"The Kilns", Portmarnock-any thoughts on the development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "the kilns", portmarnock? any thoughts on the development?

Hi beachman,
I've only gone onto site once since I bought a few months back. I just asked for the site engineer and he spent some time with me reviewing the plans and discussing the development in general in one of the port-a-cabins on the right as you enter. For electric & plumbing issues, he said I'd have to talk to the individual contractors that they use for any requests that I might have - best time to do this is when the roof goes on as this work does not start til then. He said any major changes would not be approved - fairly standard these days.
If I were you, I'd visit site & talk to them about Block 8 - have a list of q's with you & ask them when they think it will be finished. What size is your apartment & what was the price range for 2-beds in Phase 2?

thanks spark, the apartment is 700 sq ft...the price range is 335k to 345k.....yeah, i might just pop up and ask for the engineer...you mentioned having a list of q's...is there anything obvious I should ask? i guess when the roof is on i'll be asking about electrical sockets, that kind of thing. a completion guesstimate might be handy too!

cheers

I bought a one bed in Block 7 - 555 sq ft. Hope they don't decide to take 50 - 60 ft off my apartment, otherwise I might as well buy a cardboard box!!!!!! Good to read all your reviews. I bought my apartment on 4th May (paid my deposit). Was told that it would be ready end of December 05/beginning of Jan 06. Now I'm told it won't be ready until April / May 2006. Has anyone any idea how Block 7 is coming on? I'm definitely going to pay a visit to the site and try talk to the site engineer and the various contractors i.e. electricians etc, if I can. So far I've only managed to visit the site on Saturdays but unfortunately the place is all locked up and there's nobody there. Regarding the white goods i.e. fridge, cooker etc, my Solicitor had to do a lot of to-ing & fro-ing with the builders solicitor who were trying to fob me off that as the development was in such early stages that they couldn't guarantee these items, something on those lines blah-blah. Needless to say I was absolutely livid when I heard this. Eventually after a lot of phone calls & faxes between my solicitor and builders solicitor I received a satisfactory outcome.

Hi Anne,
I haven't heard any issues wrt white goods - what was the problem. Last date I was given for moving in was end Mar 06, so no surprise that it's been put back by another month or so. Not really too bothered about that, but I would like to move in by June. In relation to questions to ask, they were all to do with the layout of my apartment, particularly wardrobe, kitchen unit & bathroom fittings locations. Power & light points can be discussed with electrician before he starts this work (for an extra fee I'd say). Any queries about things like car parking, security gates, waste disposal & management fees, they did not have answers for - these are things we will be responsible for pushing through in the months after the handover of phase one with the management co. but before the developers do a legger after phase two.
Spark

Hi Spark,
When I met with my Solicitor back in June this year we went thru the various items of my contract. I asked my Solicitor why there was no mention of the white goods in my contract because I had been told that these were to be included etc. My solicitor contacted the builders solicitor and asked for clarification on these items. The response my solicitor received was that "as the building works were at such an early stage that they could not guarantee these items" ( I have copy of the fax at home that my solicitor received from builders solicitor and it was pretty much on these lines). I had just sold my house and had included my white goods in the sale price of my house because I was moving to a new apartment i.e. The Kilns and all these items would be supplied, as per brochure, sherry fitzgerald etc that "an array of fully integrated applicances were to be included in each apartment". Anyway, I had my solicitor argue the fact of the white goods and in the end we received a satisifactory response that yes, they would be included in the completion. I am going to try and visit the site in the next week or so, any info i get from site foreman etc I will keep you posted on same. Regarding Management fees, when I paid the deposit on my apartment back in May 05 I asked what would the management charges be, based on my size apartment (555 sq ft) it will be approx. €450.00 per annum. For me security is a big issue, I've bought on the ground floor. I'll obviously have an alarm fitted but for me I was sorry to hear that no security gates are being installed, maybe a security barrier will be put in place (that's the latest information I received from Sherry Fitz).

Hi Anne,
Thanks for the update - no idea if white goods were mentioned in my contract, just assumed that this was going to be the case, so I better check it out. If it's not in the contract I've signed, it will be my own fault, but won't stop me from having an eppo at SherryFitz, just for the entertainment value. Haven't been to site for about 10 days or so, might swing by tomorrow evening.

