Who'll Win The World Cup?

It's just half time in the opening match. I saw the last five minutes. Does anyone else find that constant background noise, like a swarm of bees, extremely irritating? :mad:

I heard it for about 30 seconds and I too found it extremely irritating.

Apparently it's called the vuvuzela. Hopefully it'll just be there for the three matches involving RSA ;)

It's just half time in the opening match. I saw the last five minutes. Does anyone else find that constant background noise, like a swarm of bees, extremely irritating? :mad:

It's the Vuvuzela. I don't mind it myself. The atmosphere is really electric and this decent 1st game in the world cup bodes well for the rest of the tournament.

It's annoying but I think it has one very good side: it will drown out that English Brass Band.

Rather an angry hornets nest than another round of The Great Escape.

I thought you didn't know anything about football.

Ah but during world cup time (with the plethora of supplements, inserts, 'special sections', wall charts etc that seem to be tumbling out of every bleedin' paper you open) is the quickest and easiest route to armchair expertism known to man! :)

Germany looked good last night - like to see them against a better team. For sure, the best team i've seen so far.

Pat Kenny was getting forecasts on Friday from a group of pundits, including Eamon Dunphy.

Back then, Eamon was predicting that Australia would shock Germany and that Germany would not qualify out of the group. Part of his rationale was how Australia thumped Ireland 3-0.

Oops ;)

I believe he was on again this morning. I'll check out the podcast later to hear if Pat reminded him of this :).

Eamon apologised profusely , admitted that he got it totally wrong and didn't realise Germany were so good and admitted that his research into the German side wasn't up to scratch.

A couple of weeks back I attended a pre World Cup event in the Aviva with Andy Gray , Marco Tardelli and Eammo , Dunphy said Germany were awful with the central defenders particularly poor.

He went on to say that the 2 Bayern centre halves were brutal,it was pointed out that Demichelis was Agentinian and Van Buyten was Belgian !
Eamonn didn't bat an eyelid and only joined in the laughter.

Backed Germany & Holland so that means either Brazil or Spain will win it! My topscorer punts have yet to yield a goal but theres a long way to go yet.

I did two doubles.

Villa top scorer and Argentina to win
Villa top scorer and Brazil to win

Fiver on each.

Interesting point I just found on the BBC website

"The ball has been used in domestic football in Germany, France and Argentina since February, but not in England."

I wonder why - pure speculation but I'd wager the prem managers would have to have had a vote on it and the English managers would have been outnumbered where as in Germany, with more local managers they would have voted for it?

I've nothing to back this up - just wondering why on earth they didnt use it in England.

Because the Premier League has a contract with Nike to supply their footballs.

I don't think the 'new' ball has had that much effect on the games. it swerves a bit but nothing out of the ordinary.

Not Spain anyway!

Wouldn't beat against them. Although they might be on course to play Brazil in the 1st knockout round.

But they could beat Brazil on their day. One bad result doesn't mean your WC is over, especially for a team with the quality that Spain has.

Back