Delays in rolling out vaccine

Will many young people sign up for J&J or AZ given potential side effects in younger people and them being less effective than the Pfizer? I guess the J&J single jab might be attractive to them from an ease of travel and access to indoor hospitality viewpoint. I will advise my older children to wait for the Pfizer.
On what basis would you give such advice?

Do we know why Romania is selling us one million or so vaccines? Have they an oversupply? Has everyone been vaccinated in Romania?

I can still remember it as if it was today. It was magical. Perhaps we need that spark again.
A brilliant penalty shoot out but a dreadful game .
Myself and a few mates were in Genoa for the game and on returning to the bar that we frequented during our stay the owner had a special treat for us - he recorded the game in it's entirety for us - it was a long night !

A brilliant penalty shoot out but a dreadful game .
Myself and a few mates were in Genoa for the game and on returning to the bar that we frequented during our stay the owner had a special treat for us - he recorded the game in it's entirety for us - it was a long night !
Were you one of the hoards who were calling the local credit union for extra funds. Like the rest of the country we watched in the pub, then into Cork city centre........what a night.

Were you one of the hoards who were calling the local credit union for extra funds. Like the rest of the country we watched in the pub, then into Cork city centre........what a night.
We travelled with Dave Bacuzzi travel - ex Cork Hibs Manager and then branched out on our own for the games v Romania and Italy - flop houses from then on 3 to a bed but funnily enough never went short of drink !
We couldn't get back from Italy and had to travel to Paris by train and fly from there - the only available seats were in first class which were paid for by card by one of the lad's fiancee.
It was just the 3 of us and the Dubliners in first class who were returning from a European tour , great guys who advised us to drink our body weight in snipes of champagne to get our money's worth.

Do we know why Romania is selling us one million or so vaccines? Have they an oversupply? Has everyone been vaccinated in Romania?
Romanians tend to have very little trust in their government and a large number live in very rural areas and simply won't take a vaccine.

With expiry dates of end July and end August and excess supply, it's sell them now or dump them in 4 weeks.

Will many young people sign up for J&J or AZ given potential side effects in younger people and them being less effective than the Pfizer? I guess the J&J single jab might be attractive to them from an ease of travel and access to indoor hospitality viewpoint. I will advise my older children to wait for the Pfizer.
The chance of a blood clot is miniscule. You have a far greater chance of multiples of dying in a car accident in the next 3 months.

When the blood clots were first found there was concern as they did not know the specific clot it was and therefore did not know what to treat it with. That was sorted back in April and they now know how to treat it, (literally a course of tablets) hence zero deaths or serious illness since then.

Unfortunately the media and those on social media don't put the same effort into updating the information.

If momentum continues and people put trust in the experts, 90%+ will be fully vaccinated by early August - and we may pass out the excellent UK levels.

Unfortunately the media and those on social media don't put the same effort into updating the information.
According to the BBC up to 16 June there were 389 reported cases of blood clots with low platelet levels in people who had the AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK, with 68 deaths. In the same period there were 12 cases in people given the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, with one death, and none in those receiving the Moderna vaccine. By this date about 16.8m Pfizer/BioNTech, 24.5m AstraZeneca and 0.73m Moderna vaccine first doses had been administered in the UK.

My older children have decided to wait for the Pfizer on the basis that Covid poses little risk to them, so there is no rush to take a poor cousin vaccine. Each to their own.

According to the BBC up to 16 June there were 389 reported cases of blood clots with low platelet levels in people who had the AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK, with 68 deaths. In the same period there were 12 cases in people given the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, with one death, and none in those receiving the Moderna vaccine. By this date about 16.8m Pfizer/BioNTech, 24.5m AstraZeneca and 0.73m Moderna vaccine first doses had been administered in the UK.

My older children have decided to wait for the Pfizer on the basis that Covid poses little risk to them, so there is no rush to take a poor cousin vaccine. Each to their own.
Wow. Even what you posted contradicts your own thoughts.

Each to their own, No, you are simply being elitist.

From previous posts and now this post, it seems surprising given the way you apply logical thinking that you haven't thought "Viral vector vaccines like AZ & J&J have been tried and tested over many years whereas mRNA vaccines have been in use for less than a year and have only been given emergency use authorization. Therefore, I'm advising my children to take the AZ or J&J vaccine and not take the mRNA type vaccine because they're not tried and tested"

Last edited:
I'm advising my children to take the AZ or J&J vaccine and not take the mRNA type vaccine because they're not tried and tested
That seems like a reasonable rational to me. I considered same. On balance my view is that the mRNA is a better option. I'm not suggesting I'm right and you're wrong. AZ and J&J are no more tried and tested than Pfizer, they are all beta tests. Have they not all only been given emergency use authorization?

Back