Buying a diesel car nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before Toyota were the only company not to recommend a diesel ...no longer making a diesel.But what's the thinking of the Yaris cross 1.5 petrol with a power train electric motor and 3 cylinder petrol engine with 15 years guarantee on ..it boosts 50++ mpg .Has anyone experience of this ...feed back appreciated.
I don't think 'company' is the word you should use. The recommendations are from individual dealers. Some will recommend what suits them rather than you.

The car industry are struggling to source enough batteries to fit to their new cars. I doubt if it will be possible to buy a new battery in 10 years time unless it comes fitted into a new car. As for recycling old batteries, that is not being planned for.

Diesel will be around for a while yet.

Petrol doesn't work for anything above a small van, as much as Eamon Ryan won't admit it diesel medium to heavy goods vehicles are the back bone of the transport system.

So the car driver will be ok to get fuel for a while.

They will likely be taxed out of making sense though.

As I said before Toyota were the only company not to recommend a diesel ....
The car sales people have a conflict of interest - almost all car manufacturers have diesel cars already made, that the need to sell; or factories kitted out to manufacture diesel cars, so they want to keep selling those vehicles for as long as they can, before they are compelled to re-tool or close those factories.

The car sales people have a conflict of interest - almost all car manufacturers have diesel cars already made, that the need to sell; or factories kitted out to manufacture diesel cars, so they want to keep selling those vehicles for as long as they can, before they are compelled to re-tool or close those factories.
But technology changes are driven by investment and private capital rarely by government . The car and oil industries and all the associated technology came from private industry. I doubt a government mandated technology change is actually going to happen because governments do not control the technologies. Therefore if the car industry and energy industries do not have the electric cars , electric grid and clean energy all ready to go in 2030 its just not going to happen.
The Ukraine war (destruction of car component manufacturing facilities) and the covid factory disruptions have also put a huge spanner in this 2030 timeline

It’s EU law.
I think the EU effective ban is due to come into force in 2035. I expect that we will push out our 2030 aspirations to 2035. Methinks the rules are designed to eliminate the sale of all new fossil fuel cars, so both diesel and petrol.

I intend to buy a nearly new diesel just before they become illegal and will continue to drive it until I’m 6 feet under. I’ve no intention of standing around waiting on my car to recharge to make it from A to B.

I have no faith in the longevity of a car battery. I have heard enough scare stories to put me off. Also the fact that the electricity used to power them is mostly based on fossil fuel makes the whole thing a nonsense. I’m also not buying Solar panels as they are gone too expensive. Based on my experience with phone and laptop lithium batteries they don’t age well. If they can’t get them right for a small item like a phone then how long will they remain efficient in a car without needing to be replaced ?

You're a not very well informed and sound like a dinosaur. Modern EV can go over 350km in one go. We live a small country perfectly set up for them. Most people charge at home overnight. Also I'd estimate approx 95%+ of journeys for the overwhelming majority of people are below 150km daily. Even if you're doing a long journey, there are DC chargers that can give hundreds of km in a matter of minutes.

The battery longevity is non issue, there are Tesla's with hundreds of thousands of km on them. Not to mention LFP batteries that have capacity for multiples more charge cycles. Newer battery cells will also blow this out of the water.

Comparing laptop batteries to EVs is comical and shoes how misinformed you are.

In terms of electricity source, that's a function of the grid, it is however getting "greener" each year. Fact is, it's possible to run a EV in purely renewable manner, it's impossible to do this for diesel and petrol vehicles.

But technology changes are driven by investment and private capital rarely by government . The car and oil industries and all the associated technology came from private industry....
Yes, in an open market, but that's not what we're dealing with here - various countries legislating against fossil fuels etc.

Not wanting to upset you, or anyone else reading this, but we've a global warming issue to deal with, and it ain't going away, so the motor industry (and other industries) will be forced into line, over time.

For what its worth I have no problem with the ban on sale of new diesel cars and SUVs after 2030 but petrol is a different story. I very much doubt the technology for full electric will be up and running by 2030, therefore I foresee the continued sale of new petrol and petrol hybrids well after 2030 due to where the car industry will be at in 2030. Maybe the car industry and consumers needs to be prodded back in the direction of smaller cars in general and away from SUVs. Many of the small cars today are now larger than the family saloons from the 1990s which is obvious when you still see an odd one on the roads today

You're a not very well informed and sound like a dinosaur. Modern EV can go over 350km in one go. We live a small country perfectly set up for them. Most people charge at home overnight. Also I'd estimate approx 95%+ of journeys for the overwhelming majority of people are below 150km daily. Even if you're doing a long journey, there are DC chargers that can give hundreds of km in a matter of minutes.

The battery longevity is non issue, there are Tesla's with hundreds of thousands of km on them. Not to mention LFP batteries that have capacity for multiples more charge cycles. Newer battery cells will also blow this out of the water.

Comparing laptop batteries to EVs is comical and shoes how misinformed you are.

In terms of electricity source, that's a function of the grid, it is however getting "greener" each year. Fact is, it's possible to run a EV in purely renewable manner, it's impossible to do this for diesel and petrol vehicles.
I saw on the NEWS they where queuing on the garage filling station to charge up, plus the number of charging points is limited to the supply line to the total area

I’m not standing my dinosaur bones for an hour in the rain and cold midway through my journey waiting for my car to charge. I’m in a rural location and charging points are very few and far between. I’m not paying for an expensive install at home to use fossil fuel derived electricity. That would just be daft. I’ve just heard of an EV going on fire in a friends driveway. Tricky to put out apparently plus the cost of the fire brigade. Not nice during Christmas hols. The car is written off and lucky house didn’t catch fire into the bargain. I’ll stick with the tried and trusted. Leave the virtue signalling to the young and foolish. Plenty of them about. I’m sure TSLA will recover in time.

Diesel cars here and I don't see purchasing habits changing anytime soon tbh
It's only 7 years since diesels made up 71% of new car sales here, that share has been dropping since and the numbers available for 2022 so far show only 27% were diesel.

I intend to buy a nearly new diesel just before they become illegal and will continue to drive it until I’m 6 feet under. I’ve no intention of standing around waiting on my car to recharge to make it from A to B.

I have no faith in the longevity of a car battery. I have heard enough scare stories to put me off. Also the fact that the electricity used to power them is mostly based on fossil fuel makes the whole thing a nonsense. I’m also not buying Solar panels as they are gone too expensive. Based on my experience with phone and laptop lithium batteries they don’t age well. If they can’t get them right for a small item like a phone then how long will they remain efficient in a car without needing to be replaced ?
you had managed to fit an awful lot of misinformation in one post, bravo.

I am very surprised that non of the car manufacturers have produced a diesel electric hybrid.
Best of both worlds, no range anxiety and greenish.

you had managed to fit an awful lot of misinformation in one post, bravo.
Care to elaborate?

There are only 2 claims of fact made in the post
  • the electricity used to power (electric vehicles) is mostly based on fossil fuel.
  • the batteries don't age well.

Care to elaborate?

There are only 2 claims of fact made in the post
  • the electricity used to power (electric vehicles) is mostly based on fossil fuel.
  • the batteries don't age well.
not really, its the standard misinformed stuff around standing around to charge trying to get from A to B, worries about the longevity of car batteries etc. The most vocal anti EV posts come from people with zero experience of them, then peppered with stories about cars they heard that caught fire or someone was waiting 11 hours to charge somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back