Coronavirus - latest global news - discuss Irish news the other thread

The Russian public simply do not trust its government, and to be honest they have good reason.
Of course that distrust isn't going to save them from the virus and I fear many will continue to die.
More on grim situation in Russia...

Russia’s total excess death toll since the beginning of the pandemic until the end of August, the most recent available data , stands at 660,000 — one of the highest rates in the world both in absolute terms and on a per capita basis.

ONLY ONE IN seven Covid-19 infections in Africa is being detected, meaning the continent’s estimated infection level may be 59 million people, according to a new study by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

And yet 120m vaccines are probably in warehouses everywhere in the west....really hasn't changed.

Looks like the suffering in Russia isn't getting any easier. Russia are probably now in their long winter and with vaccine take up very low ,the figures seem only capable of going one way.

The so called superpowers aren't handling things well at all, and once winter begins to grip more of Europe we might see the figures following ,and the vaccines tested .

There is another interesting story on the BBC this morning, but its not on its website.
Italy has introduced proof of vaccine or other proof of immunity from the virus. This appears to have been introduced by employers too, and its endorsed by the unions in Italy.

Last week neo fascist groups first protested against the green card and then rioted outside one union address injuring quite a few. I think there is a political party in Italy that were involved too.

Yesterday thousands took the streets in Rome to call for all fascist organisations be banned, unlikely to happen. But what got me thinking is that the right seems to be growing due to their total objection to all things to do with the vaccines.

Even in the US it's the far right that are more vocal on the mandatory vaccination of federal employees and other " vital " workers eventhough they are anti government in everything they do.

Its interesting to think about this, ie are we going to see a further rise in far right parties due to the virus. It would be a side effect that nobody would have predicted.

Colin Powell, a man who couldn't pronounce his own name, has died of Covid at the age of 84.
The great job he did in Gulf War 1 was overshadowed by the shambolic big-budget sequel, especially in the media work he did in the lead-up, in which he spoke about plot lines which had been dropped by the time the production was released to the general public.

So, there we have it looks like the UK has yet again lost control of covid. While Government ministers say that 100k cases could happen, it most probably will.
Many health officials are also asking for specific restrictions to be reintroduced to help hospitals cope with the surge presently been seen in the UK.

We may have gone down the more cautious road in reversing restrictions but that maybe all for nothing, either new improved vaccines are found or people return to good hygiene practices we might find ourselves once again restricted.

Edit, BBC NI just used "Delta plus" to describe the expected increase in cases that the UK are seeing now. Never heard that before.

Last edited:
Rational people would not want to their bodies to become a breeding host for a progressing virulent ultra-contagious disease.

Many do not think of it in this way because they don’t or intentionally refuse to understand pandemics.

Should a population suffer because of this?

Rational people would not want to their bodies to become a breeding host for a progressing virulent ultra-contagious disease.

Many do not think of it in this way because they don’t or intentionally refuse to understand pandemics.

Should a population suffer because of this?
It's just another example of people not having or knowing what "civil duty" is , The Second WW killed about 80,000 civilians in Britain but they generally held together, Covid could kill double that and nobody seems to care.

BBC breakfast has just said that not only does England have a plan B but also have plan C,D,E,F but the Government isn't talking about it, eventhough some UK newspapers are mentioning this and have sources apparently.

Things must be serious the BBC have the 2 experts they had on daily for the first 6 months giving advice, both are PhDs .

One has said that 5 million people in England aren't vaccinated and the other cited a study of 350,000 in Bangladesh that showed that mask wearing does prevent spread of the virus.

Of course they also spoke about the unknowns that litter the present increase in infectious and hospitalisations, its very much like all other breakouts over the past 2 years and the weather outside matches too.

Here we go, BBC news this morning for the first time in months are showing cases and deaths on its banner headlines.

The UK government also seem to be going " all in " in trying to get people to get vaccinated with all over 50s and under 16s being able to book online an appointment to have either the booster or getting jabbed for the first time. We're getting a mention too.

I like a flutter, at good odds and the horse having 4 legs , but the horse is now known as "restrictions and high infection " is 10/1 on and doesn't have any competition.

I think I'll get the Christmas shopping done over the weekend.

Looks like we might be dealing with Covid-19 for sometime as I can't see a global population complying with the measures that are needed. Nor can I see the poorer countries getting sufficient supplies of vaccines in order to suppress further spread of any new variants that will come.

And Russia is now recording a thousand deaths a day, with only 36% of its population vaccinated.

100 years after the last major pandemic and nothing has changed on how to manage this one despite the greatest technological advances in the history of humanity.

This a good summary/wrap up of where our European neighbours are with Covid.

It would appear vaccine hesitancy is very much allowing cases and by extension hospitalisation to increase. It appears that its countries that were the old Soviet Bloc where hesitancy is highest which is puzzling as it's a generation since those countries became independent.

I know a few people from Croatia and other countries and the deep untrusting of anything to do with Government is very real even people who are under 30.

We are on the other hand the " most resilient " country in the world according to Bloomberg and yet we are seeing more in hospital and ICU , there seems to be factors that either aren't known or the unvaccinated are more infectious than before and vaccine efficacy is dropping more than thought.

But there is a slew of studies saying that the vaccines are still working well.?

Back