Katie Taylor

As every other sport faces up to the reality of the dangers of head contact and brain injury, boxing still celebrates people punching each other in the head. Add in the involvement of Conor Mcgregor in last nights fight together with this weird thing where professional boxers are paid millions to fight you tubers, it is not a sport I will ever get excited about.
And that's before we talk about corruption and the involvement of people like Daniel kinnehan.

Well done Katie Taylor. She is a brilliant athlete. Just wish she stuck to the football....
 
As every other sport faces up to the reality of the dangers of head contact and brain injury, boxing still celebrates people punching each other in the head. Add in the involvement of Conor Mcgregor in last nights fight together with this weird thing where professional boxers are paid millions to fight you tubers, it is not a sport I will ever get excited about.
And that's before we talk about corruption and the involvement of people like Daniel kinnehan.

Well done Katie Taylor. She is a brilliant athlete. Just wish she stuck to the football....
But not all boxers suffer from brain injury.
There are some football (soccer) players who suffer from brain injury too , it seems so she is better off sticking to what she is passionate about....and hope for the best..
 
Well Done to Katie Taylor, our greatest ever boxer. She recorded a points victory over her perennial opponent, Amanda Serrano, around 05:30 hours local time .


She took a fair bit of punishment judging by the photographs and maybe it's getting to "hang up the gloves time". I don't want her to get seriously hurt or end her career being carried from the ring.

Well done again champ.
 
So it looks like Katie is going to get her dream and have her last fight in Croke Park. Set to be announced on Friday. She deserves this after what she has done for women's boxing.
She is arguably the best sports person to come from Ireland. Well deserved.
 
I doubt there will be anywhere near that level of interest
I disagree.

As a proud Bray woman and coming from the same parish as Katie, Ballywaltrim (yup Oldcourt lol!) I think this is going to be sold out.

One thing that struck me both times when I went to New York to see her fight was the amount of families there with young children, they have family seating areas in Croke Pk for this and family tickets.

This is going to be a parent's only chance to bring their child to see their idol fight on home soil. I for one can't wait! I have my own trilogy to complete!
 
I disagree.
Des Cahill discussed the whole thing on Sunday Sport with 2 boxers. Even Des was embarassed talking about the risk of a poor turnout . Have a listen back.
Even Rte ran an article about who would be on the hook for financial losses. Never seen that before
 
Even Rte ran an article about who would be on the hook for financial losses. Never seen that before
The 42 did a piece also going back of the history of the biggest fights held here and in the north. Selling this out is likely a long shot, but while I have zero interest in boxing it'd be nice to see her get a decent reception.
 
And there were still tickets for sale in the 3 Arena on the day. So 10 times that size ???
That's the scale of the challenge. The biggest boxing crowd in Ireland in recent decades was the Steve Collins Vs Eubank fight that attracted 10k. Biggest ever was the 19k who paid and some who didn't to see Ali in 1972.
 
Steve Collins Vs Eubank fight that attracted 10k
My Da went to both those fights. He said I was too young at the time.
I remember him and brother swanning down to Millstreet in an Opel Frontera he got for the weekend, my favourite car at the time.
My poor Ma having to put up with me for the weekend lol, I was inconsolable.

He paid for my airfare to New York to make up for it for the first fight :cool:
 
Back
Top