Coronavirus - latest global news - discuss Irish news the other thread

I hope this is the correct thread for this as it's the US, but I'd imagine that this along with Mercks pill will be welcomed.
Very promising results...
Interim data from trials of the treatment in 1,219 high-risk patients who had recently been infected with Covid found that 0.8% of those given Paxlovid were hospitalised compared with 7% of patients who were given a placebo or dummy pill.
They were treated within three days of Covid symptoms starting.
Seven patients given the placebo died compared to none in the group given the pill.

Reports in US show that 98.9% of hospitalisations and 99.2% of deaths are in the unvaccinated.
If you don't get the vaccine by choice you're an idiot.
Singapore agrees...

The Singapore government had always covered the medical bills of all Singaporeans and other residents in certain categories infected with the virus, except for those who tested positive soon after returning from overseas. But from 8 December, authorities will begin charging Covid-19 patients who are unvaccinated by choice, the ministry of health said yesterday.

Singapore agrees...

The Singapore government had always covered the medical bills of all Singaporeans and other residents in certain categories infected with the virus, except for those who tested positive soon after returning from overseas. But from 8 December, authorities will begin charging Covid-19 patients who are unvaccinated by choice, the ministry of health said yesterday.

Great idea!

This story has been around for a few days, and I thought it should be highlighted just for balance.

Reading it was entertaining as while the headline says one thing the story itself seems to eat away that headline.

There seems to be a growing number of " news " around vaccines and Pfizer in particular with one saying that Albert Bourla was arrested by the FBI last Friday, he was on CNBC on Friday and was in Washington to attend a summit, of course its false news.

Its amazing what some people will do and say to have 15mins of fame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo

This is something that will cause a rumble. Whether it's just or not no doubt will be debated, but the story highlights something else the rise in influence of extreme right wing views who as we know are anti vaccines.

If Austria implements this I wonder if other EU countries will consider it, or will the EU tell Austria that such a move would be a violation of basic human rights.

The virus appears not just be a medical problem but also a societal problem with ramifications that I doubt were ever considered.

It seems that Italy and Holland are thinking along the same lines as Austria..

The virus will be with us forever if people don't take it seriously. A friend of mine is just back from a break in Spain. Dublin Airport was like a cattle mart. When you went through to board the plane he was on the stairs with everyone else for about ten mins. The plane was full. People were wearing masks alright except for the ones who wanted to have a coffee cup in front of them so as not to have to wear a mask. When he got to the Spanish Airport he had to travel to the terminal in a bus with everyone else, it was packed . His travel locater form was checked. The hotel was good as regards Covid . He filled out a travel locater form for coming back and wasn't asked for it at all. Again the queues at passport control was chaotic.
We in Ireland are not doing anything much to keep the numbers down.

Another guy I was talking to was at a match in England during the week with his friend. They were the only two wearing masks. When he was going to get something to eat at half time he heard people saying 'here come the mask brigade' . No wonder it is so bad over there .

He filled out a travel locater form for coming back and wasn't asked for it at all. Again the queues at passport control was chaotic.
We in Ireland are not doing anything much to keep the numbers down.

I've been n two flights over the last few months - I had to load the locator form online when I checked in and it was checked when checking in / boarding. In that case there is no need to have it checked in Dublin because it has been provided to the authorities by the airline. If the airline didn't have a copy and it wasn't checked - then it's a problem.

You can use the automatic passport gates to keep out of the worst of the queues - both times I arrived back it took me less than a minute to go through

Auckland lockdown to end...

BARS, RESTAURANTS AND gyms can reopen in Auckland from early December as the New Zealand city emerges from a long Covid-19 lockdown.
Customers will be required to show proof they have been fully vaccinated, prime minister Jacinda Ardern said today... It also signals a new phase in New Zealand’s response to the pandemic in which people around the country will need to be fully vaccinated in order to take part in activities from getting a haircut to watching a concert...
The current outbreak appears to have stabilised, with about 200 new infections reported each day, most of them in Auckland.
About 85 New Zealanders are currently in hospital with Covid-19 and the country has reported only 40 virus deaths from a population of five million since the pandemic began.

Belgium:
With cases among children rising the most, Mr De Croo said mask mandates will apply from age six. The current requirement to wear a mask is for those aged 10 years and older.
Primary schools will shut for Christmas and New Year holidays a week earlier and secondary schools will shift to a hybrid system, with half of classes from home.
By contrast, bars and restaurants in Belgium, home to EU institutions and NATO, will still be able to open until 11pm.

Belgium:
With cases among children rising the most, Mr De Croo said mask mandates will apply from age six. The current requirement to wear a mask is for those aged 10 years and older.
Primary schools will shut for Christmas and New Year holidays a week earlier and secondary schools will shift to a hybrid system, with half of classes from home.
By contrast, bars and restaurants in Belgium, home to EU institutions and NATO, will still be able to open until 11pm.

The question is then should children be vaccinated?
The facts now are that with the majority of population's vaccinated the virus isn't going away, however the cohort that were never a cause of concern are now the concern.

I look at this the following way, the virus is non discriminatory and whilst science,/vaccines have helped in saving many, we now need to genuinely consider the effects that children are having on its persistence.

I would never advocate vaccination for children unless it was a threat on their lives.
Now the consideration is different.

These really are hard decisions for everyone.

Missed this at the time...

Pfizer has signed a deal with a UN-backed group to allow other manufacturers to make its experimental Covid-19 pill, which could make the treatment available to more than half of the world’s population...
Pfizer will not receive royalties on sales in low-income countries and will waive royalties in all countries covered by the agreement while Covid-19 remains a public health emergency.

Reactions: Leo
Back