The Queen's Visit- what do you think?

"Move on" - funny that.

That's what Adams keeps telling his critics too.

Therefore, if SF raises strong objections to the visit he is a complete hypocrite - yes?

What I read was that he was quoted as saying he thought it was premature, but the view of the Unionists had to be taken into account. That sounds like compromise to me ... I'm not sure where "strong objections" came from?

Speaking of hypocrasy, I still await an answer as to why so many who are anti - Sinn Fein are so pro welcoming the figurehead of a State which has been ethnically cleansing us for 800 years, and pointing to this as being 'progressive'. It strikes me as something of a double standard.

Incidentally, to get back to the OP, I would welcome the Queen here but without being ashamed of or denying history.

Speaking of hypocrasy, I still await an answer as to why so many who are anti - Sinn Fein are so pro welcoming the figurehead of a State which has been ethnically cleansing us for 800 years, and pointing to this as being 'progressive'. It strikes me as something of a double standard.

Incidentally, to get back to the OP, I would welcome the Queen here but without being ashamed of or denying history.

I'm not anti-SF because of their past (athough I do find it utterly repugnant), I just don't particularly like their policies. Hat's off to Adams & McGuinness and all the others that achieved the GF agreement.

As for ethnically cleansing us, I don't think it's quite that simple. I, like nearly everyone I know, has a pretty mixed ancestery. protestant & catholic heritiage mixed up completely in my case. I consider myself Irish and included in the us. Just because someone doesn't belong to a genetically pure gene pool pre-dating the English doesn't lessen my claim to be Irish.

Why hasn't someone mentioned that it will show "that we have matured as a nation"?

Usually quoted whenever relations with the U.K. are mentioned these days

What I read was that he was quoted as saying he thought it was premature, but the view of the Unionists had to be taken into account. That sounds like compromise to me ... I'm not sure where "strong objections" came from?

Firstly, I said "If" - it remains to be seen if Mr Adams new found magnanimity is echoed throughout his band of merry men.

Secondly, it's all very strange anyway since less than a year ago I distinctly remember Martin Ferris talking on this very same subject on Matt Cooper - and he most certainly had strong objections.

These boys certainly "move on" fast don't they especially if there is an urgency to them being considered a "proper" polical party?

Realistically I suppose we should be glad that we're getting Liz. If we were to wait a few years we'd possibly be getting her cretin of a son. Phil should be good for a laugh though.

Firstly, I said "If" - it remains to be seen if Mr Adams new found magnanimity is echoed throughout his band of merry men.

Secondly, it's all very strange anyway since less than a year ago I distinctly remember Martin Ferris talking on this very same subject on Matt Cooper - and he most certainly had strong objections.

These boys certainly "move on" fast don't they especially if there is an urgency to them being considered a "proper" polical party?

I didn't actually hear the interview in question, but tbh the actual business of politics is one that I have very little faith in anyway on a personal level. Did he do a 'U-turn'? - probably.

I think they're probably trying to keep a lunatic fringe element happy at the same time. The "all Ireland" idea is just that ... an aspiration. It sounds okay to some while to others it doesn't, hence RIRA. History has moved on and it can't be re-written on that score. I expect that idea to slowly fade out over the years.

horusd: I take your point, I wasn't talking about "purity" of race (whatever that actually is!) in the use of the term "ethnic". Frankly I that's not something I 'do', because there's no such thing as a 'pure' member of any race if one wanted to use that nasty barometer. Maybe the Amazonians? :p

To me respect should be earned and not a birthright. I would begrudge any public money spent on her visit- she is not a head of state in any meaningful way.

I've totally changed my mind- was talking to a friend who works in tourism and who said they would love, love her to come to Killarney because loads of lovely English people ( potential tourists) will be following her visit and it might inspire them to come over here. If that's the case, then failte/welcome your highness!;)

There's avery apt line in The Naked Gun.

"Protecting the Queen's safety is a task that is gladly accepted by Police Squad. For no matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us, as Americans, we must be gracious and considerate hosts."

I was down the Gap of Dunloe last May and the unwashed-knackers with the ponies and traps left all sorts of greasy marks on the sides of the hire cars. I had to explain to my extended romanian family members that we had knackers in Ireland too. Perhaps more than them. We stopped somewhere over the mountain for a glass of Cidona and a pack of Tayto so I could explain to my traumatised kids that they were lucky that they were half 'Wickla' and not from the 'Kingdom'. :))

Queens country gave me a job for 10 years when my own couldn't. Support a football team there, have lots of friends and family over there so as far as I'm concerned, she's more then welcome

There was a very funny exchange of letters in a national newspaper a few years back. A regular contributor of the West Brit variety bemoaned the state of Ireland compared to our British neighbours. He finished his latest rant with the words; "...it was a sad day the last British gunboat left Queenstown." The following day a letter appeared agreeing that it was indeed a sad day, but only because the previous writer wasn't put on the last British gunboat!

In my case, I'm anti Sinn Fein, probably because they blew my desk to pieces in the Bishopsgate bomb, rattled my windows in the Canary Wharf bomb and set off a litter bin bomb in the street next to one I was walking on. In fairness, the Queen, or any of her subjects never did that to me, instead they made me very welcome when I lived in London for 10 years, gave me a job, a career and a lot of good friends, despite the efforts of my self proclaimed "countrymen" to disrupt that for me and for all the Irish people who have ever lived in London.

I'm not arguing we should forget history, I'm well aware and proud of my own familiy's part in the fight for independence and still have some of their medals at home. I'm also well aware and proud of my own family's part in the Royal Navy and Britsh Army in not one, but 2 world wars and still have some of those medals at home as well, including, I might add, medals from one family member who fought at Ypres and whose brother was a member of a flying column.

Do my views make me a hypocrite?, that's for others to decide. What I do know is that I have no issue with the Queen coming here and I am and will remain vehimently anti Sinn Fein until Adams and his cronies fess up to their deeds and apologise to every Irish man for what they have done over the last 30 years.

I was down the Gap of Dunloe last May and the unwashed-knackers with the ponies and traps left all sorts of greasy marks on the sides of the hire cars. I had to explain to my extended romanian family members that we had knackers in Ireland too. Perhaps more than them. We stopped somewhere over the mountain for a glass of Cidona and a pack of Tayto so I could explain to my traumatised kids that they were lucky that they were half 'Wickla' and not from the 'Kingdom'. :))

Ah here, the jarveys are not 'knackers'. :rolleyes:

They are merely 'tough out' and 'cute hoors' to boot. Completely different!:p

Sure that guff is just as offensive as the shinners and their supporters.

A basic propoganda tactic - if you set your own trite questions of course you can some up with the answers.

Sure that guff is just as offensive as the shinners and their supporters.

A basic propoganda tactic - if you set your own trite questions of course you can some up with the answers.

I think it was largely meant to be tongue-in-cheek given the author.

Oh I realise that but it's a bit beyond mere satire don't you think?

Also, the guy is a self proclaimed unionist don't forget.

Oh I realise that but it's a bit beyond mere satire don't you think?

Also, the guy is a self proclaimed unionist don't forget.

Aye, he is that, but he's not beyond sending up the Unionists either. I think it's just to inject some lightness into some quarters taking the issue too seriously. I didn't suddenly start signing God Save the Queen after reading it, but I chuckled through most of it.

Back