most of us are using the thread to keep each other abreast of the building progress in the Kilns and I for one have found all the advice incredibly helpful. I'm not downplaying the aircraft noise problem - but let's get it in perspective. I'm sure most people are looking forward to their big move, for some people it is a vastly expensive one, so lets not bombard the thread with a drip drip feed of scare stories over the next few months from people with their own agendas. everyone weighs up the pros and cons of a move such as this and it's unlikely that people have gone into it blind without taking in the pros and cons.
But looking at some of the postings - "Ohmigod, there's a DART station next door" or crikey "there are planes overhead" you'd swear we were moving into the middle of Transport Hell. As I am sure most people who know the area will agree, that's absolutely not the case. Yes, there is flight traffic, yes, it may increase in future years, but it's not Armageddon and we all individually deal with noise in our own way. Maybe I'm lucky having lived in London for nine years - I'm well used to trains and planes around me - even the flight path to Heathrow with five planes landing every minute can be managed. It strikes me that some people have very unreaslistic expectations of noise in what is now a big capital city - I just hope the Dublin airport/Portmarnock debate is rational - and if I can make a suggestion, moved to its own thread so the people who are moving to the Kilns can get on with planning for, and looking forward to, their big move.

Hi,
Called to the site this morning, the development is really starting to take shape, well at least the entrance & the townhouses at the front. Spoke with a site foreman, unfortunately he wouldn't let me come onto the site which was a bit disappointing but at the same time I have to understand because there was a lot of heavy duty machinery around whilst I was there. I'm Block 7 and site foreman told me this is only at the "block work stage" so he said there was really nothing for me to see and to come back in a couple of months time, which I will. I imagine showhouse should be ready in approx. 1 months time so I'll be out to have a look at that too.

The noise from the planes can be annoying, as can the trains. But that should be obvious to anyone who has visited the site. Neither has annoyed us to the extent that we would consider moving, but I can understand how it may cause others more distress.

Any more canvassing for support for UPROAR will be deleted. The point has been made.

I was talking to Sherry Fitz today making a few queries about the development and I was told that the show -house for the town houses is expected to be ready sometime in March.The spec in the townhouse will obviously be different to the apts but they will probably have cabinet doors, tiles etc from the apts on show too which will be useful.

Thought some of you might be interested:)

just noticed today, theyve only started work on block 6,7,9
wont be ready till sept by the looks of it.
anyone know what completion date sherryf are saying at the mo?

i rent in the links and the planes are no bother at all.

Hi all. I was out there on Sunday and you couldn't but be impressed with the townhouses at the front of the site, they look great. I bought in block 3 and I'm sure the spec is roughly the same for the whole development so things are looking good! The dreaded question I know but has anyone heard from SherryFitz recently with regard to completion date for aparts in block 3?
On another note I don't think 'planes, trains and automobiles' will cause us too many problems with regard to noise pollution, I reckon we're all lucky to be so close to airport and Dart.

BazP, afraid I might have some bad news. I boughts in Block 3 also and I heard from SherryFitz last week that we are looking at "April/May" completion.
I think that we can take it that "April/May" means May!

I'm in block seven and I was told last week that they're now looking at September completion for my block :rolleyes:

I have some questions which may seem silly to some people but I'm a ftb so if you could help me out I'd be grateful.

Paint/tile allowance
Is this where you can go to a showroom and pick your paint/tiles and if it's over a certain amount then pay the difference yourself?
If so, in The Kilns is it that you just get what you're given?
Is it a reasonable request to ask the builder/decorator to paint the walls a different colour if you supply the paint?

Wooden flooring
I know the best thing to do is to ask for the skirting boards to be left off or even just tacked on because removing them to lay wooden flooring means possibly damaging plasterwork, re-painting etc or else "beading" around the skirting board which is not nice. The builders have said they won't leave them tacked on as each unit has to be 100% finished. Is this standard or should I keep asking till they say yes?

I understand they can't adjust every unit to different specifications but I would have thought that just leaving skirting boards tacked was not that big a deal?

Hi there, we registered with SherryFitz for the next phase which will be released at the end of March/April. Does this mean they will only be built for Xmas (judging by the delays discussed in this thread)?? Or could they be releasing apptms that are being built right now.

Any feedback will be greattly appreciated.

The Kilns Portmarnock - NEW PHASE

Hi, I thought I would start a new thread alltogether..... We registered fot the next phase of The Kilns development in Portmarnock. According to SherryFitz they will be releasing new phase at the end of March/April. Does this mean they will only be built for Xmas 2006 (based on the pervious discussions on The Kilns and the delays they experienced)? Or could they be releasing units that are being built now?

Also, as this is new development - does anyone know if social/affordable housing will be going in there?If so, has anyone seen the plans for which blocks etc.?

Thanks!!

Dsha-please keep discussion of The Kilns in this thread. I can't see any reason to start a new one.

As far as I know there is no social housing but there is 26 apts that are afordable housing in block 8.

Bad news for those who have bought in Block 8...completion is now slipped back to december, most likely 2007 now. that's at least six months more than first mooted. i'm slighly losing confidence now in the builders...why are they going to be so late?

Beachman, whoever said that Block 8 would be complete by June 2006 must've been deluded. When I put my deposit down on day 1 of Phase 1 in May 2005, SherryFitz told me that completion date for my unit in Block 4 would be around Christmas 2005! I took this with a pinch of salt as I have found their service in general to be unhelpful and for the most part, they have provided answers which have later proved to be wide of the mark - although this appears to have changed of late.

From my first visit to site (July 2005), the engineers said that my unit would be ready to snag by the end of March 2006, and I said as much in my first post on this thread on Nov 18th last year. They have consistently stuck to this date until my most recent visit (last week) when I was informed that the first week of April might be closer to the mark.

hi Spark, to be honest, the the lateness of december/january 2007 for various reasons won't affect me too much as I am not under pressure to sell/move. other people will be though and i just feel people aren't getting straight answers and that's more harmful than the truth sometimes. what would you recomend in terms of who I could keep in touch with on site to check on progress over the next few months? someone who will tell it straight...

Unfortunately I would say the lateness of the completion has affected me. Thinking that my apartment would be completed early 2006 I sold my house in October 2005. My apartment is now showing a completion of "maybe" September 2006. To be honest I would have never sold my house if I had of known how long it was going to take for my apartment to be ready. If I was selling my house today I'd have made at least €35,000 more than what I got for it last October. No sarcastic comments from anyone on that score please........... I expected to be moving into the apartment in March 2006 at the latest. I was out at the site 2 weeks ago and my block is only at the "laying blocks stage". Thankfully I've been able to move back in with my parents until I'm ready to move on. There is no one on site that can keep you any better informed than the selling agent i.e. Sherry Fitz. No one wants to give a straight forward answer. I asked a foreman would it be possible for the electrician on site to do some extra work for me, I was told point blank "no". I'm looking forward to coming face to face with Sherry Fitzgerald representatives when the showhouses next month.

I really sympathise with you over the house sale, it's not fair to mess people around like that. my other worry is that the builders, who will be six months late, will do a rush job and make some sloppy mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back