The Queen's Visit- what do you think?

Let them stick their Queen where the sun don't shine. Their PM is welcome anytime but Liz and the rest of the germans can stay at home.

Born in England to English-born parents, both of whom had English-born parents.

How far back do you think we should go to determine someone's nationality?

Born in England to English-born parents, both of whom had English-born parents.

How far back do you think we should go to determine someone's nationality?

About the time of the Norman Conquest should be about right. :D

About the time of the Norman Conquest should be about right. :D

LMAO!!! If you really wanted to grind the axe then I'm french given that my family arrived in Ireland with Oliver Cromwell to hand the irish their asses!

Seriously though the english PM should be very welcome but I'd draw the line at their Monarch.

Okay Lizzie's on the way, probably around May or so. Adams was out of the traps PDQ to complain about it as being premature and offensive to some etc etc,same old same old. He can see all the negatives and none of the postives. He can't countenance that most of us just want to move on, and see a visit as a kind of progress, and a coming of age. Strangely for a republican he ascribes more power to her than she has. She's an old woman, she seems like a decent person, she represents our nearest neighbour, not British power. I won't be waving a Union Jack, but I hope she has a nice visit and we can demonstrate we're not trapped forever in the past.

Never mind the Queen , it's Philip's visit I'm looking forward to.

Expect plenty of references to Paddies , drunkenness ,potatoes , brawling - in effect all the stereotypes.

It will be like a re run of " The Quiet Man " !

This man is an English/Greek national treasure and I welcome him to these shores & if the missus wants to tag along for a bit of shopping so much the better.

Philip does suffer from foot in mouth syndrome alright. I'm glad Jackie Healy Rae's gone, the Brits would have a field day with him.

Mrs Windsor has to do something now that she has left Eastenders

If she satisfies the Ryanair terms and conditions of her flight then its fine with me and I hope she drops into a souvineir shop and buys some "Ireland" baseball caps for the folks back home.

As for the Shinners, they have a strong mandate to act the maggot when she gets here, given to them last week by like minded muppets. I dont know why anyone would think that they will behave any differently to the crass, ignorant morons they are.

If people don't want SF around to protest, don't vote for them and don't give shelter or favour to anyone who does. They might have a lot of pople fooled but anyone with half a brain or a consience knows enough about the provos to know better.

M

We live in a democracy (despite the Provos best efforts) so the people are entitled to vote for who they wish no matter how stupid their choices are. And this can apply across all parties. Of course the semi illiterate bar stool heroes believe that they will be seen as hard men if they align themselves with the allegedly reformed murder gang who increased their vote by 3% despite there being the most unpopular government ever in power. The Irish people with the exception of a small percentage are not fooled by Baron Adams and his 2+2=9 national school economics policy

Personally, it will make no difference to my life whether she comes or not.

Your life might be affected in the short-term depending on her itinerary and whether it clashes with your own!

I remember when Margaret Thatcher came to Dublin Castle in the 80s, I was working nearby and all staff had to get special passes just to get to and from our offices for the few days she was in town!

We should of course welcome the Queen, and forget about 800 years of opression and more recently U.K. Government sponsored death squads in the North of Ireland. These were not "terrorist" acts at all, they were the actions of 'Loyalist Paramilitaries' and besides, not pretending that none of this happened might make us look like we're stuck in the past.

The fact is that on here the murder of Catholics running into 4 figures is okay, but we should obsess about SF while ignoring this and somehow "move on".

Not once during the various (largely incoherent) rants about Sinn Fein has anyone mentioned what the IRA was a direct response to. I disagree with murder, but it seems that the majority of ranters only disagree with certain murders.

What's wrong with Ireland, other than people who sip lattes, read the 'Irish Independent' and think the World outside of Dublin is square, is a kind of post colonial insecurity. This is a colony really, and the thinking is reflective of a colony. The wanabee 'subject' mentality. We do well with masters.

Back