The Queen's Visit- what do you think?

Some of the guests looked amazing,Amy Hubberman comes to mind..And Our President.
However I was really taken aback at the amount of people who were very overweight!
Some were spilling out of their dresses!Have they no friends?? :)

The standing ovation for the Queen last night was something else. Methinks this visit will outshine Obama. I watched Oliva O'Leary's speech gobsmacked. She is tackled history head-on. Anyone else see the event?

The standing ovation for the Queen last night was something else. Methinks this visit will outshine Obama. I watched Oliva O'Leary's speech gobsmacked. She is tackled history head-on. Anyone else see the event?

Olivia O'Leary gave a speech?

Olivia O'Leary gave a speech?
More of an essay, some thought it edgy but I thought it was honest and amusing.
And apparently it went down well with our Northern cousins too. Belfast Telegraph "the highlight was broadcaster Olivia O'Leary's gracious, funny and prescient essay on the visit"
Only pity for me has been the need for excessive security down to a very small number of anarchic types.

Disappointing, the entire trip has been a failure :(

Prince Philip has been behaving himself and has managed not to stereotype and insult everyone in Ireland

Come on Cork, we're relying on you to wind him up!
Nobody does annoying like a Corkonian boi

Disappointing, the entire trip has been a failure :(

Prince Philip has been behaving himself and has managed not to stereotype and insult everyone in Ireland

Come on Cork, we're relying on you to wind him up!
Nobody does annoying like a Corkonian boi

Maybe he'll be able to get a proper pint (or two even!) of stout in Cork. Certainly be better than that "Liffey water" stuff he rightly avoided in Dublin ;-)

Only pity for me has been the need for excessive security down to a very small number of anarchic types.

The level of protests seen here were pretty much what you'd expect anywhere in the world for a visit of this nature.

More of an essay, some thought it edgy but I thought it was honest and amusing.
And apparently it went down well with our Northern cousins too. Belfast Telegraph "the highlight was broadcaster Olivia O'Leary's gracious, funny and prescient essay on the visit"

She does a piece every week on RTE Radio Drivetime and it's usually some of the most sensible radio I hear all week, her speech this time was similer to what she did on the radio earlier this week
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_drivetime.xml

The Rebels showed themselves for the sort people they are today..... welcoming, friendly and demonstrating complete respect without any hint of deference.... I'm proud to call the Real Capital home...!!!

Got to see the Queen today as she was driven past. She looked great and everybody was cheering. The English Market looked excellent too. It was a super trip and we did ourselves proud. Nice to see something really well. Obama now on Monday...it's all go!

Step forward Cork

The mantle of jackeen has been passed from Dublin to you :p

Plently of union flags on display

[broken link removed]

phew, sigh of relief, she got through the visit without being egged, shot, bombed, insulted etc.

A great success all round. If there's a commerative DVD I might buy it - only saw bits and pieces on the hoof, would be interested in Olivia O'Leary's essay, heard it was good, must youtube it.

By contrast the Obama thing doesnt strike me as particularly significant, though I like the guy and all.

p.s. thinking of going to Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Sunday with a Clare flag saying

"Cork for Liz, Clare for Sam" :D

Ha! After all the lip the Corkians give us Dubs about unions jacks, who pray tell were wavin em like gusto today! Load of damn royalists ye lot in the so called rebel county! Are ye all chasin Knighthoods lads and lassies ? :D

On a serious note, I am no royalist but it appears from what I have seen that this visit has passed off very well, and we came across well.

As a native of NI I grew up with so much hatred for the British Royal Family. But listening to the analysis today, it would appear that this great breakthrough might have a monetary spin-off for the country. Surely we will see improved trade links, and more significantly, increased UK tourist numbers, which have dropped off dramatically over recent years. Perhaps us being 'friends' will do our economy the power of good?

Then I got to thinking about the element that really love a good protest. Do they really hold their ideals so strongly that they can't see the greater good that might come from all this. She's an 85yr old woman who seems harmless enough. This country is in an absolute mess and if something like this was to give these people the chance to get a job then would they be so vocal?

But then again, many such people have no interest in working.

Does anyone have the section of todays RTE coverage where the history of Queen Victoria's statue in UCC was explained. Either on Youtube or RTE iPlayer. I can't find it anywhere and my Sky+ finished at 3pm and missed the end of the broadcast.

You know I am just relieved she survived the trip. At the back of my mind I had a niggling feeling that something bad would happen.
And fair play to McAleese, I thought she was an excellent host.

Anyone else find that just a little bit cringeworthy?

Some very good bits, but most of it silly, sentimental aul claptrap. Sounded like it could have been writtten by a 13yrs old for homework.

And the country might have suffered worse relations with the UK for actually inflicting that Mary Byrne woman on the Queen - jez, she is played out now, let her fade away quietly, please.

Back