Delays in rolling out vaccine

The second dose of AZ is from anything from eight to twelve weeks. I will be eight weeks on tomorrow Sat. When I rang to find out when I would get my second jab I was told that I was in a queue.
Might be due to supply as I said above the deliveries from AZ aren't constant for example 142k were received 2 weeks ago nothing last week and with 90,000 plus administered last week.

How did we miss this announcement by Curevac? Its CEO has said that 13 variants weighed on its efficacy which was only 47% out of 40000 trial population. AZ and Pfizer/Biotech are about 90% after 2 doses

I also read elsewhere, will find and post, that Novavax might not be as effective against any variant with the exception of the Kent variant.

Edit Correction it now appears to be fine against all variants at 90%.

What the hell was I reading??

Last edited:
How did we miss this announcement by Curevac? Its CEO has said that 13 variants weighed on its efficacy which was only 47% out of 40000 trial population. AZ and Pfizer/Biotech are about 90% after 2 doses
Well I didn't. Because it's UK partner's shares took a huge tumble on the announcement. I felt the pain in my pocket. :(

Well I didn't. Because it's UK partner's shares took a huge tumble on the announcement. I felt the pain in my pocket. :(
I wouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bath water yet. It might be that they got the dosage wrong, I think they encountered flu like side effects at higher dosage and the tweaking was down.

MRNA technology is still in its infancy and with the virus being with us for an unknown time they might get better results in focusing on specific variants or mix of variants .

MRNA technology is still in its infancy and with the virus being with us for an unknown time they might get better results in focusing on specific variants or mix of variants .
Was watching Horizon on BBC2 last Tuesday about the development of various vaccines. They spoke to scientists working on the various vaccines. Prof. Teresa Lambe (from Kildare and a UCD graduate) who is one of the co-developers of the AZ vaccine at Oxfords Jenner Institute was very much featured in the programme. Anyway, one of the people involved in the development of the Pfizer MRNA vaccine said that this new technology makes it easier to adapt a vaccine to cope with new variants. That's reassuring news.

Was watching Horizon on BBC2 last Tuesday about the development of various vaccines. They spoke to scientists working on the various vaccines. Prof. Teresa Lambe (from Kildare and a UCD graduate) who is one of the co-developers of the AZ vaccine at Oxfords Jenner Institute was very much featured in the programme. Anyway, one of the people involved in the development of the Pfizer MRNA vaccine said that this new technology makes it easier to adapt a vaccine to cope with new variants. That's reassuring news.
I think Prof Lambe got an "honorary knighthood", don't know what the equivalent for a woman is, in the Queens Birthday honours list.

That's the beauty of the mRNA its essentially programmable to seek out the protein signature of the virus and tell your T cells to attack it.

Although still in its infancy in its usage, the technology has been around for 30yrs but wasn't really taken seriously by the general scientific community with the Hungarian woman been chucked out various research universities due to funding being pulled or directed elsewhere.

But her and the Biontech owners kept going albeit in the cancer arena and progress was slow but here we are.

There is now research starting that might allow one dose of an MNRA vaccine to inoculate from multiple viruses including the flu? This is the holy grail of the vaccine world and there is an ex-Pfizer researcher who has been working on this for years , funded mostly by donors including Gates, and they use pigs in Honduras to test, (this isn't mRNA though, but might change now)

Vaccines were always the poor relation in the biopharmaceutical/ pharmaceutical world, not enough profit but that's now being challenged too.

Last edited:
Concerns re: Delta variant have change the equation for risk v benefits for the non mRNA vaccines.
I understand pharmacies are keen to play a bigger role in the vaccination process now that they can use those vaccines on all age groups.

Both the AstraZeneca and Janssen vaccines will be made available for all age groups. They had previously been made available for those over 50.
Earlier today, it emerged that the delay between receiving both doses of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine is expected to be halved after a recommendation from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC).

Concerns re: Delta variant have change the equation for risk v benefits for the non mRNA vaccines.
I understand pharmacies are keen to play a bigger role in the vaccination process now that they can use those vaccines on all age groups.

Both the AstraZeneca and Janssen vaccines will be made available for all age groups. They had previously been made available for those over 50.
Earlier today, it emerged that the delay between receiving both doses of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine is expected to be halved after a recommendation from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC).

It will be interesting to see how the 4 week interval for AZ works out in terms of side effects, but if it speeds things up go for it.

Pharmacies set to begin vaccinating 18-34 year-olds from next Monday...
Stephen Donnelly said that the youngest age cohort of adults would have an option to be given the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine from their pharmacist from next week. Donnelly also confirmed that the online booking system for 30-34 year-olds will also open next Friday.

Will many young people sign up for J&J or AZ given potential side effects in younger people and them being less effective than the Pfizer? I guess the J&J single jab might be attractive to them from an ease of travel and access to indoor hospitality viewpoint. I will advise my older children to wait for the Pfizer.

Will many young people sign up for J&J or AZ given potential side effects in younger people and them being less effective than the Pfizer? I guess the J&J single jab might be attractive to them from an ease of travel and access to indoor hospitality viewpoint. I will advise my older children to wait for the Pfizer.
AZ maybe not, but I can see J&J being very popular because it is single dose.
I think we may have the opposite issue with J&J and not having enough supply to meet demand.

Back