Re-Turn Plastic Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they, I seem to remember back in 1985 they launched a new flavour Coke that didn't do to well
In fact I think it's used as an example in marketing courses of how not to do things ;)

But having said that I think any company that has been around for 138 years know what there doing when it comes to running there own business and how to maximise profits but whether there acting in the best interests of the environment or "greenwashing" I can't say
If you have go to back 39 years to identify a major marketing error on their part, I think that rather confirms my point.

Their share price has increased exponentially in the past 40 years.

I frankly fail to see how the variety of products they offer has anything to do with the environment.

I frankly fail to see how the variety of products they offer has anything to do with the environment.
Well Mr McGibney we're at that point again in these discussions about the environment where you don't see the point or agree with what I'm suggesting so with all due respect we'll leave it there

Well Mr McGibney we're at that point again in these discussions about the environment where you don't see the point or agree with what I'm suggesting so with all due respect we'll leave it there
Come on, you know full well that a company offering a product in a range of can and bottle sizes should really have no real impact on the environment.

In fact, the tailoring of product sizes to suit demand should if anything reduce the aggregate volumes respectively produced and wasted.

Has this scheme been introduced in the North of Ireland?

If not, I think I'll be making a trip across the border, to stock up, from time to time.... then just throw the empties in my green bin, or the local bottle recycling bins, from time to time. Far less hassle, and I don't have to be financially penalised for the pleasure.

btw the declared reason for including aluminium cans in the scheme was that it was needed in order to fund the scheme, rather than because it was needed to meet recycling targets for that category.

Had the deposit been charged only on plastic bottles and not cans, I could see many people \ shops switching to them.

Not so:

I live near a shop, it will be interesting to see if the mix of litter generated in the area will change.
That doesn't contradict my statement that plastic bottles/cans are likely the items with the highest rate of recycling. We all know they go in a green bin. Not sure about the pizza box or wet coffee cup - is it really cardboard or a mix of plastic/cardboard ? i don't really know

I'll repeat, this is a expensive administrative heavy system that is not needed and dreamt up by someone in the EPA to create a sense they are doing something useful. Meanwhile we pump raw or barely treated sewage into the sea in many towns.

I tried today to return some bottles that don't have the Re-Turn logo on them but the machine rejected them
I tried a machine in both Lidl and Dunnes with the same result
I was under the impression that there is a transitioning period from the 1st of February till May where the machine will allow bottles without the logo to be returned
The bottles I tried to return are the same as is on sale in Dunnes at the moment which I presume has the price increase €3.15 for a 2 Litre Diet 7up

From the Re-turn website
*To prevent waste, for a limited period from 1 February, there will be some stock of plastic bottles and cans that may not feature the Re-turn logo. Should consumers be charged a deposit on these drinks containers, please be assured that you will get your deposit back when you return empty and undamaged to RVM Deposit Return Points nationwide.

I asked the manager in Lidl and he said only bottles with the Logo will be accepted!!!

Anybody else having the same problem???
This is a stealth tax brought in by the greens . Even though you are charged extra money you only get a voucher back. The government knows that the majority of people are not going to store cans so it’s a win win for this disgraceful underhand tax. Can and plastic bottle recycle bins are used widely by people so this stealth tax was not required. Remember this come election time. If they can dress it up as recycling and saving the planet they will introduce further stealth taxes. The greens have destroyed Dublin City and put a stop to further expansion of our road network including cancelling required bye passes and road upgrades.

This is a stealth tax brought in by the greens . Even though you are charged extra money you only get a voucher back. The government knows that the majority of people are not going to store cans so it’s a win win for this disgraceful underhand tax. Can and plastic bottle recycle bins are used widely by people so this stealth tax was not required. Remember this come election time. If they can dress it up as recycling and saving the planet they will introduce further stealth taxes. The greens have destroyed Dublin City and put a stop to further expansion of our road network including cancelling required bye passes and road upgrades.
There is nothing stealth about it. Nor is it a tax.

You pay a deposit. You get it back when you can be bothered to bring your bottle back. Simple as. Don’t like it? Buy a soda stream. Plenty of flavours to choose from.

Or just drink tap water

That doesn't contradict my statement that plastic bottles/cans are likely the items with the highest rate of recycling.
Your initial statement just mentioned bottles, not cans. Total plastic recycling is significantly lower than the overall packaging recycling rate. With bottles making up such a significant portion of plastics, the numbers don't suggest high rates of recycling. Let's face it, if the recycling rate was anywhere close to the targets they wouldn't have introduced this scheme in the first place.

Not sure about the pizza box or wet coffee cup - is it really cardboard or a mix of plastic/cardboard ? i don't really know
Pizza boxes:
Your takeaway pizza box can go in the recycling bin, even if it has grease on it. But if there is any part of the box that is contaminated with food, tear it off and place it in the food waste bin.

Coffee cups have a lining that mean they are not recyclable, they are generally compostable and will state such on the side, but really only in commercial composters.

I'll repeat, this is a expensive administrative heavy system that is not needed
While I'm not a fan of deposit schemes, many other countries have shown them to be successful. What do you think is required reverse falling recycling rates to ensure we meet our targets and avoid fines, and how much would that alternative cost?

Deposit return schemes are very successful in other countries. They also used to be successful in Ireland with glass bottles before that was abandoned.

While the current scheme has its faults at the moment with implementation these should get ironed out over the next few months.

Deposit return schemes are very successful in other countries. They also used to be successful in Ireland with glass bottles before that was abandoned.

While the current scheme has its faults at the moment with implementation these should get ironed out over the next few months.
Ireland had kerbside road collection of these items (cans and bottles), my understanding is that most other countries did not.

In other countries that operated the scheme, they mandated far more outlets to co-operate with the scheme and accept manual returns.

Ireland seems to be an outlier in this. So we are not really operating the same scheme as other countries.

Last edited:
You can always save time by not buying them in the first place? You will save money then also. If time is money and money is money you’ve doubled your saving
Sure just ban them then. Be grand. There'd be no consequences for jobs or anything like that.

It is an inconvenience to current state of play and don't pretend otherwise. And there will be over time some small monetary loss from rejected items, items you aren't able to return for one reason or another even with best efforts to adhere to the scheme.

Ireland had kerbside road collection of these items, my understanding is that most other countries did not.
For milk yes. Not for all glass bottles. My point exactly. Other countries do not and yet they are still successful. It is Irish mentality and laziness that will cause this not to be successful (once the flaws are ironed out)

Do they, I seem to remember back in 1985 they launched a new flavour Coke that didn't do to well
In fact I think it's used as an example in marketing courses of how not to do things ;)

But having said that I think any company that has been around for 138 years know what there doing when it comes to running there own business and how to maximise profits but whether there acting in the best interests of the e
You could dedicate a whole business course to Coca Cola both good and bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back