Hi Spark,

I was under the impression white goods would be fitted to all, I dont think this type of thing is put in the contracts. If they dont install the white goods, i reckon they will have a lot of unhappy people on there hands. I thought it was an incentive to sign the contracts on a timely basis.

we bought one of the duplexes too, seems like a nice location :)

one particular interest I have is what provision is being made for broadband on the estate? I know down the road in Beaupark they have magnet networks, anyone know what type of broadband or provider we will have in the kilns?

We have UTV next door in Seabrook Manor.

We have a terrible cable service.

uh oh......
so no dedicated fibre to the kerb? its all standard cable or dsl?
oh well.

We have UTV broadband through standard phoneline (need Eircom connection). Cable is by Broadworks, site pre-wired. Builder would not pay NTL to wire the entire site. While builder still retains control of the development, Broadworks have an effective monopoly. Service is poor, with promised enahancements never arriving.

I'm not sure what The Kilns will have, you could try asking the builders.

Hi Spark,
DON'T PANIC. There is no way the builders will not supply you with your white goods, you will get these, we all will. I know I told you about what happened with me but it was sorted out - I think they know better not to pull a stunt like that.

Hi anne1502,
I also have bought in the Kilns therefore also interested in the completion date. I was told that they originally had planned a show house to be completed by the Oct BKHoliday week. But now since they could not hit that date, they have decided to move on with the rest of the development. So early 06 might be a reasonable date.

Hi all,
I just happened to see this forum while looking on info for the Kilns. My boyfriend bought a 3 bed in Block 7. Did those of you who got plans get them from Sherry?
With regards the gates I own an apt in the Links and can say that the gates are fantastic. Having the development so close to the DART will most certainly cause parking problems.
We will be speaking with Sherry with regards this over the next few weeks. The more people demand this the more likely it will be completed.
With regards the developers I am a little concerned. The developers of the Links were fantastic and construction was pretty much on time. At this time 2 years ago my block had foundations only, it was completed in May - 5ths, however block 8 in the Kilns going by hearsay seems to be far behind where it should be at this stage if they want to complete it within the first half of next year.
It may be an idea to contact your local TD particularly if you are from the north couty dublin area. They can always assist.

Agreed, any obvious changes they can do to the duplex for you if requested?

Just received a voice message on my mobile this morning from Sherry Fitzgerald to advise me that my apartment will now not be completed until mid summer 2006. I purchased in Block 7. Has anyone else received a similar call from Sherry Fitz???????????????????? I've tried to call them back but nobody is available to take my call, obviously I'll want an explanation as to why there is such a delay. I'm seriously having my doubts about the building firm on this site i.e. Ravenshall Developments.

New to the property game too.Surprised about the security gates as this will surely cause serious parking issues due to our proximity to the DART station.I was told Apartments were due for completion in March 2006 but not surprised if this is delayed.

So far dealings with Sherry Fitz have been OK - generally contact them via e-mail. (this guy seems pretty efficient -
[email protected])

Another one new to the property game but I find it hard to believe there aren't going to be any security gates. I agree with one of the above comments that if enough of us get onto Sherry Fitz they might try and put in gates.
I also checked the original brochure which said that gates would be included. Unfortunately, if you read the back cover it also says that plans and specifications are preliminary only and are subject to change. I'm not a solicitor but I'm sure they were covering their own backsides when they included that paragraph so it might be hard to go down the legal route in an attempt to get them to install gates.
A guy in my office lives in Kinsealy and gets the dart from Portm in the morning. He says that it can be impossible to get parking at the station if you're not there early enough in the morning, all of which doesn't bode well for us (they might as well stick a flashing neon parking sign by the entrance to our estate!).

Surely they will be able to erect something to prevent cars looking to park in the development. Why would they not put up the gates? I am sure it would add value to the development. I dont know what the issues are around planning permission, but I know Seabrook Manor have had problems with people parking there, whereas the Links which has gates looks extremely more private.

The advantage the Kilns may have over seabrook manor is that it is alot smaller a development and therefore it may not be as easy for people using the development as a car park.

What is the most recent Sherry Fitzergald line on the gates anyone?

I agree, it could only be good for the development to have security gates.
I got onto my solicitor and he's going to check it out with Sherry Fitz. I'll post a reply when he gets back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back