Delays in rolling out vaccine

Of the five who had received two doses, was there any mention of whether they had underlying conditions or were in a high risk category?

I know it's off topic but why does everyone leave the "The" out when talking about the Government and the Cabinet?
"Government" is used when talking about the idea of government rather than a specific government. The same goes for "Cabinet". It annoys me far more than it should.
Never noticed that, now you mention it yeah why?
Now theres two of us .......but I'm not going to mull over it, painting a bench , stupid bench.

There ya go and it's not 9 months since we started.
Well done all.
I suspect that the vaccination rate is higher than reported because c. 235K of us got the single jab Janssen vaccine and the emphasis always seems to be on those who have been double jabbed when counting those who are fully vaccinated. Either way it's been a great job by all involved and a great response by the vast majority of citizens.

Last edited:
The success of the vaccination programme also demonstrates the importance of public pressure & demands for accountability. In its very early days the vaccination programme was lethargic and mired in red tape and the usual excuses, but due to pressure by the public and the media the government got its act together quite quickly.

The success of the vaccination programme also demonstrates the importance of public pressure & demands for accountability. In its very early days the vaccination programme was lethargic and mired in red tape and the usual excuses, but due to pressure by the public and the media the government got its act together quite quickly.
But in reality there was a pan European shortage of vaccines. Nobody really expected this to go smoothly initially the logistics of getting vaccines to care homes should not be underestimated, but during that period we were administering as much as we could get.
There were things that perhaps should have been planned better like the use of GPs and pharmacies but they too wanted their " pound of flesh".
Additionally the information about the vaccine and it's safety was well done and it allowed people to make an informed decision.
We are a lot of things and our governments of the past and now have much to be criticised for this isn't one of them, the population wanted vaccines earlier but as seen they were fully committed and we are the shining light despite those initial issues.

Dunno if this is the correct thread to post this, but as its relevant to the continued rollout of the vaccine and probably boosters for the vulnerable I'll give it a go.

BBC just showed a clip of a longer programme on the situation in Preston Hospital and the ongoing effects of Covid.

2 women were sharing a ward both admitted for covid, one vaccinated both became very sick with both needing intensive care but . However the woman vaccinated did not need the same level of oxygen as the other woman and the doctor attributed this to the vaccine and said that the booster for vulnerable and elderly is a must.
The unvaccinated woman was not an antivax but wasn't sure, shes a non smoker and doesn't drink and felt that she would be fine if she got covid, she said on the clip, she was "near death".

It was a fairly emotional clip and both were on the mend and this is obviously anecdotal but I thought I'd share.

It's now being widely reported that Mercks covid pill has shown a 50% reduction in hospitalization in people who had contracted covid. This has to be peer reviewed

I've tried to link but it isn't working for me today.

More good news, I believe Pfizer and others are also working on their pill versions and hope to be in production in 2022

It's now being widely reported that Mercks covid pill has shown a 50% reduction in hospitalization in people who had contracted covid. This has to be peer reviewed

I've tried to link but it isn't working for me today.

Here is a link to a Reuters report on the Merck’s COVID-19 pill.

If it works, it would certainly be a game changer. The pill can be taken at home.

It might also be an easier option for distribution to countries with less developed health systems.

I have a lot of respect for Ardern I think she is the type of political leader modern countries need, however she and her government really have gotten their policies/strategies regarding Covid 19 wrong and I'm not taking pleasure in typing that.

While their efforts initially were the envy of the world the Delta variant has scuppered the "zero covid " approach has now been rendered useless. There has been some pretty large protests in Auckland over the past week where it still is under a severe lockdown.

And I suppose the lesson from New Zealand's and indeed Australias efforts is that zero covid simply doesn't work as the virus evolved and essentially side stepped human effort.

Vaccination is the only way out of this and I'm still of the opinion that we haven't seen the last battle with this virus yet and while vaccines are effective, trying to keep it out of any country is fruitless it adds more urgency to getting every country vaccinated or it'll be " rinse and repeat" with the virus remaining in the population.

Last edited:
Well said Paul. Viruses were here before us and they'll be here after we're gone. It is the height of folly and human arrogance to think that we can control their movement to such an extent that we can prevent them from entering entire countries. We can delay, but that's about it.

BBC just had a report, again with a dollop of nationalism, that the AZ vaccine has arrived in Antarctica to the British Exploration project. (25 doses in total I think)

This made me chuckle as they think its important, however most poorer countries wait.

BBC just had a report, again with a dollop of nationalism, that the AZ vaccine has arrived in Antarctica to the British Exploration project. (25 doses in total I think)

This made me chuckle as they think its important, however most poorer countries wait.
One had to look our for the chaps out there flying the flag of Empire don't you know?

The Sunday Business Post today has a story where it says the HSE are struggling with identifying people who would need a booster jab .
22500 people have been identified via hospital records, with 50% receiving appointments and 4000 receiving a jab.

Its goes on to say that the HSE thinks there are 50-100k people who will need a third jab.

Reading this one would be forgiven to think what do these people in the HSE do all day?

We have vaccinated a huge swathe of the population, surely the details of these vulnerable are already known, otherwise how were they identified initially?

This is unbelievable, there is no register for immunocompromised patients in Ireland and the work is very "labour intensive " in all honesty you couldn't make this up, the data was generated why are the reinventing the wheel? A simple database query would do this, but of course that would assume that the original data was captured properly.

Can't link but p10 in SBP has the story.

Back