Buying a diesel car nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roro999

Are many people I wonder still buying new diesel cars or are people turning they're backs on buying new ? Most car manufacturers seem to be phasing them out. I'm in the market to replace my diesel car but am wondering am I mad to buy a new diesel

Is the new diesel car priced competitively compared to hybrids or petrol , and can you get one quickly ? I thought the supply of new cars was still very constrained due to covid and now the Ukraine war hitting component manufacturing ?

I would have to investigate how it's priced versus hybrids or petrol. Sorry, by new I mean upgrading to a car post 2020 from a 161 and not span new.

But I guess question still applies are people shying away from diesels nowadays ?

Given the way the market is going, and the way that the current "Green" Government is likely to push it, I wouldn't even consider a diesel car, tbh.

If I were to buy tomorrow, I'd most likely look for a Hybrid (petrol and battery) model, as that still gives me a good level of security regarding easy refuel etc.

Will diesel cars have a problem with range in a few years? As the demand drops, will petrol stations stop offering diesel?

This will happen gradually, but I am not sure when.

The motorways will probably be ok given that they have so many pumps in the large service areas.

And maybe the rural areas will be ok, as I assume most tractors are diesel. But do farmers have their own diesel tanks?

Brendan

My wife and I are looking at options of changing one of our two diesel cars this year comming . Not one of the garages we have been to have recommended, a petrol or electric car for our driving it was all diesel accross all companies with the exception of Toyota . Hyundai are bringing out a new diesel engine for 2025 and is in the making.We will have a mix of electrical, petrol and diesel cars going forward for all types of driving.Diesel will be required for busses and trucks so it's going no where soon .

Will diesel cars have a problem with range in a few years? As the demand drops, will petrol stations stop offering diesel?

This will happen gradually, but I am not sure when.

The motorways will probably be ok given that they have so many pumps in the large service areas.

And maybe the rural areas will be ok, as I assume most tractors are diesel. But do farmers have their own diesel tanks?

Brendan
Doubt it as diesel will still be needed for commercial vehicles, vans and trucks and they are not going electric (well marginally at best). I think you would be ok with a relatively small diesel car but not an SUV as that seems to be the next target of the greens however they are powered due to their size in cities , on roads and parking spaces

Are many people I wonder still buying new diesel cars or are people turning they're backs on buying new ?
When I come to replace my 5 year old diesel, probably in 5 years time, I expect I'll buy another new diesel.

Unlikely as there's no substitute (yet) for diesel for HGVs, agricultural and most other machinery.

I checked the CSO numbers and in the first 10 months if 2022 a full 27% of new vehicles licensed were diesel only. People clearly anticipate there will still be a secondary market for diesel cars in the 2030s.

Electric cars are as bad on the environment as diesel. The battery productive and disposal are disgraceful but the environmentalists and greens will never admit to that.

Diesel cars here and I don't see purchasing habits changing anytime soon tbh

Electric cars are as bad on the environment as diesel. The battery productive and disposal are disgraceful but the environmentalists and greens will never admit to that.
They won’t admit to it because it has been proven to be incorrect time and time again by the worlds’ scientific community. Example white paper on the subject: https://theicct.org/publication/a-g...ombustion-engine-and-electric-passenger-cars/. If you have other data from reputable sources by all means post it.

Diesel cars here and I don't see purchasing habits changing anytime soon tbh
7 years from Saturday will be your last opportunity to purchase a new diesel car, I’m sure you’ll be able to buy secondhand for at least 10 years beyond that, whether you’ll be allowed take it into an urban area remains to be seen.

Having said that it wouldn’t worry me too much buying a diesel today in-terms of access to fuel and resale value, five years from now I’d be much more cautious.

I intend to buy a nearly new diesel just before they become illegal and will continue to drive it until I’m 6 feet under. I’ve no intention of standing around waiting on my car to recharge to make it from A to B.

I have no faith in the longevity of a car battery. I have heard enough scare stories to put me off. Also the fact that the electricity used to power them is mostly based on fossil fuel makes the whole thing a nonsense. I’m also not buying Solar panels as they are gone too expensive. Based on my experience with phone and laptop lithium batteries they don’t age well. If they can’t get them right for a small item like a phone then how long will they remain efficient in a car without needing to be replaced ?

I have no faith in the longevity of a car battery.
I buy older cars (6-8 years old) so the thoughts of having to replace the battery costing several thousand would put me right off. Which begs the question, will electric cars depreciate heavily in their latter years as their batteries come close to replacing?

I’m also not buying Solar panels as they are gone too expensive.
I was actually thinking of buying a few solar panels and diverting all the electricity generated into the national grid, to offset my emissions from my petrol/diesel

Firefly if you have the spare cash to do something like that then fair play. Most don’t. Solar is gone too expensive to install. I probably should have done it years ago but won’t now.

As I said before Toyota were the only company not to recommend a diesel ...no longer making a diesel.But what's the thinking of the Yaris cross 1.5 petrol with a power train electric motor and 3 cylinder petrol engine with 15 years guarantee on ..it boosts 50++ mpg .Has anyone experience of this ...feed back appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back