Who'll Win The World Cup?

Interesting point I just found on the BBC website

"The ball has been used in domestic football in Germany, France and Argentina since February, but not in England."

I wonder why - pure speculation but I'd wager the prem managers would have to have had a vote on it and the English managers would have been outnumbered where as in Germany, with more local managers they would have voted for it?

I've nothing to back this up - just wondering why on earth they didnt use it in England.

The premiership uses a Nike ball but that is only half the answer.

Seemingly, and this is according to today's news, the FA got delivery of 25 balls in February but misplaced them. They did not have the cop-on to re-order 25 more.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890...englands-consignment-of-jabulani-balls-report

When someone questions the ball, the consistant answer from FIFA seems to be "......its not the ball....its the altitude/local conditions....etc..."

As the ball was designed specifically for this tournament, you would think that they'd take this into account and produce a ball that is suitable for the altitude/local conditions.

So ..

- Germany have had it in advance and have scored 4 times
- Argentina have had it in advance and have scored 5 times
- France have had it in advance and .. :eek:

What happened to the teutonic Germans with their strict discipline and steely determination??

This team is missing penalties, picking up cards like it's Christmas, defending like 14 year olds and playing some really exciting attacking football.

Is Brazil of the 80's now the Germany of 2010? More to the point, is Germany of the 80's the Brazil of 2010?

Ha ha. I was including the yellows.
So, it could be Germany v England in the round of 16. Not many Christmas cards exchanged there....

Just got a text from a mate in England.

"I can't believe we only managed a draw against a crap team we should easily have beaten.

I'm ashamed to call myself Algerian."

One thing that I have noticed is that FIFA may have found the ultimate answer to whether they need video technology or not: good linesmen. There's rarely been a bad call from these guys, they've got some of the tightest and most complicated calls right (in offsides), proving that the different phases of action in offside isn't that complicated after all.

The standard of refs hasn't been too bad either. Card happy, but then they always are in the World Cup, but in the main they've been consistent, getting the calls right and even clamping down on shirt tugging etc in the box. They're still a bit too easily taken in by some play acting, but it'll never be perfect.

Just goes to show (and the FA really need to take note) what can be achieved with competent officials.

Not sure you could say the refereeing from the Brazil game was competent Latrade! Two clear handballs for the second goal, two tackles where the studs were up (the first could easily have broken his leg), and a sending off where the referee didn't even see the incident and didn't consult his linesmen so we can only assume he sent him off without any evidence that he (Kaka) did anything wrong - which of course he didn't. Keita should have been booked for gamemanship.

Come on Uruguay and my sweep stake!!!

Looks like Uruguay will have South Korea in the round of 16. At least they don't have to play Argentina*. Then its the winners of USA/England/Slovenia or the runners up of Ghana/Germany/Serbia.

I can't believe how bad the French are. I just didn't think they would collapse so badly. Really should have known better as they usually crash out in the group stages (well, 75% of the time and about to become 80%) when the WC is not in Europe. (Uruguay 1930, Argentina 1978 and Japan & South Korea 2002). Mexico in 86 being the exception.

*As long as Argentina don't contrive to mess it up tonight.

Argentina would have to lose to Greece by 3 goals AND South Korea would have to beat Nigeria by 3 goals for Argentina to go home.

Argentina would have to lose to Greece by 3 goals AND South Korea would have to beat Nigeria by 3 goals for Argentina to go home.

I just meant not topping the group. It gives Uruguay a better chance of making the quarters now that they play S. Korea. That's some group of strikers Argentina have. If only they had defenders to match.

May as well give the trophy to England now sure.

Listening to the excitement after their 1-0 victory over the mighty Slovenia you can see they are world beaters again. No point in any other teams continuing in the tournament.

They could be in a spot of bother if they get Germany

I will be amazed if they beat Germany. They have only managed to scrape through in an easy group, finishing behind the USA. Their days are numbered in the competition.

I will be amazed if they beat Germany. They have only managed to scrape through in an easy group, finishing behind the USA. Their days are numbered in the competition.

Not really they go from the unwanted 'favourites' tag in their group and all of the pressure that comes with it and go in as underdogs against Germany. Germany are strong but can be tested and England will give them a match. There was a definite turn in attitude from the players today and that win could spur them on to beat the Germans, hopefully they will anyway.

Back