20 cigarettes up 50cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it’s thyroid problem.

Thyroid problems could solve world hunger. It seems you can eat a healthy diet and get loads of exercise but still be 70kg overweight if you’ve a thyroid problem.
I'm one (Graeves Disease) and no it doesn't quite work like that, I don't put on weight at all but have a cholesterol number over twice the norm and this despite a strict diet. It's a horrible illness and whilst controllable, I am on 4 different medications daily to control side affects which include high blood pressure, Cholesterol, increased heart rate .

JPS do a 34 pack, it was 35 until a month ago, reduced to 34 and price the same, they've done this on 30 packet, reduced to 29, now 27 and price the same. Other brands do 30 packs, pall mall etc.
Thanks for that, thought it was a joke. Never heard of that in my life, need to get out more. Seems so long ago now since we used to get the non boarders to buy I cigarette at a time for us. People now say they were the good old days, were they fcek! :oops: Young lads and girls think they have it rough these days? God love the little darlings.

It seems you can eat a healthy diet and get loads of exercise but still be 70kg overweight if you’ve a thyroid problem.

There no "it seems" about it - that's exactly what can happen with thyroid dysfunction. Ask any endocrinologist.

Thanks for that, thought it was a joke. Never heard of that in my life, need to get out more. Seems so long ago now since we used to get the non boarders to buy I cigarette at a time for us. People now say they were the good old days, were they fcek! :oops: Young lads and girls think they have it rough these days? God love the little darlings.
Lol, no stay were you are, its a mad world out there

Seems so long ago now since we used to get the non boarders to buy I cigarette at a time for us.
I started smoking at thirteen (41 years ago) I used to hear stories that the shops used to sell a single cigarette and a match
For me you had to buy a pack of ten and IIRC a pack Benson & hedges was about 30 pence back then

I'm off to Spain at the end of the month for the winter but will be back for Christmas and there will be more than a couple of cartons in the suitcase that will be with me ;)

There no "it seems" about it - that's exactly what can happen with thyroid dysfunction. Ask any endocrinologist.
It very much depends, Hypo or Hyperthyroidism two very different things , I'm on the Hyperthyroidism side and near impossible to put on wait, however cholesterol levels through the roof, one of numerous side effects of the particular disease I have

I started smoking at thirteen (41 years ago) I used to hear stories that the shops used to sell a single cigarette and a match
For me you had to buy a pack of ten and IIRC a pack Benson & hedges was about 30 pence back then

I'm off to Spain at the end of the month for the winter but will be back for Christmas and there will be more than a couple of cartons in the suitcase that will be with me ;)
Enjoy , and I'm ashamed to admit I used to purchase those single cigs in my local newsagents

When I was 16 / 17 in the 1970’s I was in 5th & 6th year secondary school, there was a designated smoking area in the school grounds where 5th & 6th year pupils could smoke at break times. Unbelievable in today's world.

The local shop sold single cigarettes, Gold Bond and Broad Leaf were, I think 2p each, Carrolls, Major and Rothmans (Like the pilots smoked) were probably 3p each.

I used to spend my bus fare on cigarettes and walk to school, very believable for a 16 year old.

Gave them up a long time ago now.

You reckon that "It seems you can eat a healthy diet and get loads of exercise but still be 70kg overweight if you’ve a thyroid problem."

And you can. Not everyone - some people with hypothyroidism never gain weight. But some do.

As your Google search shows, and indeed as you quoted: ""

Rarely does not mean never and it certainly isn't as rare as we imagine.

If someone is 70kg overweight it may well be because they gained a few kilos from hypothyroidism and then their lifestyle/genes/medication did the rest.

You are wrong if you think it is all down to diet, exercise, and making excuses. The science is very clear, you are just repeating misinformation.

Life is short, biology is complicated, pious snarking is not good for anyone. And this is a thread about tax on cigarettes.

@arbitron , yes, this is a thread about taxes and cigarettes so let's agree to disagree on the weight gain thing. It's something that I know quite a bit about but we are straying into medical issues.

If we are taxing cigarettes because they are unhealthy why have we only got token taxes on things that are also very unhealthy and cost the State far more in net terms? Where's the meaningful sugar tax?

When I was 16 / 17 in the 1970’s I was in 5th & 6th year secondary school, there was a designated smoking area in the school grounds where 5th & 6th year pupils could smoke at break times. Unbelievable in today's world.

The local shop sold single cigarettes, Gold Bond and Broad Leaf were, I think 2p each, Carrolls, Major and Rothmans (Like the pilots smoked) were probably 3p each.

I used to spend my bus fare on cigarettes and walk to school, very believable for a 16 year old.

Gave them up a long time ago now.
Happy times but not a clue the damage that was being done.
Myself and a friend used to roll old holborn sell them at break, if we ran out of papers we used the Gideon Bible pages as a substitute, great marketing move.

But it would be interesting to see the figure for tax revenue that tobacco raises, it can't be huge, I think the increases now is to try and get people not to start.

