Teachers/Free classes

.. I think it's a disgrace that teachers who live close to schools and have free classes can nip home and do whatever during their free time. .. I pay these private teachers wages and I'm sure there is plenty for them to do in the school, go knows their day is short enough.

Not strictly true. Private schools depend on State subsidies, so we all pay part of their wages. As we do yours. And, possibly, you do mine.

Teachers are an easy target for criticism based on what many perceive to be their working day and holiday time. I wouldn't do it for twice the money.

Personally speaking, I work from home once or twice a month, and I've been known to put the bins out whilst doing that, in one respect, it's no different from me taking 5 minutes a day at work and looking at AAM. To me, the issue is not that a teacher took some free time to move sand, but rather then length of the school year and the amount of days our kids do not actually spend at school, that it was needs to be changed.

Teachers are an easy target for criticism based on what many perceive to be their working day and holiday time. I wouldn't do it for twice the money.

Either would I but I wouldn’t clear drains for twice the money DynoRod pay. That doesn’t mean people who clear drains are underpaid/overpaid, underworked/overworked.
What can be said is that there are far more people looking to be teachers than there are teaching posts. That tells us that the pay offered is at least sufficient to attract qualified applicants.

What the OP does with his/her legitimately earned income is irrelevant and frankly none of your business.

You seem to think that those on the public payroll should be required to forage at the lower end of the food chain.
Evidence???

Where did you get that red herring from?
In fact if you would read what I posted you might learn that in fact what I said was;

One, what does the fact that it is a private school have to do with the post!
Two, what does being a public servant have to do with the post!

So lets be very clear here, I do not think that the fact that the OP is a public servant or that they send their child to private schools has anything whatsoever to do with the post!

And shock horror, some humour
I thought you guys were all broke? How come you can aford "private" schools ,I thought that was only for rich capitalists.:D;)
Its not my fault you dont have a sense of humour!

If you care to do a search you will see that those of us who send our children to private schools have been lambasted ..
One post comes to mind re those who send their kids to private schools;
Purple;
There's a massive amount of inverted snobbery and small minded generalisation going on in this thread. Jealousy, insecurity and resentment are not attractive character traits.

A little bit of hysteria in this thread. The teacher in question if he/she is working full time would be contracted to teach 22 hours per week plus whatever preparation/correction that have to be done.

Outside of these hours, the teacher can do what they want, go for a coffee, head home for a cup of tea. It is nobody's business but the teacher in question.

My blood is at boiling point over the above issue. I think it's a disgrace that teachers who live close to schools and have free classes can nip home and do whatever during their free time. I live near a private school which my daughter attends and notice that two teachers who live in our estate come home regularly during free classes. Just saw one of them a while ago taking sand out of a trailer, before anyone accuses me of being nosey I walk regularly so cant help but notice. I work in the public service but during quiet times (rarely) I cannot go home to put out the washing etc. I pay these private teachers wages and I'm sure there is plenty for them to do in the school, go knows their day is short enough.

Maybe the teacher in question teaches construction studies and needed half a trailer of sand for a practical lesson.

Or maybe he wanted the empty trailer to take some of his pupils to an after school match....... ;)

... or maybe the trailer was going to be used for demonstration purposes for an Open Night or an Open Day - sometimes held on Saturday for prospective pupils?

Marion

My blood is at boiling point over the above issue. I think it's a disgrace that teachers who live close to schools and have free classes can nip home and do whatever during their free time. I live near a private school which my daughter attends and notice that two teachers who live in our estate come home regularly during free classes. Just saw one of them a while ago taking sand out of a trailer, before anyone accuses me of being nosey I walk regularly so cant help but notice. I work in the public service but during quiet times (rarely) I cannot go home to put out the washing etc. I pay these private teachers wages and I'm sure there is plenty for them to do in the school, go knows their day is short enough.

Here are the issues I have with this post;
Where are the laws/rules that says Teachers should stay in the school when they have a free period?
Surely the OP should contact the school to ask if this is "allowed".

It appears OP has no idea what hours the teachers work,they could work part-time,they could be subs for example and only in for a certain amount of hours.

If I had a job where I was required to be there from say 10 till 11 and not there again till two,why would I stay at the job,why wouldn't I get home if I could.?

