Who'll Win The World Cup?

Thank God for Donovan's goal for the US in injury time.

If it hadn't have happened, England would be playing Ghana and then either Uruguay or South Korea, instead of Germany then Argentina (hopefully).

Thank God for Donovan's goal for the US in injury time.

If it hadn't have happened, England would be playing Ghana and then either Uruguay or South Korea, instead of Germany then Argentina (hopefully).

I think Mr Man's point is valid now. If they'd have got the easier route, it would have been a similar story of "easy draw" mixed with abject failure. Maybe now they aren't given a chance, they could pull something out the bag. Highly unlikely, but the Germans aren't quite as strong as the 4-0 against a 10 man Australia suggests, but critically England will be underdogs.

I think the potential of Argentina and then Spain (not guaranteed and I think it ignores the potential for the Netherlands to be in there) is probably just too tough, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they put Germany out.

I'll be avoiding every UK media outlet for the next year or so if they do, but I wouldn't be surprised.

In fairness to Germany they were already 2-0 up and cruising against an 11-man Australia before stamping their authority with 2 further goals after Cahill was sent off.

England are very very very slight favourites in the bookies to qualify for the next stage but I presume a significant portion of this can be atrributed to patriotic money supporting them.

Schweinsteiger will be a huge loss to the Germans though.

The 2nd Quarter looks like it could end up being Holland/Italy vs Brazil/Spain, assuming neither Italy nor Spain top their groups.

Huge contrast to the 1st Quarter which is Uruguay/South Korea vs USA/Ghana

Sigh. I actually paid Kevin Myers a compliment last week.
Good to see the muppet is back on form with this idiotic piece

Painful piece. At least he stayed away from mentioning the North Africans!

Just read that. I think he is actually a bit mad TBH.

It's like someone gave the late Keith Floyd a pen (not to mention a bottle or two) and an added injection of self importance and said: "Away you go!"

So Italy gone home early now as well, having finished bottom of Group F, below New Zealand!

Ah yes Germany, after a little glitch against Serbia, through to the semis. On mature reflection, I'm pretty good at this football punditry stuff. ;)

The former English international and crisp salesman on BBC TV, talking head Gary Lineker, commented at the end of the broadcast that Germany's 4-0 defeat of Argentina actually makes England look good. Did I get the impression that he was only half joking?

Germany were awesome and I reckon we have thankfully seen the last of The Sopranos extra that Argentina used as their figure-head manager in international football.

Argentina were desperately badly organised with Messi, Tevez and Co very poorly served by a soft-centre midfield that the Germans just strolled through at their leisure. Bastian Schweinsteiger (spelling?) was a colossus and Meuller, in only his 7th international match looked like he'd been a permanent top-choice international for years. Pity he'll miss the semis, though it might allow him time to recover from the injury he suffered in order to be fit for the final. :)

Looking good.

Ah yes Germany, after a little glitch against Serbia, through to the semis. On mature reflection, I'm pretty good at this football punditry stuff. ;)

The former English international and crisp salesman on BBC TV, talking head Gary Lineker, commented at the end of the broadcast that Germany's 4-0 defeat of Argentina actually makes England look good. Did I get the impression that he was only half joking?

Germany were awesome and I reckon we have thankfully seen the last of The Sopranos extra that Argentina used as their figure-head manager in international football.

Argentina were desperately badly organised with Messi, Tevez and Co very poorly served by a soft-centre midfield that the Germans just strolled through at their leisure. Bastian Schweinsteiger (spelling?) was a colossus and Meuller, in only his 7th international match looked like he'd been a permanent top-choice international for years. Pity he'll miss the semis, though it might allow him time to recover from the injury he suffered in order to be fit for the final. :)

Looking good.

Bang goes the few bob I was going to make when Argentina!!! :(

Did FIFA not introduce a rule saying that suspensions wouldn't count for the semi final? Maybe I misunderstood whatever I heard.

Did FIFA not introduce a rule saying that suspensions wouldn't count for the semi final? Maybe I misunderstood whatever I heard.
Sorry about that Chief. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that yellows (but not automatic one-match bans) going into the semis were granted an amnesty to try and avoid guys who get yellows in the semis missing the final. Does that make sense? Anyone on a single yellow gets the slate wiped clean for the semis. Meuller got a second yellow in the quarters so he has to serve a one-match ban.

Sorry about that Chief. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that yellows (but not automatic one-match bans) going into the semis were granted an amnesty to try and avoid guys who get yellows in the semis missing the final. Does that make sense? Anyone on a single yellow gets the slate wiped clean for the semis. Meuller got a second yellow in the quarters so he has to serve a one-match ban.

Thanks, Mathepac. That makes sense alright. Yeah, it's hard to see any team being able to handle the Germans if they play like they did against Argentina yesterday............

I'm all for Germany, they were fantastic. While the others only just squeezed through, Germany has permanently performed on a high standard /except against Serbia but I bet they won't repeat the same mistake again/.
Argentina were actually rather pathetic, I don't know what Maradona was thinking, betting everything on offensive and completely forgetting that you must have a solid defence and midfield if you want to play against a decent team.

Having seen most of the WC so far and also having lost every bet I've made, I think I've seen the best team in Germany - flowing, fast, confident - they seem to have it all - I'm thinking they could beat Spain on Wednesday.
I'm not betting though!

Germany have made a mockery of my predictions. How I got them so wrong I'll never know. I suppose I just didn't think players with less than 5 caps could be so good. Now I feel foolish.

One big bet came in and that was Holland, Germany, Spain, Brazil and Argentina to top their groups at 15/2. Although Spain nearly messed that up!!

Anyway, two bets still holding up
Villa for top scorer at 8/1 and Spain v Holland in the final at 20/1.

I have an outside bet of Spain to win it and Van Persie to be top scorer at 85/1. Unless RVP cracks in a hat-trick I haven't a hope with that one.

I really don't mind who wins it. Germany deserve it but it would be great to see Holland or Spain finally do it. And Uruguay have been such good fun.

Has a European team ever won world cup when it has been staged outside Europe?
From memory they never won in South America, and Brazil won in USA 1994 and Japan 2002.

Back