A tobacco survey from 2019...commissioned by Revenue and the National Tobacco Control Office (never heard of it)...state:

15% of cigarette packets are illegal
9% are legal but non Irish duty paid

Suggests that 3/4 packs have duty paid on them in Ireland.
I doubt that is correct, it's in their interests to understate the black market cigarette market because if they counted it fully they would undermine the whole rationale for having extremely high tobacco taxes.
Now with duty free cigarettes available just from a trip to the UK the black market is about to get much bigger. A pack of 200 from UK airport duty free works out at between 5 and 6 pounds a pack now. It hasn't been noticed yet due to the covid travel restrictions since brexit

But it would be interesting to see the figure for tax revenue that tobacco raises, it can't be huge, I think the increases now is to try and get people not to start.
See page 23 of this paper by the Tax Strategy Group

Table 2: Tobacco Products Tax Yield [excise & VAT] from 2005 to 2021

YearCigarettesOther Tobacco ProductsTotal
€1,054m​
€26m​
€1,080m​
€1,071m​
€32m​
€1,103m​
2007*
€1,155m​
€37m​
€1,192m​
2008*
€1,132m​
€40m​
€1,171m​
2009*
€1,155m​
€61m​
€1,217m​
€1,101m​
€59m​
€1,160m​
€1,057m​
€69m​
€1,126m​
2012*
€990m​
€83m​
€1072m​
2013*
€955m​
€109m​
€1064m​
2014*
€881m​
€102m​
€984m​
2015*
€938m​
€145m​
€1082m​
2016*
€973m​
€124m​
€1098m​
2017*
€1241m​
€156m​
€1397m​
2018*
€646m​
€103m​
€749m​
2019*
€1011m​
€125m​
€1136m​
2020*
€1040m​
€161m​
€1201m​
2021*#
€1092m​
€170m​
€1262m​

*Rate Change

#2021 figures are current Revenue forecasts.

The main driver for excises increases is health.

“The Revenue Commissioners have expressed a view that increases in excise may not lead to increased yields, as higher cigarette prices in Ireland could reduce demand due to greater incentives to purchase non-Irish duty paid tobacco products as well as to substitute to other products, such as e-cigarettes. Therefore, the above yield projections could be significantly affected by demand elasticity.”

The paper also mentions that according to the latest survey (2019) by IPSOS MRBI, carried out on behalf of Revenue, 24m packs of cigarettes consumed in the State were illicit. This equates to an exchequer loss of circa 242m.

This does not include non-Irish duty paid tobacco products, which is reckoned to be 8-9%. Though I suspect that figure is too low.

I would like to see an equivalent report on the cost savings to the health service consequent to the smoking ban & increased excise duties.

See page 23 of this paper by the Tax Strategy Group

Table 2: Tobacco Products Tax Yield [excise & VAT] from 2005 to 2021

YearCigarettesOther Tobacco ProductsTotal
€1,054m​
€26m​
€1,080m​
€1,071m​
€32m​
€1,103m​
2007*
€1,155m​
€37m​
€1,192m​
2008*
€1,132m​
€40m​
€1,171m​
2009*
€1,155m​
€61m​
€1,217m​
€1,101m​
€59m​
€1,160m​
€1,057m​
€69m​
€1,126m​
2012*
€990m​
€83m​
€1072m​
2013*
€955m​
€109m​
€1064m​
2014*
€881m​
€102m​
€984m​
2015*
€938m​
€145m​
€1082m​
2016*
€973m​
€124m​
€1098m​
2017*
€1241m​
€156m​
€1397m​
2018*
€646m​
€103m​
€749m​
2019*
€1011m​
€125m​
€1136m​
2020*
€1040m​
€161m​
€1201m​
2021*#
€1092m​
€170m​
€1262m​

*Rate Change

#2021 figures are current Revenue forecasts.

The main driver for excises increases is health.

“The Revenue Commissioners have expressed a view that increases in excise may not lead to increased yields, as higher cigarette prices in Ireland could reduce demand due to greater incentives to purchase non-Irish duty paid tobacco products as well as to substitute to other products, such as e-cigarettes. Therefore, the above yield projections could be significantly affected by demand elasticity.”

The paper also mentions that according to the latest survey (2019) by IPSOS MRBI, carried out on behalf of Revenue, 24m packs of cigarettes consumed in the State were illicit. This equates to an exchequer loss of circa 242m.

This does not include non-Irish duty paid tobacco products, which is reckoned to be 8-9%. Though I suspect that figure is too low.
That's a lot more that I would have imagined by a long way, I thought younger people weren't smoking as much as we did.

I would like to see an equivalent report on the cost savings to the health service consequent to the smoking ban & increased excise duties.
Well I admire the questioning thought, but I doubt very much that data has never been looked at , afterall this is the HSE who really don't understand analysis of any kind and I doubt they ever will.

I'm not sure whether it is people taking up smoking or existing smokers paying more.

As to the health data, I can only find reports detailing smoking habits, but nothing on how governmental strategies have impacted the health service.

The benefits of giving up/not starting are widely commended, so then surely there must be some evidence of savings, otherwise what's it all for?

Last edited:
Well I admire the questioning thought, but I doubt very much that data has never been looked at , afterall this is the HSE who really don't understand analysis of any kind and I doubt they ever will.
I just don't get that. It is one of my pet irritants; not just in the HSE.

Analysis, costing, planning, innovation, etc., depend on appropriate reliable data.

"I'd say" or "In my opinion" of itself, is worthless unless it is proved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back