The Queen's Visit- what do you think?

horusd

I saw a protest on Sat. outside the GPO against the Queen's impending visit. I think she is coming in May for a few days. Personally, I'm not into the idea of Monarchy, but having said that, I don't mind her coming. She represents our closest neighbour, and as a person she strikes me as a good egg, and god but she's a lot to put up with in that family!

She should get the respect of any visiting head of State. I'll resist the urge (ok its non-existent) to wave a union jack, but I've no intention of protesting either. One fears it'll be a chance for the Dutch Gold and Celtic jersey crowd for a rumble (a la Love Ulster parade).

Its a great tourist opportunity (65 million odd only a short hop away), but it could go the other way if we paint ourselves as boneheads living in the past, still shouldering our colonial chip on shoulder.

Bit apprehensive overall.

Dont mind her visiting. But the first question she should be asked when she meets the President is "When will you be introducing democracy to the UK?....we shouldnt have unelected heads of state etc...".

Same question to be asked to any monarch who visits.

I don't have an issue with the visit at all....we aren't paying for it though, are we?

I don't like the idea of paying millions to provide security for the visit and am not convinced by the 'tourist benefit' idea either.
However, one thing that would bother me greatly is the idea of our friendly, neighbourly Northern Brethren being bussed down again with butchers aprons in tow.... can only imagine the consequences this time!

In short - a low-key visit might just benefit both sides...

In fairness, they have lent us €8 billion in our time of need so I'd like to think that as a nation we could at least be civil to her. Mind you, at least it'll give then Shinners another opportunity to get their tricolours out

Personally, it will make no difference to my life whether she comes or not. I'd like to think as a nation that we could have her visit without mayhem but I'd fear for it.
There are plenty of people who would "love" her to visit just for a bit of "mischief" - another few cars over turned etc.
I assume she's not going to parade down O'Connell St? That being the case, it would all be behind closed doors and maybe the worst that would happen would be a few nutters outside the Dail (as usual).

Mind you, at least it'll give then Shinners another opportunity to get their tricolours out

I'll be interested in seeing how SF play this. Gerry Adams was on the TV in the past couple of weeks pleading that they deserve a chance to show they have 'moved on'.
If they make an issue or protest about it, it would show they haven't changed that much.

I don't agree with a Monarchy, but I do think this is an important and historic occasion. It is also another bit of closure on our troubled history. However there will be people who will prefer to remain in the past with all the troubles and violence that brought.

One thing's for certain, we'll never be short of forelock tuggers in this godforsaken kip of a country.

Let them stick their Queen where the sun don't shine. Their PM is welcome anytime but Liz and the rest of the germans can stay at home.

I wouldnt welcome her but at the same time I couldnt care less if she comes or not. She should be treated with respect, as a head of a State, but that respect should not in my opinion extend to the rubbish that happens in her own country - bowing, referring to her as "your majesty" and only speaking when she asks a question, or only shaking her hand when she offers first.. things like that should be consigned to the history books. At the end of the day, she is no more important to me than the man down the street.

You are guaranteed trouble and protests if she does visit. There is a small but very organised section on this island who dont want her to visit under any circumstances.

One thing's for certain, we'll never be short of forelock tuggers in this godforsaken kip of a country.

What would the actions of a forelock tugger be in this particular instance? Do we need a day of rage to prove our nationhood?, or do we just carry on as normal not marking this foreign dignatory out for any special treatment?

On a tourist market level its massive free publicity, it up to us whether thats good or bad publicity. Sky will no doubt be doing their 24/7 on it.

I think it would be very misrepresentative of relations between the peoples if we insist on making a hullabaloo over this. Thousands of us live there and vice versa, there's no tension anymore (bar a bit of banter over sport), so why should we insult an entire nations people over past wrongs that 99% hardly know of or not no hand act or part in?? I'd be fairly annoyed if Mary McAlesse was heckled or there were riots over there.

We got past God Save the Queen in Croke Park, that was a more emotive issue for me than Lizzie popping into Farmleigh.

but that respect should not in my opinion extend to the rubbish that happens in her own country - bowing, referring to her as "your majesty" and only speaking when she asks a question, or only shaking her hand when she offers first.. things like that should be consigned to the history books.

I'd agree with that, we dont ponce around Berlusconi when he calls so Lizzie should be told to get with the programme.

At least all that bowing and scraping, if it does goes ahead, will be behind closed doors.

To me respect should be earned and not a birthright. I would begrudge any public money spent on her visit- she is not a head of state in any meaningful way.

Dont mind her visiting. But the first question she should be asked when she meets the President is "When will you be introducing democracy to the UK?....we shouldnt have unelected heads of state etc...".

Same question to be asked to any monarch who visits.

You may not be aware that the Queen rules, but does NOT govern.

The Government consists of MPs who are elected by the votes of a majority of those voting in their constituency.
That's democracy as far as I'm concerned.

Back