Coronavirus - latest global news - discuss Irish news the other thread

The lockdown severity score is quite interesting, dispelling the myth that we have the toughest measures in the world.
The Zero Covid countries ranking very badly. As are those with a large proportion of anti-vaxer's

Let's hope people don't think that we are fully protected because they reality is different.
I can still see some restrictions being reintroduced over the coming few months, and the decision/ resources on boosters for younger vulnerable people will need speeding up.

I actually watched this earlier today waited until it was posted up. If the predictions made are half correct expect us to also have a very long winter.
I am vaccinated for the flu, I would really like to know if the flu cases identified so far here and in UK and for one of the strains in the vaccine, but this info seems hard to come by.
If the flu hits hard with a strain not in the vaccine, together with covid, it will be a tough winter.

I am vaccinated for the flu, I would really like to know if the flu cases identified so far here and in UK and for one of the strains in the vaccine, but this info seems hard to come by.
If the flu hits hard with a strain not in the vaccine, together with covid, it will be a tough winter.
I thought the health reporter for the BBC said after the interview this morning that they don't know what strain the flu is. He went on to say that if it's an aggressive type it's really going to be tough.

I thought the health reporter for the BBC said after the interview this morning that they don't know what strain the flu is. He went on to say that if it's an aggressive type it's really going to be tough.
Ah Jasus, are we going to start locking down for the Flu now as well?!

Ah Jasus, are we going to start locking down for the Flu now as well?!
I think it's a capacity issue for hospitals. The UK is " running hot" with Covid-19 admissions and the worry is flu will add to it, I believe they said that there were flu admissions already with 2 in ICU.

I think it's a capacity issue for hospitals. The UK is " running hot" with Covid-19 admissions and the worry is flu will add to it, I believe they said that there were flu admissions already with 2 in ICU.
I sometimes wonder what it would take, just how many people would have to die, for the 'heroes' in the health service to embrace reform and modern work practices and stop the staggering waste. What I do know is that we haven't reached that level yet.

I sometimes wonder what it would take, just how many people would have to die, for the 'heroes' in the health service to embrace reform and modern work practices and stop the staggering waste. What I do know is that we haven't reached that level yet.
Problem Purple is that most are lifers, and I'm not talking about front line, but managers etc. My wifes sister is in Cork wanted to change a few things in her area, but was told no no no no by her immediate manager and then the harassment began, she was out of work for 6 months and I can tell you was really sick.

Her boss in the system 45yrs only job was in Southern Health Board, son of a politician, a well known one and despised by everyone but still in the job.

And Shes not alone shes taking a case and has spoken to at least 10 others who simply gave up and are now in the private sector.

And apparently this sort of behaviour is rampant and the unions do nothing because they are as guilty as the HSE.

'ICU beds are running out again': Germany hit by 'massive' pandemic of unvaccinated

The country added 20,398 cases over the past 24 hours, according to the Robert Koch health institute, while another 194 people died... The number of Covid patients in intensive care today climbed to 2,226, up almost 26% on the previous week to reach the highest level since early June... More than 66% of the population is fully vaccinated, but a recent survey showed that the vast majority of Germany’s still unvaccinated adults have no intention of getting inoculated against Covid.

There were lots of headlines like this one last year about how much better female led countries were doing in relation to Covid. I haven't seen the updated stories about how it turns out that they really didn't do that much better.

UK approve antiviral pill for home treatment for people at high risk of severe covid.
This is just going to allow more non vaccination, the problem here is that will the same rigour be applied to the vaccine rollout?

This will need in " population " reviews too but I wonder if that will happen?

Don't get me wrong, everything that helps is welcome but I can see this being hailed as an alternative, a full year after the first vaccine was released.....

Moderna missed every key deliverable today too, and we are in the first 20 minutes of the game.

There were lots of headlines like this one last year about how much better female led countries were doing in relation to Covid. I haven't seen the updated stories about how it turns out that they really didn't do that much better.
Now Now.......I wouldn't agree though NZ locked itself away, Germany no different to the rest of Europe, ourselves " hell in a basket ". A few other countries run by women isn't jumping into my brain....

Now Now.......I wouldn't agree though NZ locked itself away, Germany no different to the rest of Europe, ourselves " hell in a basket ". A few other countries run by women isn't jumping into my brain....
The initial sexist framing of the article hasn't been corrected. I'm not surprised.

The initial sexist framing of the article hasn't been corrected. I'm not surprised.
The financial media were widely talking about the bank of England governor being an "unreliable boyfriend" for not raising interest rates as expected by the markets yesterday, they also used the slur with regard to Jerome Powell in the U.S..
No danger of them referring to Christine Lagarde as an "unreliable girlfriend" though, maybe all central bank governors should be women so

Back