20 cigarettes up 50cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in total shock when he mentioned €15 for a packet of cigarettes, I had thought they were €12 at the moment and that was bad enough. I just cannot understand why anyone is still smoking when they are so expensive :confused:

I was in total shock when he mentioned €15 for a packet of cigarettes, I had thought they were €12 at the moment and that was bad enough. I just cannot understand why anyone is still smoking when they are so expensive :confused:

I would be very surprised if the numbers of people smoking correlates in anyway to the number of cigarettes sold in Irish retail outlets so at this stage, not sure price rises have any impact

In some ways I feel sorry for smokers. I don't smoke anymore, was a heavy smoker for the best part of 35+ years and they're not something that someone can give up easily.

The goverments over the years have really targeted them for massive hikes and they're now a crazy price. I live in a small village in the west of Ireland and not many buy fags in the shops, because they can be bought for less than half price off black market sellers who are all over the place. If you're a smoker you'll find them easily enough.

I'm well aware of the danger cigarettes pose for people and the long term dangers involved. Thing that gets me though with the smokes, is that no one goes home after smoking too many of them and wrecks the house, beats up kids and spouses and causes mayhem. However, a lot of people do the above after drinking too much, yet there's no increase on alcohol at all. Does the tax on cigs just show that it's a tax collection exercise and not a health prevention one? Why not tax the daylights out of drink? It causes absolutely terrible problems in this country, far, far, worse than any cigarette will ever do. Just a thought.

I would be very surprised if the numbers of people smoking correlates in anyway to the number of cigarettes sold in Irish retail outlets so at this stage, not sure price rises have any impact
A tobacco survey from 2019...commissioned by Revenue and the National Tobacco Control Office (never heard of it)...state:

15% of cigarette packets are illegal
9% are legal but non Irish duty paid

Suggests that 3/4 packs have duty paid on them in Ireland.

A tobacco survey from 2019...commissioned by Revenue and the National Tobacco Control Office (never heard of it)...state:

I would think both numbers but especially the 9% are completely underestimated.

I’d have too agree.the illegal trade of cigarettes is booming in Ireland and I can only imagine what money is being made on them.

Addiction and they do help our type, smoke filled rooms , and writing with wine

€15 for a packet of cigarettes. I started smoking around 1992 and they were £2 for 20. That's an inflation rate of 6.3% over that 29 year period. Kind of the expected return of a pension ;)
I used to get them duty free for about £10 stg for a carton of 200 in the mid to late 90s. I think they were c.£12 when european duty free ended in 1999(?). I quit in 2001 as they were too pricey!!

I used to get them duty free for about £10 stg for a carton of 200 in the mid to late 90s. I think they were c.£12 when european duty free ended in 1999(?). I quit in 2001 as they were too pricey!!
That had to be outside the EU , because all duty free died in the early 90s was gone due to Maastricht 1....and living and working in the UK in mid 90s , I can't recall £10 for 200, they were £2 for 10

Regarding fags, for years all our Finance minister has done is increase the take from ciggies bought abroad hence enhancing their coffers at the expense of ours.

That had to be outside the EU , because all duty free died in the early 90s was gone due to Maastricht 1....and living and working in the UK in mid 90s , I can't recall £10 for 200, they were £2 for

That had to be outside the EU , because all duty free died in the early 90s was gone due to Maastricht 1....and living and working in the UK in mid 90s , I can't recall £10 for 200, they were £2 for 10
Duty free until 1999 as I said....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211013-073019_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-073019_Chrome.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 182
I would think both numbers but especially the 9% are completely underestimated.
I knew a guy who got paid to go around pubs and collect empty cigarette boxes from Temple Bar on a Saturday night. They were doing some kind of analysis of the origin and whether they had the excise stickers.

You can also cross-reference survey data about smoking rates with excise duty paid.

I hope this turns younger people off starting in the first place. They just look at the price and stigma associated with smoking and don't ever start.

Are these normal cigarettes with no duty paid on them or counterfeit ones? I could never understand people smoking counterfeit cigarettes just because they are cheap. Cigarettes are full of poisons as it is. Imagine what else you are putting in your body with counterfeit ones?! You might as well drink lead paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back