Teachers/Free classes

folks its 75K gross, factor in 2 yrs of cuts, income levy, pension levy, and the social charge, 75K my;)

How much per hour do they get paid?
This would be a better way of looking at things.

Would it?

Are you including the hours the poor man in the original post spent using the trailer to ferry the kids to the match, the time he spent at the match and the time he spent dropping the kids home afterwards? ;)

Or would you calculate just for the hours he works in school, and quote that as his hourly rate, thus freeing him from the expectation of having to spend time planning, doing corrections, using the trailer taking the children to matches, meeting parents after school, coaching after school, spending nights in the church at first confessions and Saturdays at First Communions and Confirmations, going on school tours and arriving home at 7 or 8 o' clock, etc? :confused:

Would it?

Are you including the hours the poor man in the original post spent using the trailer to ferry the kids to the match, the time he spent at the match and the time he spent dropping the kids home afterwards? ;)

Or would you calculate just for the hours he works in school, and quote that as his hourly rate, thus freeing him from the expectation of having to spend time planning, doing corrections, using the trailer taking the children to matches, meeting parents after school, coaching after school, spending nights in the church at first confessions and Saturdays at First Communions and Confirmations, going on school tours and arriving home at 7 or 8 o' clock, etc? :confused:

That's always the dilemma; there are teachers who spend many hours a week correcting, preparing for classes, doing extracurricular activities etc. It is those teachers that are held up as justification for pay rates that are high by European and OECD standards. Then there are other teachers that do the bare minimum, just enough to get through their week. They are the teachers who are used to attach the whole sector by those who think that 22 hours a week 33 weeks a year is too little to justify the salary.
The truth, as usual is somewhere in between. My gripe is that teachers so strongly oppose any attempts to root out the wasters from within their midst and increase standards generally. I don’t understand why any teacher would want to be judged by the very lowest standard. The answer is always some nonsensical guff along the lines of “but how do you measure what a teacher does?” as if there isn’t a whole industry that does just that very thing.

Would it?

Or would you calculate just for the hours he works in school, and quote that as his hourly rate, thus freeing him from the expectation of having to spend time planning, doing corrections, using the trailer taking the children to matches, meeting parents after school, coaching after school, spending nights in the church at first confessions and Saturdays at First Communions and Confirmations, going on school tours and arriving home at 7 or 8 o' clock, etc? :confused:[/QUOTE

If that were the case then most workers could technically reduce the amount per hour they are paid ,by counting in the hours they work outside "work".

However most dont include these as some of what you say the teachers do is in fact voluntary.And please dont go down the road of how all teachers do this..they do not!
So yes please someone let us know the teachers hourly rate..

Would it?

Or would you calculate just for the hours he works in school, and quote that as his hourly rate, thus freeing him from the expectation of having to spend time planning, doing corrections, using the trailer taking the children to matches, meeting parents after school, coaching after school, spending nights in the church at first confessions and Saturdays at First Communions and Confirmations, going on school tours and arriving home at 7 or 8 o' clock, etc? :confused:[/QUOTE

If that were the case then most workers could technically reduce the amount per hour they are paid ,by counting in the hours they work outside "work".

However most dont include these as some of what you say the teachers do is in fact voluntary.And please dont go down the road of how all teachers do this..they do not!
So yes please someone let us know the teachers hourly rate..

22 hours a week x 33 weeks a year = 726.
Look at their pay scale and divide by 726. At the top of the scale its over €100 per hour of classroom time. Starting salary is €33'200 (basic plus primary degree and H-Dip allowance which they all have to have) so 33'200 / 726 = €45 an hour. Not bad for a 23 year old on day one in a job.

22 hours a week x 33 weeks a year = 726.
Look at their pay scale and divide by 726. At the top of the scale its over €100 per hour of classroom time. Starting salary is €33'200 (basic plus primary degree and H-Dip allowance which they all have to have) so 33'200 / 726 = €45 an hour. Not bad for a 23 year old on day one in a job.

I met the principal of one of the schools in our parish earlier. They open at 8:50 and finish at 2:30. All primary schools have the same length of school day and the school year is 183 days. That's 5.66 hours x 183 which equals 1035 hours, a bit more than the 726 you used in your calculation.

According to the INTO website, the starting salary, plus primary degree allowance, is €32,746. This divided by 1035 equals about €31.60 per hour. It's a crude way of calculating an hourly rate as every teacher has to plan, correct, etc., including those who don't involve themselves in the voluntary activities that Thedaras referred to.

Still, €32,746 is not bad for someone entering employment but, being responsible for the education of 20-30 children for a whole year, probably couldn't be compared to someone starting just any job.

And I don't think the INTO figure quoted above has taken into consideration that, in the last budget, the Minister for Finance announced that teachers entering service, from this year, will begin their teaching career on a 10% lower starting salary.

I met the principal of one of the schools in our parish earlier. They open at 8:50 and finish at 2:30. All primary schools have the same length of school day and the school year is 183 days. That's 5.66 hours x 183 which equals 1035 hours, a bit more than the 726 you used in your calculation.

