Delays in rolling out vaccine

Where are they getting supplies? The Government are saying we'll get 60k which we have , and there is little else apparently arriving.
We were meant to get 475k by the end of June.

Again, I'm only going by ECDC figures which are now 4 weeks old.....
Yes, maybe they were lined up in case we got the doses but with those figures it doesn't look good.

I got the call for my second AZ vaccine today to be given to me next Saturday. Eight weeks after my first. Unfortunately of all days for this appointment to be made I cannot be there......thankfully on this occasion I can respond to their email and request the appointment to be rescheduled.

I see from today 1300 Community Pharmacists will start Administering the single-shot Johnson&johnson to people over 50 who have not received any Vaccine,
Will people between 60 and 69 who did not want to receive the 2 shot AstraZeneca Vaccine be included,
Do people have to go through the HSE to get an appointment with the Community Pharmacist first,

Last edited:
I see from today 1300 Community Pharmacists will start Administering the single-shot Johnson&johnson to people over 50 who have not received any Vaccine,
Will people between 60 and 69 who did not want to receive the 2 shot AstraZeneca Vaccine be included,
Do people have to go through the HSE to get an appointment with the Community Pharmacist first,
You go directly to the pharmacy according to this... it just says over 50s rather than 50-60

Why would it include those who refused a second shot?
There is no scientific evidence that these two vaccines can be mixed.

This is for those who couldn't get to main vaccination centres.

I have had to cancel my second AZ shot at the Aviva. I texted "new" when I got the invite. Does anyone know how long it will take to get a new date or should I just phone them?

I have been doing nothing for the past number of months and then two things happen at the same time!

Why would it include those who refused a second shot?
There is no scientific evidence that these two vaccines can be mixed.

This is for those who couldn't get to main vaccination centres.
Wires crossed paul possibly badly stated by me,
I was referring to people between 60 and 69 who did not take any of the AZ Vaccine which was the only one offered to this age group unless there was an underline reason they should not receive it,

Leo said they would have to go to the back of the Que if they did not take the two-shot AZ on offer,

It now looks like the people between 60 and 69 who opted not to take AZ will now be fully vaccinated before most who took the AZ Vaccine,

Just for the record the article I read stated clearly states pharmacies will not offer the Vaccination to anyone who has been already being part vaccinated, The article said it included anyone over 50 not vaccinated including those who could not get to the main vaccination centers ,

you said this is for those who couldn't get to the main vaccination centers, the question I was asking was those 60 and 69 who did not want the
AZ vaccine can now get the Johnston &johnston in the Pharmacy in this correct,

Last edited:
I remember reading that it takes about 4 weeks for the first jab of the AZ vaccine to take effect fully. Does it take the same length of time for the second jab to take effect or is it much quicker?

If nothing else this story seems to suggest that the link between cases and hospitalisation has been weakened for those fully vaccinated. Of course more data and analysis will follow to be absolutely sure, but this is good news.

The studies tracked efficacy 2 weeks after 2nd dose so that seems to be the interval.
In general but individuals can vary depending on unique health situations.

I thought efficacy was detected after 2 weeks of the first too, not as high as both doses but 50 to 60% for the Kent variant especially.

First Pfizer jab done this morning at Croke Park MVC - am in early 40s.
No running commentary or national anthem from the Artane Boys Band alas :(

I was jabbed by a paramedic who joked "Don't worry, I can do this going around a corner at 60mph."

If you are going to Croke Park, entrance is on Jones Road (junction with Russell Avenue).
Car parking is free, to the rear of the Croke Park Hotel.

It's a bit cramped inside the MVC, they have a sheltered outside waiting area I thought they should have let the queue build up there and only let people into the MVC as booths are ready.
To expedite things when you get in, write or print out your name, address, DOB, PPS number, mobile number on a piece of paper. It's a bit noisy inside the MVC and the sign-in person is behind screens and a mask so avoids you having to shout all your details in public.

Note that there is a walk-in test centre off the Clonliffe Road, so don't end up there by mistake - there are signs along the road for both destinations. If you are wondering why there are so many Gardai in the area it's because the Courts Service also has a temporary home at Croke Park.

Stephen Donnelly has tweeted that the vaccine portal will open this weekend for 35-39 age bracket.
39 year olds being asked to register from Sunday.

It now looks like the people between 60 and 69 who opted not to take AZ will now be fully vaccinated before most who took the AZ Vaccine,
Seems so. I met one acquaintance who declined the AZ and shortly after was offered the Pfizer. She's now fully vaccinated and I'm still waiting on my second AZ jab. Also, the wife of a friend of mine was offered the J&J but refused it when she got the text message calling her for the jab and was then given the Pfizer.

Last edited:
Looks Like the HSE has provided the ECDC with data that is now showing on the latest report. The data is up to last Sunday the 13th of June.

I would'nt say that the data is 100% accurate but it does give credence to the figures that the Government/HSE has mentioned over the last few weeks when we had to take their word for the figures.

On the supply side I was happily surprised to see that deliveries from all suppliers were robust and with the exception of Moderna, which missed one week, we recieved doses every week. Pfizer/ Biontech over the last 2 weeks delivered 530,000 and they have provided 2,604,420 in ytd. AZ have provided 821,000 Moderna 348,000 and J&J 145,200. The Total Recieved since January is 3,918,720

We have now administered 3,146,533 vaccines in total ( Ist 2,145,671 & 2nd 929,685, J&J 71,777) when the daily data was stopped due to the hack on the 11th of May the figures were 1,922,913 in total (Ist 1,407,555 and 2nd 514,808, J&J 550). The ECDC data counts J&J as 2 doses so I have adjusted the 2 dose figures.

I think its not unreasonable to say this is pretty impressive and despite the issues in 6months its been done well.

If the roll-out keeps this pace at over 300,000 a week we might have everyone who can/wants a vaccine to at least have one dose by September.

. . one acquaintance who declined the AZ and shortly after was offered the Pfizer . . Also, the wife of a friend of mine was offered the J&J but refused it when she got the text message calling her for the jab and was then given the Pfizer.
My intention was to decline an AZ or J&J offer, suspecting that the Pfizer would be offered instead. But I was offered the Pfizer in the first instance. Looks like it may have worked out for me in any event.

Last edited:
Both sides claiming victory in the EU-AZ court case, but while the EU technically won, the measures imposed on AZ don't seem to worry them unduly.

The court, while finding in favour of the European Commission’s demand for interim measures, ordered only that the company deliver 50 million more doses by the end of September. If the firm fails to do so it would pay a fine of €10 per dose not delivered.

All other measures sought by the European Commission have been dismissed, and in particular the Court found that the European Commission has no exclusivity or right of priority over all other contracting parties

Back