20 cigarettes up 50cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The availability of eCigarettes and vaping is so widespread now that it can’t be along before countries start looking at banning tobacco product like cigarettes. If you step back, it’s odd that such a highly addictive poisonous substance is legally available in the corner shop.

Realistically, does anybody here believe that we'll see a day when nobody lights up a cigarette? If you do, when do you think it'll happen?
Tomorrow. Read again tomorrow and you'll better understand my answer

I know someone who whinges and whines because they can't afford a holiday in the sun.....but smokes 20+ cigarettes a day. About €5500 a year in cost. Her daughter would love to go to University but the mother has no money to send her.
Don't forget the coffee :cool:

I don't know how they can afford it and I really don't know how that nonsense it's cheaper to eat processed food than fresh food gets any traction.
It's more evidence of the "instant gratification" thing. Stick the box/packet/bag in the oven or microwave for 5 to 20 mins and bingo, tear into it, no prep and only packaging to dispose of and maybe some cutlery to wash. No long and tiresome prep, 2 to 3 hrs cooking, and massive washup and drying. Collapse in the sofa with insta-grub or after it and get on with real life, e.g. X Factor, Coronation St, Love Island.

The illegal drugs win out for the same reason. Drinking enough to get any kind of "buzz" takes time. Drink with benzos or other CNS depressants and you're flying sooner; take heroin, skunk, cocaine, crack and you're off to the races quicker and may still be able to "enjoy" a drink.

Are grossly obese health care staff (non-medics) a thing or is it just me that notices them?

It's more evidence of the "instant gratification" thing. Stick the box/packet/bag in the oven or microwave for 5 to 20 mins and bingo, tear into it, no prep and only packaging to dispose of and maybe some cutlery to wash. No long and tiresome prep, 2 to 3 hrs cooking, and massive washup and drying. Collapse in the sofa with insta-grub or after it and get on with real life, e.g. X Factor, Coronation St, Love Island.

The illegal drugs win out for the same reason. Drinking enough to get any kind of "buzz" takes time. Drink with benzos or other CNS depressants and you're flying sooner; take heroin, skunk, cocaine, crack and you're off to the races quicker and may still be able to "enjoy" a drink.
I'd love to disagree with you but I can't.
Are grossly obese health care staff (non-medics) a thing or is it just me that notices them?
I've noticed it too.

I know a really over weight GP that chain smokes. Not the person you'd go to for health advice.

Have to admit I'm a smoker and have tried everything. Just an observation I've made, I buy the 30/ 34 packs.

Firstly a certain brand are infamous for reducing pack content whilst not reducing price, a month ago they reduced a 35 pack to 34 , this not the first time on other pack sizes.

The budget, presumably increases a pack of 20 × €0.50 cent and I always understood increase whilst immediate is not intended to affect current / old stock, its applicable to new stock (open to correction), I mentioned this as my local shop had prices increased the next morning and I know they don't restock until Fridays.

But more intriguing they and other outlets have actually increased the now 34 pack by a full €1 , that can't be right or is it. Might seem trivial for non smokers, but just thought I would mention this, it seems more like gouging on top of the tax increase.

Let’s say everyone gave up smoking, fast foods, alcohol, sugary drinks & driving what would be the “old reliables” for tax hikes in the budget?

A tobacco survey from 2019...commissioned by Revenue and the National Tobacco Control Office (never heard of it)...state:

15% of cigarette packets are illegal
9% are legal but non Irish duty paid

Suggests that 3/4 packs have duty paid on them in Ireland.
I suspect that will rise greatly now that duty free is available between Ireland and Britain including the ferries - anyone for a day trip to Holyhead? or a cheap €20 return to Manchester?

I go to Britain 4/5 times a year, herself is a smoker, so I'll pick up a carton on each trip (might try and sneak another carton too). I suspect a huge number of others will do the same thing

Let’s say everyone gave up smoking, fast foods, alcohol, sugary drinks & driving what would be the “old reliables” for tax hikes in the budget?
We’d need billions less for Health, though giving their track record they’d just spend it anyway and we’d still have waiting lists and rubbish services.
We’d also have to increase the retirement age to about 75!

I thought smoking suppressed appetite... I have a pet theory its one of the reasons for rise in BMIs
No it’s thyroid problem.

Thyroid problems could solve world hunger. It seems you can eat a healthy diet and get loads of exercise but still be 70kg overweight if you’ve a thyroid problem.

We’d need billions less for Health, though giving their track record they’d just spend it anyway and we’d still have waiting lists and rubbish services.
We’d also have to increase the retirement age to about 75!

Yes older retirement and/or billions more for pensions, nursing homes, housing supports...

What's a 34 pack?
JPS do a 34 pack, it was 35 until a month ago, reduced to 34 and price the same, they've done this on 30 packet, reduced to 29, now 27 and price the same. Other brands do 30 packs, pall mall etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back