According to the INTO website, the starting salary, plus primary degree allowance, is €32,746. This divided by 1035 equals about €31.60 per hour. It's a crude way of calculating an hourly rate as every teacher has to plan, correct, etc., including those who don't involve themselves in the voluntary activities that Thedaras referred to.

Still, €32,746 is not bad for someone entering employment but, being responsible for the education of 20-30 children for a whole year, probably couldn't be compared to someone starting just any job.

And I don't think the INTO figure quoted above has taken into consideration that, in the last budget, the Minister for Finance announced that teachers entering service, from this year, will begin their teaching career on a 10% lower starting salary.

I agree re primary school teachers. They have to work a full day (if a very short one) and "only" get 15 weeks holidays and, in most cases, they made a conscious decision to train as teachers in college (rather than, like many secondary teachers, doing an arts degree and then a H-Dip because they didn't know what else to do).

The figures I quoted for secondary teachers must also be reduced by 10% for new applicants from the start of this year.

I also agree that the overall yearly pay isn’t great but when the short hours, long holidays and good pension are factored into the overall package then it’s not at all bad.

I do think teachers' hours and holidays are very very attractive. But they have a responsible job and a lot of them spend time outside of the schoolday correcting homework, tidying up the classroom after the kids are gone, setting exams, meeting parents, and so on.

It's not a tough number by any means, but neither is it a cushy job. I think they earn a fair salary for the work they do and there's an awful lot of begrudgers out there.

I'm not a teacher and not related to any teachers, just my objective view.

Some posters have mentioned that a teachers starting salary is 32k and that most teachers with 25 years experience get c.75k.

There is too big a difference between the 2 figures. I do not believe that where 2 people are doing the same job, one should be paid twice the others salary. I can understand the more experienced person maybe getting 20-30% more, but thats all. This type of salary scale needs reform - top getting paid too much, bottom getting paid too little.

Some posters have mentioned that a teachers starting salary is 32k and that most teachers with 25 years experience get c.75k.

There is too big a difference between the 2 figures. I do not believe that where 2 people are doing the same job, one should be paid twice the others salary. I can understand the more experienced person maybe getting 20-30% more, but thats all. This type of salary scale needs reform - top getting paid too much, bottom getting paid too little.

The basic salary scale runs from approx. € 31,000 to approx.€ 59,400.

Any further payments are based on enhanced further responsibility and achieving further academic qualifications.

It should also be noted that allowances for qualifications are non-cumulative (unlike Dail pensions). The revised pension arrangements, i.e. based on average earnings, make their pensions considerably less attractive.
I have a number of teachers in my family. I have the height of respect for all of them. The general consensus I get is that the school day is long enough but the school year is too short for all of the extras that have been added to the curriculum over the last few years. They all agree that parent-teacher meetings should take place in the evening.

As I have posted before, there are members of my family who are teachers, they are all off this week,in fact they are not back until the 28th..

Yes, thedaras they do have nice hours and holidays, But that's to facilitate the children not the teachers. Are you saying that we should only pay teachers a part time salary and expect them to live and support their families on that, while also wanting the best available for our children???

How does this facilitate the children?
Where did I say I expect them to be paid a part time salary?
My only point is that the parents of those children who are off until the 28th are in work..

Yes, thedaras they do have nice hours and holidays, But that's to facilitate the children not the teachers.
I would question that, given that most children are no longer needed for planting or the harvest.

What I'm saying is that school hours and holidays aren't set from instructions by the teacher. They are set by the Dept of Education with the education of the children in mind. They are a nice perk for the teachers, yes, but it's not 'their fault'. If the Dept decided to reduce school holidays (which I think they certainly should in the case of Secondary schools. 3 months every Summer is ridiculous) of course teachers would be raging, but they wouldn't have any right to be.

How does this facilitate the children?
Where did I say I expect them to be paid a part time salary?
My only point is that the parents of those children who are off until the 28th are in work..
Yes, because they're not teachers. You seem to be saying that schools should be open for the same amount of time as normal businesses, but they're a completely different entity. The fact that the parents of the children are still at work is not really relelvant.

What I'm saying is that school hours and holidays aren't set from instructions by the teacher. They are set by the Dept of Education with the education of the children in mind. They are a nice perk for the teachers, yes, but it's not 'their fault'. If the Dept decided to reduce school holidays (which I think they certainly should in the case of Secondary schools. 3 months every Summer is ridiculous) of course teachers would be raging, but they wouldn't have any right to be.
I agree ,it is not their fault..

I do think teachers' hours and holidays are very very attractive. But they have a responsible job and a lot of them spend time outside of the schoolday correcting homework, tidying up the classroom after the kids are gone, setting exams, meeting parents, and so on.

It's not a tough number by any means, but neither is it a cushy job. I think they earn a fair salary for the work they do and there's an awful lot of begrudgers out there.

I'm not a teacher and not related to any teachers, just my objective view.

As I have posted before, there are members of my family who are teachers, they are all off this week,in fact they are not back until the 28th..

Y'know, I think you might be onto something there, Liaconn.... ;)

Back