Who'll Win The World Cup?

Lex Foutish

Most of my friends seem to think that Spain will win it. I'd love to see them do it but I reckon it's a more open World Cup than usual.

I have a good feeling about Argentina. They were rubbish in the qualifiers but they have some outstanding players and I reckon that, if they get off to a good start, they could go all the way. Paddy Power have them at 13/2. I think I'll throw a tenner on them.

All the odds are here.....

This is also an interesting one. Odds for a picking a winner plus the tournament's top scorer.

My son, who has a reasonably good track record in soccer betting, reckons that Villa will be top scorer.

History shows that you should either back the hosts, Italy, Germany, Argentina or Brazil as in every world cup, bar one, they've won it. Obviously South Africa won't win it. I've a sneaking fancy for Germany, lots of underage success in recent years, and an easy run to the last 8

History shows that you should either back the hosts, Italy, Germany, Argentina or Brazil as in every world cup, bar one, they've won it. Obviously South Africa won't win it. I've a sneaking fancy for Germany, lots of underage success in recent years, and an easy run to the last 8

Germany to win, with Messi as top scorer, is 175/1. Surely worth a fiver!

North Korea.
Winning the world cup will be good for morale for the upcoming war.

North Korea.
Winning the world cup will be good for morale for the upcoming war.

Lol!!! Did you hear that the authorities aren't allowing the North Korean matches to be broadcast live and that they'll only show highlights if they win!!! :rolleyes:

Spain, as Euro Champs, must be the favourites. As with any WC, the last 8 are usually all decent teams who could win.

I don't think a european team has won the WC when it has been played outside of europe so history goes against Germany.
As for good outside bets, Tevez is 40/1 for top scorer and players only need one handy match to succeed.

players only need one handy match to succeed.

So true. An easy group could see a striker netting 3/4/5 goals. Argentina and Spain have very easy groups. If Italy had a striker worth a damn he could get a shed load in the group.

Van Persie is also a good shout IMHO. Dutch draw is kind to them. The group is a walk and they will then play Paraguay, NZ or Slovakia. RVP could have 6 by the time they meet Brazil in the quarter.

Have a look at this predictor. Very good actually.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/inc/v4/world_cup_2010/wallchart/main.html#p

I don't think a european team has won the WC when it has been played outside of europe ..

.. and no European team has ever failed to win the World Cup when it has been played in Africa :D !

Favourites rarely end up winning the World Cup. Tournaments also develop their own monentum and teams discover or lose form. Italy in 2006 and in 1982 were no-one's pick early on yet brought the Cup home.

Spain should be good, but the backbone of their side is Barcelona who have had 2 hard seasons. This may be a tournament too far for them. When is the last time the reigning European championship winners have gone on to win the World Cup ? When Holland were great in 1988, they were outdone in 1990. Denmark ? Greece ?

Argentina or Brazil should be safe bets, but the chances are that Maradona will pick the wrong team (given that he has already started with the wrong squad) and will fail to get the best out of Messi.

The leading African teams were poor in the ACN and the winners didn't qualify for the World Cup and, in terms of climate, the South African winter won't be an advantage for any African team.

So, who is left ?

Holland ? If they can stop arguing among themselves long enough to keep winning.

One of the other European teams to do a Croatia ? Serbia ?

Germany ? Unlikely without Ballack or a striker.

England ? They could get to the last 4, but, ultimately, their defence will be undone.

So .. Brazil ?

Holland ? If they can stop arguing among themselves long enough to keep winning.

One of the other European teams to do a Croatia ? Serbia ?

Germany ? Unlikely without Ballack or a striker.

England ? They could get to the last 4, but, ultimately, their defence will be undone.

So .. Brazil ?

+1 for Germany. I thought they had a good chance at first but without a midfield and a decent striker they are looking less attractive.

England look like they will draw Serbia. That should be interesting. Serbia could shock them. If they win that England should meet Uruguay or France. If France have sorted themselves out by then it could be close.

Holland should draw Brazil in the last 8. Brazil will have to beat them and then probably play England to reach the final. That's not an easy run. As tarfHead said, Holland could stop arguing long enough to keep winning.

Argentina look to have it the easiest of the big 8 to the semis. Can't argue with DiMaria and Messi on the wings with 2 out of Milito, Tevez, Higuan and Aguero up front. But Mardonna is a nut and defensively they are weak. Not bringing Cambiasso and Zanetti is suicidal IMO.

Spain are everyone's favourites but they appear to have Portugal in the first knock out round. Anything could happen in an Iberian derby.

But if I had to put hard cash down my semis are:
Argentina v Spain
Holland/Brazil v England/France

I can't spilt Holland and Brazil and England and France. Just can't call it at the moment.

I backed KJ Huntelaar (Holland) to be top scorer @ 50-1. I think Holland might win it, Serbia as an outside bet.

Semi Finals I have, England v Brazil and Argentina v Spain with a Brazil v Spain Final.

I have Germany being knocked out by the USA in the 1st round of knockouts and Italy being beaten by Spain in the 1/4 finals. I have Holland to be beaten by Brazil in another 1/4 final and England to beat South Korea too (Sount Korea to beat France in the 1st round of knockouts).

Spain to win it with Villa top scorer

I think England will at best, get to the semi-final stage and then it will be the usual 'if only, bad luck, should have' stories......from the red top tabloids for the next few years. Good Luck to them, I only wish we were there too:(.

Brazil are going to be a very hard team to beat. With Dunga in charge, there won't be any of the 'sexy' type football associated with Brazil. They have a very impressive mid-field and could go all the way. Brazil are in the 'Group of Death' alongside Portugal, Ivory Coast and North Korea. Should be very interesting and with Deco playing for his adopted country, will he less popular in Brazil after this World Cup.

Spain are my choice and I hope they win. Fantastic & Entertaining

Is is just me, or ..

.. are there too many teams in the finals ? 32 teams = 48 matches to eliminate half of them. There are very few games in the first stage to genuinely be excited about. Brazil Portugal is one, though I can't name any Portugese player after Ronaldo and Deco, and Deco is past his best. In the same group, the Ivory Coast could be good, or could be as poor as they were in the ANC.

I've no interest watching any games involving Honduras, New Zealand, either of the Koreas, Greece, or Australia if they can find room in their squad for Harry Kewell.

Less could be more

Well this is the one and only time I get interested in football.

I would like to see Spain win because it's time they did - simple as. :p

Seems they have a good chance too.

Can you imagine an Argentina v England final :eek:

The winners would surely embark on the biggest gloatfest in recorded history.

Not an impossible scenario either...

I'm still trying to get Italy to win the World Cup through my friendships if you know what I mean :D

...But I strongly believe that this time Brazil won't disappoint their supporters!:(

Went out at lunch and threw a fiver on Spain to win and VanPersie to be top scorer at 85/1. Was worth a punt. Also did an accumulator of Spain, Brazil, Holland, Germany and Argentina to top their groups at 7.5/1.

Last edited:
Back