Katie Taylor

So a mis match of a contest. As are most testimonials.
She is the mandatory challenger, they have been directed to fight so not like Katie decided who she wanted to fight.
I never take anything for granted when it comes to something like this.

Of course I want the fairy tale but Pili has got youth on her side, does she have the experience and speed to match Katie, possibly not but that's not to say you don't get that one punch landing on the chin and it's lights out. Katie does let her hands drop when she takes breathers before getting into a combination, that could be fatal for her.
 
It will be a tough challenge for Katie but am confident she will come out on top.......on points.
 
“I purposely chose this tough challenge for my last fight


This is from the article you posted. Her camp did the picking.
 
“I purposely chose this tough challenge for my last fight


This is from the article you posted. Her camp did the picking.

Im not a big follower of boxing but I think you may have misinterpreted that. Katie Taylor is a World Champion, it is possible she could have chosen a lessor opponent of lower quality for a non-title fight. That is something some title holders may choose to do if they are coming back from an injury, have an effective warm-up fight before opening up for a title challenge. I think its probably rare but I think its in the rules.

This Taylor/Pili fight is a title fight. Taylor may be able to offer a challenge to a number of contenders but that is the important thing, they have to be legitimate contenders. Pili is 12 wins from 12 and holds some title belts so it would suggest to me she is a legitimate contender. It would be unfair if the title holder could just pick average fighters and avoid all the other good fighters working tirelessly hard to have a crack at a title.

There may be some exceptions or clauses where the prize money is some ridiculously staggering amount - boxing has a long history of corruption and bribery, but womens boxing (Taylor/Serrano) has brought some esteem back into the sport in the way they conduct themselves both inside and outside the ring.
 
This Taylor/Pili fight is a title fight. Taylor may be able to offer a challenge to a number of contenders but that is the important thing, they have to be legitimate contenders. Pili is 12 wins from 12 and holds some title belts so it would suggest to me she is a legitimate contender. It would be unfair if the title holder could just pick average fighters and avoid all the other good fighters
This!
No cherrypicking.
 
No cherrypicking.
Your sister said earlier that
so not like Katie decided who she wanted to fight.

Go back and listen to the 2 boxers discussing her selection of opposition in the discussion with Des Cahill I referenced earlier in the thread. They are guys in the know.

I wish Katie well, will be a good night out for families with the concert and all but it is a setup fight. Be under no illusion, regardless of what belt they make up for it.
 
I wish Katie well, will be a good night out for families
I'll echo that. I'm planning a good night in with the telly and some of the family out Wesht - daughter, son-in-law, grand-kids, Granny (my ex) might even drop in. We'll get a big takeaway and chill, no cooking, fewer pots and dishes to be washed. They're back at work and in school after the holliers in France (35+ degrees a couple of days) so I'm dying to hear the stories from les plages de France.

Sounds like a giant night in Croker with eight bouts to watch plus WestLife and the rest. C'mon Katie!
 
Did she save the best for last or what.......
She did her 'last 20 seconds on the bag' and dug deep. (If you do / did boxing you will know the pain of that!)

She looked tired and very happy for it to be over.

Westlife brought the cheese, great song choice felt like I was attending a giant prayer ceremony lol!

The ring walk was everything it needed to be, very emotional, you forgot there was a fight to come after it. The loudest ole ole was when Flora came out, in my 44 years on this earth I've never heard a louder one.

The gloves and belts in the centre of the ring, a lovely tradition, and so happy that she got to do it on home soil. Matchroom Boxing and Dazn put on one hell of a show, I'd hate for this to be the last time this happens in Croke Park.

For now homeward bound for a cuppa and to find my voice, it is on the missing list.
 
I got home about 2:00 a.m. from the Wesht too tired to do much other than click a few "likes", full of tandoori chicken with garlic and extra spice, garlic naan, saffron rice, and strawberries and cream. The roads were fairly quiet, no nutters about thankfully.

A spectacular Katie-fest, and, as she said herself, congratulations and thanks to everyone who contributed, on the night and throughout her incredibly successful career, as an amateur and a professional.

I was worried when I saw the two boxers togged out in the ring, Flora Pili looked huge in the arms and shoulders in comparison to Katie, as well as that bit taller, but seemed lacking in the skills and ring-craft of our champ once they got down to business. I don't know how the professionals score these bouts but I had it at an unbiased (of course!) 3.5 to 6.5 rounds in Katie's favour at the final bell. Katie had the old "downstairs-upstairs" routine off to a tee and delivered it often. I'm glad neither competitor got seriously hurt. I'm still in two minds about the shorter rounds in women's boxing as it leaves little time for re-establishing yourself if things go against you in a particular round.

It was great to see Katie surrounded by her family as well as her boxing family in the ring, and to see Pete (dad) and Sean (hubby) there too. We hit a huge mile-stone en famille with my soon-to-be one-year-old grand-daughter, an early delivery because of complications, making it to her feet for the very first time as Katie professed her faith in the ring. A miracle? Coincidence? Who knows, but the tears that were bubbling under flowed as our 50-week old made it from knee-to-knee along the couches with Croker in the background. She was up for a nappy change and was having a roll-around the carpets when she decided to do her own version of a ring-walk. A great way to end the night.
 
I'm still in two minds about the shorter rounds in women's boxing as it leaves little time for re-establishing yourself if things go against you in a particular round.
I would like to see 3-minute rounds, I agree with you I just don't think the two minutes is enough.
 
I don't agree. I think the two min rounds are long enough for , and I'm not been sexist when I say this , for women. It looked like Katie was feeling it after the two mins , but then again she is 40 , . Physically the three mins are a long time for men , I think.
As long as Katie has been boxing as a pro no one has never mentioned this before so how come it is now....
Leave it as it is , I say.
 
As long as Katie has been boxing as a pro no one has never mentioned this before so how come it is now....
Serrano wanted 3 minute rounds for their last fight.

She has also vacated one of her belts because she feels so strongly about the WBC not sanctioning three minute rounds for women.


I mean we go on about equality all the time why not let some fights go through with three rounds and see how they fare?
 
I think the women's marathon should be over a distance of 31.74 kms, that women's soccer matches should only be an hour long, that there should a Women's Grand National over a shorter distance and over fewer, lower, fences, that camogie matches and women's football should be held on smaller pitches, for shorter times and with smaller balls. Oh and make the goals bigger and award 5 points for a goal.

:rolleyes:
 
Serrano and camp wanted a lot of things ....
I still think the three minute rounds would have been too long especially during the Serrano fights. It was a heavy slog during the last three or four rounds.
Whatever about Katie and Sorrano , who are the best and toughest in the business, been able for three minute rounds, less stronger girls would not be able , in my opinion.
 
Women are more competitive than men, look at any Camogie match where even if one team is way ahead it always tries to go further ahead. In the men’s game the team leading by a mile tends to ease up. I’m all for women in sport. In fact, I’m involved training young girls (and boys) in sport. But, I used to think boxing is not for women. However, with timed two minute boxing rounds, I think I’ve changed my mind. The Taylor/Serrano fights were horrific and something had to be done to make the sport more “friendly.”
 
Back
Top