20 cigarettes up 50cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that, nice to see the downward trend, pity it's such a small survey/poll.
Yes, rates of smoking are declining steadily in this country. Good news.
All the more a reason to focus on obesity rates, which are increasing.

Realistically, does anybody here believe that we'll see a day when nobody lights up a cigarette?
No, smoking, in many shapes, has been around since the year dot (whenever that was).
So I reckon no members of AAM will be around if/when it ever stops.

No, smoking, in many shapes, has been around since the year dot (whenever that was).
So I reckon no members of AAM will be around if/when it ever stops.
It is interesting that 50 years ago in general rich people were fat and smoked while the poor were thin and didn't smoke. Now it's the other way around.

That's a 'total lifetime cost', which is what exactly?
You are right, the annual cost is €1.13 billion but it's increasing at a staggering rate (no pun intended). The rate of childhood obesity here is very high and fat kids almost always grow into fat adults.

It is interesting that 50 years ago in general rich people were fat and smoked while the poor were thin and didn't smoke. Now it's the other way around.
Yep, but the rich non-smoking 50 year olds are even fatter and the thin smokers are that way because they can't afford grub. :)

Yep, but the rich non-smoking 50 year olds are even fatter and the thin smokers are that way because they can't afford grub. :)
I do my shopping in Dunnes near Finglas (Charlestown) or Tesco in Finglas and it really is shocking to see people waddling around the shop with a trolley full of pizzas and processed food and, in many cases, no vegetables at all. I don't know how they can afford it and I really don't know how that nonsense it's cheaper to eat processed food than fresh food gets any traction.

You are right, the annual cost is €1.13 billion but it's increasing at a staggering rate (no pun intended). The rate of childhood obesity here is very high and fat kids almost always grow into fat adults.

There is no doubt that as a country our diet leaves a lot to be desired and obesity is on the increase.
But, I don't understand what is meant by :-
New safefood funded research into the cost of childhood overweight and obesity on the island of Ireland has estimated the total lifetime cost to be €7.2billion (€4.6 billion in the Republic Of Ireland and £2.1 billion in Northern Ireland).
BTW where did you get the €1.13 billion from, please?

A fair bit of estimation and guesstimation in that small doc.
So the only direct cost to the state in healthcare per anum is €398million and the rest is indirect € pick,a, figure. They chose €728 million.

Either way it reads a lot better than €4.6 billion ( total lifetime cost ? )

A fair bit of estimation and guesstimation in that small doc.
So the only direct cost to the state in healthcare per anum is €398million and the rest is indirect € pick,a, figure. They chose €728 million.

Either way it reads a lot better than €4.6 billion ( total lifetime cost ? )
This suggests that it was €1.1 billion in 2012 but that's a total cost to the country. The problem's got bigger since then.

I know someone who whinges and whines because they can't afford a holiday in the sun.....but smokes 20+ cigarettes a day. About €5500 a year in cost. Her daughter would love to go to University but the mother has no money to send her.

I know someone who whinges and whines because they can't afford a holiday in the sun.....but smokes 20+ cigarettes a day. About €5500 a year in cost. Her daughter would love to go to University but the mother has no money to send her.
Yep, lots of that going around

That's heart-breaking, not the holiday obviously, but the education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back