20 cigarettes up 50cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this turns younger people off starting in the first place. They just look at the price and stigma associated with smoking and don't ever start.

Are these normal cigarettes with no duty paid on them or counterfeit ones? I could never understand people smoking counterfeit cigarettes just because they are cheap. Cigarettes are full of poisons as it is. Imagine what else you are putting in your body with counterfeit ones?! You might as well drink lead paint.

True but then people don't seem to fear sticking a pill in their mouth and snorting powder that comes from the local reputable drug dealer..!

Nice sentiment Steven, but some people think they look chic/cool with a cigarette in their hand. Others have a fag instead of eating in the belief that smoking keeps them looking good. When all is said and done it's all about appearance.

Yourself, Purple, me, and any other contributor here will have no effect of trying to get people kicking the habit or indeed starting I regret to say.

After all is said and done there's always a lot more said than done. The price of fags doesn't matter because they can get them at cheap prices from anybody travelling abroad.

There's no choice in that matter

Well there is. Don't take them. Ecstasy for example has questionable addictive attributes so in the majority of cases, it is someone choosing to take a pill of unknown origin rather than someone needing to feed an addiction. People will take risks. If you offer them a packet of 20 cigarettes from your local shop at €15 a pop or the same 'box' at €8 from a stranger behind some stall, they will nearly always choose the €8 option. Make drugs legal and offer them safe alternatives at twice the price of sourcing them in the black market, they will go for the black market source.

I think there is a real sense of denial around the issue of illegal cigarettes. Just look at recent custom finds. Like narcotics, these reflect a tiny % of what makes it in to the market and they are going somewhere. Even the idea that doing a survey involving going around picking up cigarette boxes to identify illegally sourced tobacco shows this. Over 30% of smokers now use roll your own cigarettes so they don't leave empty boxes lying around. I know smokers who might buy one box in a shop when they are caught short but will source another 5 boxes by other means.

By the way, I have no issue with raising the price. I just don't think the price in anyway influences smoking levels anymore. The smoking ban which was a health policy did more for smoking in this Country than any taxation policy ever did or has since.

Fatness kills more people than smoking and is far more costly to the State to treat.
I've no problem increasing the price of cigarettes but where are the fat taxes?

Fatness kills more people than smoking and is far more costly to the State to treat.
Of course an early death is a personal tragedy.

But viewed solely through the cold equation of the cost, it also means the State doesn't have to pay out pension costs, nursing home care, and all the other costs that hit 80 somethings for example. Thin people who don't smoke are what'll bankrupt the social security system in the long run!

In my Business, of 12 Staff, 6 Smoke, none of them buy cigs from the shop..

When I gave up the fags, a packet of 20 cost €8.50. I gave them up then because they were so expensive. It was always a Packet of fags and bar of chocolate every morning best part of a tenner there abouts.

The one thing to keep me off the fags, was the build up of €70 every week in a biscuit tin, taped around so as not be tempted to open up. The greatest pleasure i got, was to empty that out when full, with kids excitedly counting out the spoils. This i tell them is what would have been handed over to the shopkeeper..

We've been to the far east, America and many short breaks on this tin, which to this day, I continue to donate.

When I gave up the fags, a packet of 20 cost €8.50. I gave them up then because they were so expensive. It was always a Packet of fags and bar of chocolate every morning best part of a tenner there abouts.

The one thing to keep me off the fags, was the build up of €70 every week in a biscuit tin, taped around so as not be tempted to open up. The greatest pleasure i got, was to empty that out when full, with kids excitedly counting out the spoils. This i tell them is what would have been handed over to the shopkeeper..

We've been to the far east, America and many short breaks on this tin, which to this day, I continue to donate.

fair play, what a great thing to do.

Of course an early death is a personal tragedy.

But viewed solely through the cold equation of the cost, it also means the State doesn't have to pay out pension costs, nursing home care, and all the other costs that hit 80 somethings for example. Thin people who don't smoke are what'll bankrupt the social security system in the long run!
I agree. Smokers pay lots of tax and then die younger.
Fat people live longer and their health conditions are often chronic rather than fatal. They cost the state a fortune. Upwards of €2 billion and rising.

There's nothing wrong with having a takeaway or a bar of chocolate. As long as it is in moderation. So who is to going to keep count of the amount of takeaways that someone has? Then you throw in the lobbying that organisations such as McDonalds and Dominoes will carry out on the govt.

Yourself, Purple, me, and any other contributor here will have no effect of trying to get people kicking the habit or indeed starting I regret to say.
Strongly disagree with this. As a parent I think my actions and guidance, during their formative years, had at the very least some effect on their choices.

Over 30% of smokers now use roll your own cigarettes so they don't leave empty boxes lying around.
The smoking ban which was a health policy did more for smoking in this Country than any taxation policy ever did or has since.
Thin people who don't smoke are what'll bankrupt the social security system in the long run!
Fat people live longer and their health conditions are often chronic rather than fatal. They cost the state a fortune. Upwards of €2 billion and rising.
Would love to read some of the reports that led to the above statements.

I used Allen Carr's book 'Easy Way to Stop Smoking' which was amazing - what a great thing to have done in 2001 and its saved me 20 years of grief, coughs, smelly clothes/ breath and expense.

After every Budget we all come on here pontificating that our Smokers deserve all the taxes they are getting. It's the same old arguments and yet it appears smoking is alive and well and there's no chance of the habit every being wiped out. I never smoked even one cigarette and never had I the desire to do so. Right! Ol' Lep is one of the lucky ones. People who are overweight somehow get dragged into the argument along with those who love their soft drinks, chocolate and sweets.

Realistically, does anybody here believe that we'll see a day when nobody lights up a cigarette? If you do, when do you think it'll happen?

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see any mention of Ireland.

Not 'actually, ' it was purely a projected figure made 8 years ago.
The was a study carried out by UCC 3 years ago that estimated the cost at €4.6 billion so yes, the €4.3 billion was wrong. I stand corrected.
I know that Cork people in general can't be trusted but these are academics. There may even be a few intellectuals involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back