What in the name of God has taking sand out of a trailer anything to do with OP? Who cares what they do,when and if they are not in work.

Op says she/he works in the PS and cant go home during quiet times,two things come to mind, where in the PS are there people who have quiet times?
When we are consistently told they are run off their feet? And it sounds like begrudgery , that just because the OP cant do it why should the teachers?

Op says there is plenty for them to do in the school,which may well be the case ,there are teachers who work a certain amount of hours etc,so it comes across like the OP wants the teachers to stay in the school to attend to other things happening in the school,possibly without payment,which will not happen.They may not be insured to be on the premises.

Op says their days are short enough already,well yes we all know this but the post was about them coming home during free time.
My sister was a teacher and she often dropped into my mothers house when she had a couple of free classes..I would have thought this was the norm?

If I were concerned about my kids suffering because of this, I would do so anonymously via the parents committee.

It's a good few years since I had children in school but what I found of the parents committee is that they are useless! Most parents wouldn't even know who was on that committee since elections seem to be every three or four years. Schools ought to give this imformation to parents whose children are starting school but for some reason seen reluctant to do so.

Some committees see their only role in fund raising and have no real interest in speaking out for parents, some are very close friends to the Principle and staff and are more interested in looking out for their own child's interests.

I don't really see the problem. Homework has to be corrected and classes have to be prepared. If the teacher lives close to the school and chooses to pop home during a free class to let the electrician in, hang out a wash or whatever and correct homework and prepare classes at another time, so what? Unless you have proof that these teachers are slacking and coming to class unprepared and hanging onto homework for days, you really have no case. Also, how do you know some of them don't go home to do a bit of work in peace and quiet instead of in a noisy staff room.

Also, I don't understand your point about there being 'plenty of other things' to do in the school. Teachers are paid to teach, not to clean the toilets, paint the assembly hall, or whatever else you had in mind.

I don't really see the problem. Homework has to be corrected and classes have to be prepared. If the teacher lives close to the school and chooses to pop home during a free class to let the electrician in, hang out a wash or whatever and correct homework and prepare classes at another time, so what? Unless you have proof that these teachers are slacking and coming to class unprepared and hanging onto homework for days, you really have no case. Also, how do you know some of them don't go home to do a bit of work in peace and quiet instead of in a noisy staff room.

Also, I don't understand your point about there being 'plenty of other things' to do in the school. Teachers are paid to teach, not to clean the toilets, paint the assembly hall, or whatever else you had in mind.

+1 and i'd love to speak to a teacher at the top of the salary scale who takes home 75k. Err, what about all the cuts in the last two years?

+1 and i'd love to speak to a teacher at the top of the salary scale who takes home 75k. Err, what about all the cuts in the last two years?

I also very much doubt that a teacher at the top of the salary scale earns €75K.

In fact according to the ASTI website, the top scale (level 25) is €59,359. An that was from the 1st Jan 2010. This will have been reduced with the cuts.

There are qualifications allowances and others that might bring this up a bit but would imagine you would find it difficult to find any second level teacher earning anywhere near this.

I also very much doubt that a teacher at the top of the salary scale earns €75K.

In fact according to the ASTI website, the top scale (level 25) is €59,359. An that was from the 1st Jan 2010. This will have been reduced with the cuts.

There are qualifications allowances and others that might bring this up a bit but would imagine you would find it difficult to find any second level teacher earning anywhere near this.

€59,359 plus €5'469 for having a Masters plus up to €8'520 special functions allowance or up to €22'645 for having a post of responsibility (55% of secondary teachers have special function posts or posts of responsibility).
Details [broken link removed]

€59,359 plus €5'469 for having a Masters plus up to €8'520 special functions allowance or up to €22'645 for having a post of responsibility (55% of secondary teachers have special function posts or posts of responsibility).
Details [broken link removed]

Anyone know how long it takes to get to level 25 on the salary scale?

So, reading correctly. Anyone who is earning €75K would have been working 25 years or more as a teacher. Not entirely unreasonable to expect that kind of money if you were working in the same company/industry with 25 years experience?

Still a hell of a lot less than a lot of people in the public sector (HSE, OPW etc), and significantly less than any of our TD's/Ministers. In fact, its significantly less than most of their expenses and or pension/golden handshake payments.

Back