Buying a diesel car nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.
"SIMI said that Petrol accounted for 30.2% of new car registrations, Diesel 26.8%, Hybrid 19.3%, Electric 14.9%, and Plug-In Hybrid 6.8%.
I'm surprised it's this low...I would have thought plug-in hybrids would be the current sweet spot for those in urban areas with range anxiety

I bought a new diesel car years ago which I am planning to keep for another 5 years. Hopefully we settle the debate by than.

Personally, I put Green & Vegan in same category as novelty notions with some benefits but even bigger marketing spin around it. The biggest element in carbon footprint is production of new car. If EV encourages people to dump cars just because they are diesel and buy a new one, it's hardly beneficial for the environment. Therefore the best thing anyone could do is not to waste food and buy car every few years just because they can afford.

I was under the impression that particular myth has long been dispelled: https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/electric-vehicle-myths#Myth2
Unless your driving your car very little miles every year - an EV is much better from an emissions standpoint.
This myth buster compares production + lifetime carbon footprint of EV versus ICE car. While agreeing to the benefits of EV, I am pointing to marketing spin (including articles like this) that is encouraging everyone to sell thier existing diesel/ petrol cars and buy a new EV. There is plenty of evidence that the best way to save environment is to use your car longer (petrol, diesel or EV) than buying a new one every few years. I see a lot of EV cars in estate which have replaced the 3-4 old cars because they want to reduce thier carbob footprint.
https://studyfinds.org/keeping-old-cars-help-environment-more-than-new-electric-cars/

Ireland stands second (after Austria) with shortest life span of car with average age of 8.6 years, while EU average is 11.8. The production of a new medium size car adds 17tons of CO2 to environment which is equivalent to three years worth of electricity and gas at average home. In my opinion, for an average punter, the best way to save environment is to keep existing car longer. I don't see any awareness campaign from media, mythbusters or government on encouraging it. On contrary, they are encouraging to buy new EV cars to get more tax.

Ireland stands second (after Austria) with shortest life span of car with average age of 8.6 years, while EU average is 11.8.
I think this is a misrepresentation of the situation.

According to cartell.ie
The average age of a private car in Ireland, both native and imported, is now 8.8 years. The average age of an imported car in Ireland stands at 9.4 years. An indigenous Irish vehicle’s average age is currently 8.6 years. So while levels of car ownership have increased in Ireland so too has the length of time that people are holding onto their cars.

This suggests to me that the lifetime of an average Irish car is double the average age, because to arrive at an average age of around 9 years, every brand new car will need to be matched by an old car circa 18 years old. So the average lifetime will be around 18 years.

If there are actually a lot of 9 year old cars being scrapped, let me know and I'll buy one of them.

Tesla itself is now in bother and its share price is down 70% this year,
Tesla's share price largely reflected hype over substance. It made little sense that what was effectively a low volume startup was worth more than most of the rest of the market combined.

FYI, this is the average age of all cars still on the road that are flagged as imports rather than the age they were at import.

According to cartell.ie
The average age of a private car in Ireland, both native and imported, is now 8.8 years. The average age of an imported car in Ireland stands at 9.4 years. An indigenous Irish vehicle’s average age is currently 8.6 years.
All circa 9 years.

When someone trading in a 3-year old car for an EV, that 3-year old car does not get scrapped.
Yes, it doesn't but overall if the whole market is skewed towards getting rid of thier car earlier (1st hand, 2nd hand and so on) that would ultimately lead to cars getting to scrappage earlier. Sources for average age of cars on the road in EU
https://www.aut.fi/en/statistics/in...e_age_of_passenger_cars_in_european_countries
https://www.statista.com/statistics/974713/passenger-car-average-age-europe/

As the OP I decided to buy a hybrid petrol.

As a single car household, we went with the petrol/hybrid two years ago. For all the analysis we did, it would have been the best of both worlds. In fact, its the worst of both worlds. Definitely regret not getting the EV. In the market for a second car now and will likely go for an older leaf/ioniq.

As the OP I decided to buy a hybrid petrol.

Congrats - mind me asking what car you bought, and what influenced the decision, regarding make?

As a single car household, we went with the petrol/hybrid two years ago. For all the analysis we did, it would have been the best of both worlds. In fact, its the worst of both worlds. Definitely regret not getting the EV. In the market for a second car now and will likely go for an older leaf/ioniq.

Why, what's the issue with the hybrid? As things stand, I think I'd be opting for a petrol-battery hybrid, were I in the market, tomorrow.

Congrats - mind me asking what car you bought, and what influenced the decision, regarding make?

Why, what's the issue with the hybrid? As things stand, I think I'd be opting for a petrol-battery hybrid, were I in the market, tomorrow.
Poor electric range and all the downsides / maintenance of owning an ice car , they are a gimmick really.

Poor electric range and all the downsides / maintenance of owning an ice car , they are a gimmick really.
Add in also a lot of extra complex equipment and electronics to control switching between electric and petrol drive. I would not have confidence in a mechanic being able to diganose and repair this type of equipment in an efficient and economical manner.

Last edited:
I was talking to someone in the tyre business over Christmas and he mentioned that electric vehicle tyres are quite expensive in comparison to ICE tyres. For those who have electric vehicles did you see an increase in the price for new tyre's when replacing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back